Claudia Pickeral

Midnightrider

It’s absolutely disgusting that murderer was set free. That he is living next to an elementary school now is a beyond words

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I remember this case. It's shameful that he only served 20 of 30 years. Should have been life. Utterly disgusting he can live right by an elementary school as a sex offender.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just want to point out that if he had been slaughtered like the animal he was, this wouldn't be an issue now. The only fly in that ointment is that from what I read, we really didn't have the preponderance of evidence that I think is needed for a fast track. But life woulda been fine with me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Green is on both the Maryland and Charles County sex offender registries. A spokesman for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Corrections said there are no regulations that automatically prohibit a sex offender from living next to a school

?

I thought there was. Why wouldn't the Maryland legislature, who love to regulate and control everything under the sun, not have this common sense safeguard?

awpitt

Main Streeter
?

I thought there was. Why wouldn't the Maryland legislature, who love to regulate and control everything under the sun, not have this common sense safeguard?

I thought the same thing. That sex offenders weren't allowed to live in school zones.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Are There Any Restrictions on Where a Sex Offender Can Live?

A perpetrator of sexual assault is very unlikely to be someone who is a stranger to you and your family. Most sexual crimes are committed by someone who has access to you or your children.

Approximately two-thirds of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.1
73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.1
38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.1
28% are an intimate partner.1
7% are a relative.1
797,500 children (younger than 18) were reported missing in a one-year period of time studied resulting in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day.2
203,900 children were the victims of family abductions. 2
58,200 children were the victims of non-family abductions. 2
·Of the 797,500 kidnappings only 115 children were the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping. These crimes involve someone the child does not know or a slight acquaintance who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently. 2

1U.S. Department of Justice. 2005 National Crime Victimization Study. 2005.
2U.S. Department of Justice. "National Estimates of Missing Children: An
Overview" in National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrown away Children. 2005.

No, Maryland does not have any residency restrictions. Information put out by other states has shown that residency restrictions do not help to prevent sexual offenses from occurring because the victims and the offenders, in most situations, know each other. Having ready access to victims, in private and secretive environments, is how sex offenders thrive.

Some states, such as Iowa and Florida, have found that residency restrictions can make it very difficult to track sex offenders who have become homeless. Homeless sex offenders are also more difficult to register and without an address the registry is unable to tell the public where the offender lives. Homeless sex offenders are better able to operate in private and secretive environments. By registering a sex offender with a valid address the police, the Sex Offender Registry and the community are all better able to make sure that offender is not able to re-offend.

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/onlineservs/sor/frequently_asked_questions.shtml#III

Doesn't seem right, but my big question is why he is in a sober living house at all since he has been in jail for 20 years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some states, such as Iowa and Florida, have found that residency restrictions can make it very difficult to track sex offenders who have become homeless. Homeless sex offenders are also more difficult to register and without an address the registry is unable to tell the public where the offender lives. Homeless sex offenders are better able to operate in private and secretive environments. By registering a sex offender with a valid address the police, the Sex Offender Registry and the community are all better able to make sure that offender is not able to re-offend.

That is the dumbest ####ing thing I've ever heard. Congratulations, Maryland!

"Oh, we don't have residency restrictions because most attackers are someone the child knows...." Like, um, a freaking neighbor???

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
why is there a sober living house so close to a school? :shrug:

There is one about 2 blocks away from Greenview Knolls Elementary. It's technically a woman's facility, disguised as a regular home in a regular neighborhood, but there are ####bag guys with prison tats hanging out there all the time visiting their wimmins. That whole neighborhood has gone to hell and I feel sorry for the people who bought my house.

officeguy

Florida had some pretty substantial stand-offs on where offenders could live. With all the facilities they had to stay clear of (churches, schools, residential facilites), the only place a sex offender in Dade county could live was under a highway overpass on an island in Biscane bay.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Doesn't seem right, but my big question is why he is in a sober living house at all since he has been in jail for 20 years.

That is crazy. Putting a felon in with a bunch of addicts, or former. What could possibly go wrong.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
the only place a sex offender in Dade county could live was under a highway overpass on an island in Biscane bay.

Where there is a high probability that some bath salts junkie will eat their face.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Florida had some pretty substantial stand-offs on where offenders could live. With all the facilities they had to stay clear of (churches, schools, residential facilites), the only place a sex offender in Dade county could live was under a highway overpass on an island in Biscane bay.

They should have thought about that before they became a sex offender.

Kinnakeet

IMO he should have been killed and save the tax payers some money..
From a place he will never see comes a sound he will never hear

mitzi

That is the dumbest ####ing thing I've ever heard. Congratulations, Maryland!

"Oh, we don't have residency restrictions because most attackers are someone the child knows...." Like, um, a freaking neighbor???

This makes sense as far as being able to keep tabs on them. But there still should be a restriction on living so close to a school or in a building with children. When I lived in an apartment there was child sex offender living in our building. The only way I knew about it was from looking at the sex offender registry (which I do periodically) and recognized the picture of one of them. I was like holy sh*t, that's the guy downstairs. The next day EVERYONE in my building knew about it because I told them. We had a right to know and one the girls living there had 2 small kids. She made calls and we found out about the no restriction on where they can live. I was shocked. Once I was aware of this, I did notice that at least once a week a deputy came by to verify he still lived there. I still never would have thought this would ok with their back yard up against a school. Now, with over 700 signatures on a petition to not release him, the parole board still does. The entire system is a cluster. I know Rossignal's paper are written like tabloids but I give credit to him for keeping up with this guy over the years. Had he not contacted Bruce Lashan, the public may not have known about this.

awpitt

Main Streeter
There is one about 2 blocks away from Greenview Knolls Elementary. It's technically a woman's facility, disguised as a regular home in a regular neighborhood, but there are ####bag guys with prison tats hanging out there all the time visiting their wimmins. That whole neighborhood has gone to hell and I feel sorry for the people who bought my house.

Heck, I didn't know that.