CaliFU Drafting Plan To Tax Text Messages, Reports Say

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
California state regulators are working on a plan to charge cell phone users a fee for text messaging, all in the name of collecting taxpayer money to pay for programs to make phone service cheaper to low-income residents, the San Jose Mercury News reported.

And cell phone users might have to retroactively pay the fee for the last five years.

Business groups, including the Bay Area Council, California Chamber of Commerce and Silicon Valley Leadership Group and others opposing the idea, calculated the new charges for wireless consumers could total about $44.5 million a year.

But they add that under the regulators’ proposal the charge could be applied retroactively for five years — which they call “an alarming precedent” — and could amount to a bill of more than $220 million for California consumers.

LOL: California Drafting Plan To Tax Text Messages, Reports Say

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
stupidfactory.jpg

Rommey

How would/could such a tax work? Does it only tax people whose cell phones have a California area code? If this tax were in place and I were to go there on vacation, how would they tax my Maryland area code cell phone? And would a resident of another state be liable for such a tax?

BOP

How would/could such a tax work? Does it only tax people whose cell phones have a California area code? If this tax were in place and I were to go there on vacation, how would they tax my Maryland area code cell phone? And would a resident of another state be liable for such a tax?

1step: create a new bureaucracy.