Cohen sentenced to three years in prison

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought he had a plea deal? Normally campaign finance violations are punished with a fine, and lying to Congress? Seriously? If that were a prison offense, Hillary Clinton would never see the light of day again.

Michael Cohen, the former personal lawyer and fixer for President Donald Trump, was ordered imprisoned Wednesday for three years for a range of crimes, including ones which helped cover up Trump's "dirty deeds" and put the president in legal peril.

"I take full responsibility for each act that I pled guilty to — the personal ones to me and those involving the president of the United States of America," an emotional Cohen said in federal court in Manhattan.

The 52-year-old attorney also was ordered by Judge William Pauley to pay $1.39 million in restitution, $500,000 in forfeiture, and $100,000 in fines.

"Blind loyalty" to Trump "led me to take a path of darkness instead of light," Cohen told Pauley.

And that loyalty led to his effort to cover up president's "dirty deeds," Cohen said, before being sentenced for a range of financial crimes, lying to Congress, and playing a key role in keeping two women quiet about purported afffairs with Trump shortly before the 2016 presidential election.

That's a little more than campaign violations, don'cha think?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Just in time for prison sentencing reform to kick in. First time, non violent offender. He should be home shortly.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No, it's exactly a campaign finance violation. None of those other things you mentioned in your unsourced cut and paste are against the law.

The tax evasion conviction played a big part in his sentence....and a big part in the large restitution he was hit with...over 2 million in fines and restitution altogether...NONE of which had squat to do with paying off the hookers.

There isn't a flying chance in hell that Trump will be charged or convicted of anything related to those payoffs. They couldn't nail Edwards for worse...and it wasn't for lack of trying.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
No, it's exactly a campaign finance violation. None of those other things you mentioned in your unsourced cut and paste are against the law.

"Lying to Congress" is against the law. That's one of the counts Olie North was convicted of before the ACLU helped him with getting it vacated.

This_person

That's a little more than campaign violations, don'cha think?

It was a lot more than campaign violations. In fact, the campaign stuff was very minor:

NBC News said:
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, pleaded guilty Tuesday afternoon to eight counts of tax evasion, bank fraud and campaign finance violations, including two counts related to hush-money payments made to women.

The bulk of the problems had nothing to do with Trump. The campaign violations to which he pled guilty are strongly arguable as not being campaign violations at all.

According to the article referenced above:
The judge noted that Cohen could serve up to 65 years in prison, though the prosecutors' recommended sentence is 46 to 63 months.

Could have gotten 65 years, recommendation was four years at least, he got three. What does that tell you?

This_person

"Lying to Congress" is against the law. That's one of the counts Olie North was convicted of before the ACLU helped him with getting it vacated.

Admittedly, it is virtually never prosecuted. We'd have very few politicians and cabinet-level leadership outside of jail if it were.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What difference at this point does it make?

I'm not saying it does. I was responding to your comment, "None of those other things you mentioned in your unsourced cut and paste are against the law."

One of the "other things" listed was lying to Congress, which is against the law.

Sapidus

I
The tax evasion conviction played a big part in his sentence....and a big part in the large restitution he was hit with...over 2 million in fines and restitution altogether...NONE of which had squat to do with paying off the hookers.

There isn't a flying chance in hell that Trump will be charged or convicted of anything related to those payoffs. They couldn't nail Edwards for worse...and it wasn't for lack of trying.

Don’t be so sure dumbass. AMI has now flipped and is testifying against him.

Hijinx

I thought he had a plea deal? Normally campaign finance violations are punished with a fine, and lying to Congress? Seriously? If that were a prison offense, Hillary Clinton would never see the light of day again.

Now you know better than that Hillary never gets to court.
She is immune.

Hijinx

It was a lot more than campaign violations. In fact, the campaign stuff was very minor:

The bulk of the problems had nothing to do with Trump. The campaign violations to which he pled guilty are strongly arguable as not being campaign violations at all.

According to the article referenced above:

Could have gotten 65 years, recommendation was four years at least, he got three. What does that tell you?

And probably in a Social Club prison like Mandel went to.
All part of the deal.

Hijinx

You missed my point.

But speaking of Her Highness Rodham Clinton, James Comey testified in front of Congress that she lied her ass off to the committee. Where is her indictment?

We all know where it is. There will never be one. Certain people are immune.

BOP

I'm not saying it does. I was responding to your comment, "None of those other things you mentioned in your unsourced cut and paste are against the law."

One of the "other things" listed was lying to Congress, which is against the law.

So why isn't Congress lying to the American people against the law?