Khashoggi is the right TIME Person of the Year – for all the wrong reasons

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Let’s remember that before he fled to the US a year before he was cruelly murdered in Istanbul, Khashoggi became rich working for a Saudi royal family that was, and remains, among the world’s worst persecutors of journalists. He edited government-controlled Saudi newspapers, which are without exception regime propaganda outlets, and headed TV news channels that were owned by Saudi princes.

Then he outdid himself by working as a media adviser to a senior Saudi prince in London and Washington. He embraced with unbridled enthusiasm his role of justifying Saudi regime atrocities in the Western media. He even denied on the BBC that anyone was ever tortured in Saudi Arabia. He wound up in Istanbul under the (not very useful, as it turned out) protection of his pal Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a fellow Muslim Brotherhood extremist who has jailed more journalists than any other leader on Earth. And his columns for the Post were a plea for the Saudi crown prince to embrace the political Islam espoused by the Muslim Brotherhood, an organization hardly known wherever it spreads its poisonous tentacles for its love of freedom of expression.

In reality, then, Khashoggi represented everything that is repressive and repugnant about journalism in the Arab world. His inclusion as a martyr for truth telling is an insult to the others, because he was the very last ‘journalist’ anyone should ever have trusted on whatever subject you care to mention. It’s well past time that everybody stopped pretending otherwise.

https://spectator.us/jamal-khashoggi-time-person-year/

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So basically, to become "Person of the year" now you just need to piss off some despot and get murdered.

Hijinx

Let’s remember that before he fled to the US a year before he was cruelly murdered in Istanbul, Khashoggi became rich working for a Saudi royal family that was, and remains, among the world’s worst persecutors of journalists. He edited government-controlled Saudi newspapers, which are without exception regime propaganda outlets, and headed TV news channels that were owned by Saudi princes.

Then he outdid himself by working as a media adviser to a senior Saudi prince in London and Washington. He embraced with unbridled enthusiasm his role of justifying Saudi regime atrocities in the Western media. He even denied on the BBC that anyone was ever tortured in Saudi Arabia. He wound up in Istanbul under the (not very useful, as it turned out) protection of his pal Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a fellow Muslim Brotherhood extremist who has jailed more journalists than any other leader on Earth. And his columns for the Post were a plea for the Saudi crown prince to embrace the political Islam espoused by the Muslim Brotherhood, an organization hardly known wherever it spreads its poisonous tentacles for its love of freedom of expression.

In reality, then, Khashoggi represented everything that is repressive and repugnant about journalism in the Arab world. His inclusion as a martyr for truth telling is an insult to the others, because he was the very last ‘journalist’ anyone should ever have trusted on whatever subject you care to mention. It’s well past time that everybody stopped pretending otherwise.

https://spectator.us/jamal-khashoggi-time-person-year/

But-But-But he worked for the NY Slimes.

SamSpade

The premise behind "XXX of the Year" is - what generated the most news coverage for the year?

NORMALLY - and for most of the magazine's history - this is a *person*. I think, within the last couple decades
they've veered a LOT from that, possibly because nominating someone loathsome is misunderstood by the public.
Past Persons of the Year have included Hitler, Stalin and Khomeini.

This would be the eighth time since 2000 a non-person was chosen.

I am however, not surprised that a magazine chose to honor - journalist.

But there's extremely little doubt in my mind that the biggest news-makers of the past year were these,
unless you live your whole life in a newsroom.

BOP

So basically, to become "Person of the year" now you just need to piss off some despot and get murdered.

Now, now...there's no actual proof that Hillz actually had anyone murdered. Even though the body count is somewhere above 60, last time I heard.

Oh, sorry; you said "despot" and that's where my mind immediately went.

Never mind.

SamSpade

Now, now...there's no actual proof that Hillz actually had anyone murdered. Even though the body count is somewhere above 60, last time I heard.

I've never believed or put much faith at all in the Clinton Body Count. When I've looked into it, some of the connection
to the Clintons is extremely thin, to put it mildly. Some of them are just written wrong - one of them had the same name
as my sister's boss, so when I checked it out, the "death" wasn't the same name as in the "count".

But I'd also be leery of the Clintons if I were in politics. My wife and I watch "How to Get Away With Murder" (although
we are tiring of it) and while they have gotten away with it - anyone watching this small group of persons HAVE to wonder
how it is possible that so many people in their orbit end up dead. Kind of why I said back when Obama did NOT choose
Hillary as VP - "would YOU want the only thing stopping Hillary from being President, your still beating heart?".

Hijinx

I've never believed or put much faith at all in the Clinton Body Count. When I've looked into it, some of the connection
to the Clintons is extremely thin, to put it mildly. Some of them are just written wrong - one of them had the same name
as my sister's boss, so when I checked it out, the "death" wasn't the same name as in the "count".

But I'd also be leery of the Clintons if I were in politics. My wife and I watch "How to Get Away With Murder" (although
we are tiring of it) and while they have gotten away with it - anyone watching this small group of persons HAVE to wonder
how it is possible that so many people in their orbit end up dead. Kind of why I said back when Obama did NOT choose
Hillary as VP - "would YOU want the only thing stopping Hillary from being President, your still beating heart?".

Like you, I don't put much faith in their body count, but how many have gone down ( gone to jail) to keep them from going.