Dershowitz: Cohen Doesn't Understand The Difference Between Wrong And Illegal

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dershowitz explained that presidential candidates can spend however much personal money they wish to help their own campaign without it being illegal. In the worst case scenario, Trump aided his own campaign by ordering Cohen to pay hush money to paramours as his personal attorney, which would not be illegal. Immoral, yes. Sleazy, yes. Illegal, not so much.

"If a presidential candidate, took cash and went to one of these women and said, 'I'm paying you not to disclose what happened and I'm doing it in order to help myself be elected president,' that would not be a crime," Dershowitz said. "A president is entitled to make campaign contributions to his own campaign. The only issue is if he did it at all, did he do it properly. To the extent that he authorized Cohen, that makes them payments by the president, which makes them legal."

"Whether you think it's wrong or right, I don't understand the case for how it's illegal," Dershowitz continued. "If you look at the very, very complicated campaign laws, the one thing that comes out simply is that a candidate may himself or herself contribute as much as they want to a campaign."

officeguy

He may still have to report it as a campaign expenditure. Considering the millions Trump spend on getting the presidency, the 380k spent on paying off some strippers would have been a footnote in his disclosures. Not reporting a private campaign related expenditure is hardly an impeachable offense.

The sad thing is that neither Flynn talking to some russians nor the lawyer paying off some whores would have been illegal. Lying about those things to the FBI is.

Last edited:

transporter

Dershowitz explained that presidential candidates can spend however much personal money they wish to help their own campaign without it being illegal. In the worst case scenario, Trump aided his own campaign by ordering Cohen to pay hush money to paramours as his personal attorney, which would not be illegal. Immoral, yes. Sleazy, yes. Illegal, not so much.

"If a presidential candidate, took cash and went to one of these women and said, 'I'm paying you not to disclose what happened and I'm doing it in order to help myself be elected president,' that would not be a crime," Dershowitz said. "A president is entitled to make campaign contributions to his own campaign. The only issue is if he did it at all, did he do it properly. To the extent that he authorized Cohen, that makes them payments by the president, which makes them legal."

"Whether you think it's wrong or right, I don't understand the case for how it's illegal," Dershowitz continued. "If you look at the very, very complicated campaign laws, the one thing that comes out simply is that a candidate may himself or herself contribute as much as they want to a campaign."

Keep trying comrade...keep posting how actions that the defendant pleads guilty to on the advice of counsel and a plea that is accepted by the judge are legal. You just keep right on posting....you can post the Cohen's actions were legal for the entirety of the time he sits in jail.

Dershowitz has lost all credibility as he is now just another right wing hack.

Dershowitz's opinions on TV are now challenged by noobs on a consistent basis....to his face. You seem to forget that Cohen set up a shell company, that was funded with Cohen's money to pay off Daniels. Trump lied at every stage about this. He never knew about the payment to Daniels and McDougal. Then Gulliani said it was paid back over time...the implication was that the payments were hidden (i.e. covered up) as billing notices.

So every time you post that Trump used his own money to pay off Daniels is at best OPINION (because none of us, including dailycaller, Sean Hannity, townhall or Alan Dershowitz know what Mueller's team knows about how the re-payment was made) and at worst a complete fabrication.

Trump could have used the money from his charitable foundation to pay his debt to Cohen...lord knows that Trump paying his legal fees IS the purpose of his charitable foundation.

Hijinx

Keep trying comrade...keep posting how actions that the defendant pleads guilty to on the advice of counsel and a plea that is accepted by the judge are legal. You just keep right on posting....you can post the Cohen's actions were legal for the entirety of the time he sits in jail.

Dershowitz's opinions on TV are now challenged by noobs on a consistent basis....to his face. You seem to forget that Cohen set up a shell company, that was funded with Cohen's money to pay off Daniels. Trump lied at every stage about this. He never knew about the payment to Daniels and McDougal. Then Gulliani said it was paid back over time...the implication was that the payments were hidden (i.e. covered up) as billing notices.

So every time you post that Trump used his own money to pay off Daniels is at best OPINION (because none of us, including dailycaller, Sean Hannity, townhall or Alan Dershowitz know what Mueller's team knows about how the re-payment was made) and at worst a complete fabrication.

Trump could have used the money from his charitable foundation to pay his debt to Cohen...lord knows that Trump paying his legal fees IS the purpose of his charitable foundation.

What does the Mueller team know and why are they keeping it a big secret.
In the first place Mueller was not hired to investigate money paid to whores
He was paid to investigate Russian Collusion, which he has not found.

If Mueller has anything--INDICT.
Mr. Mueller stop sitting on the John and pulling your meat---sh1t or get up off the pot.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Keep trying comrade ...

yeah Dershowitz is a 'right wing hack'

Anyone or Anything that does not conform to YOUR World View is Either Ignorant, Uneducated, Propaganda or Selfish ..... a Russian Bot or a Russian Troll From Minsk

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Are you going to turn your gun on yourself when, after all this nonsense has passed, Trump is never convicted of anything...ever..?

Trump paying his legal fees IS the purpose of his charitable foundation.

How would you compare that to the massive taxpayer-funded "payoff fund" that your colleagues routinely use to pay off sexual harassment claims against them? :coffee: I saw just recently that ole Adam Schitt-fer-brains might have benefited from the availability of that ready payoff cash...something to do with his penchant for young men.

Last edited:

CPUSA

You can actually SMELL the stench of fear coming off of Obama's cronies these days...they know their days of freedom are coming to an end...
And little Antifa cheeerleaders such as yourself won't be able to save them, Brony...It won't be long and Soros is going to order you to go do battle for him...