1 Chronicles 7 Messed up names

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 7:1 The sons of Issachar:

Tola, Puah, Jashub and Shimron—four in all.

2 The sons of Tola:

Uzzi, Rephaiah, Jeriel, Jahmai, Ibsam and Samuel—heads of their families. During the reign of David, the descendants of Tola listed as fighting men in their genealogy numbered 22,600.

3 The son of Uzzi:

Izrahiah.

The sons of Izrahiah:

Michael, Obadiah, Joel and Ishiah. All five of them were chiefs. 4 According to their family genealogy, they had 36,000 men ready for battle, for they had many wives and children.

5 The relatives who were fighting men belonging to all the clans of Issachar, as listed in their genealogy, were 87,000 in all.

Benjamin
6 Three sons of Benjamin:

Bela, Beker and Jediael.

7 The sons of Bela:

Ezbon, Uzzi, Uzziel, Jerimoth and Iri, heads of families—five in all. Their genealogical record listed 22,034 fighting men.

8 The sons of Beker:

Zemirah, Joash, Eliezer, Elioenai, Omri, Jeremoth, Abijah, Anathoth and Alemeth. All these were the sons of Beker. 9 Their genealogical record listed the heads of families and 20,200 fighting men.

10 The son of Jediael:

Bilhan.

The sons of Bilhan:

Jeush, Benjamin, Ehud, Kenaanah, Zethan, Tarshish and Ahishahar. 11 All these sons of Jediael were heads of families. There were 17,200 fighting men ready to go out to war.

12 The Shuppites and Huppites were the descendants of Ir, and the Hu####es[a] the descendants of Aher.

Naphtali
13 The sons of Naphtali:

Jahziel, Guni, Jezer and Shillem(b)—the descendants of Bilhah.​

a. 1 Chronicles 7:12 Or Ir. The sons of Dan: Hushim, (see Gen. 46:23); Hebrew does not have The sons of Dan.
b. 1 Chronicles 7:13 Some Hebrew and Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 46:24 and Num. 26:49); most Hebrew manuscripts Shallum

Bibletrack popped back up in the commentaries!

Meanwhile...back to the genealogies...
It's quite important to understand the purpose of Chronicles. The exiles began leaving Judah in 605 B.C. When the exiles returned to their land after 535 B.C., the author of Chronicles sought to give the returning exiles a perspective on their history and heritage. He therefore summed up and restated the essentials of the historical books that had preceded them. Isn't it interesting that Jews in the first century A.D. could trace their ancestors back four thousand years, while I can only trace mine back 250 years?​

I don't remember names anymore.... I could meet the same person a dozen times and not remember their name. I can remember the face... I know that I've been introduced to them.... I even remember when I met them before.... but the name is bleeped from my brain.... it's quite embarrassing.

Over and over again.... in these lists... I see names that are corrected in the commentary. My name is Rebecca but I'm also called Becky. I ran for commissioner using the nickname "Becky". My mother didn't like that I told friends to call me "Becky". She said she heard her mother called "Beck" and she hated it. My daughter is also named Rebecca.... She's known a "Becki" by those who knew her through her teens... but now she is known as "Becca".

Names.... I think names are alphabetical representations of our dreams for our infants. When I stumble over names..... I substitute....

I have a neighbor whose name is either Mary or Marianne. I was introduced to her months ago.... and I've explained the issue to her at least twice... and she told me her real name at least three times.... now I say "Hey There.... and how is my buddy Nicco [her dog]" I can remember the dog's name just fine.... Nicco.... like Necco.... candy.... wait.... Candy is the name of Lucy's dog.

That's how the names of the cousins get all messed up....

:coffee: