Revelation 18 Superglue!

seekeroftruth

Revelation 18:9 “When the kings of the earth who committed adultery with her and shared her luxury see the smoke of her burning, they will weep and mourn over her. 10 Terrified at her torment, they will stand far off and cry:

“‘Woe! Woe to you, great city,
you mighty city of Babylon!
In one hour your doom has come!’​

There is a lot of commentary about these verses. Some of it is understandable. Some of it... well I wonder if I looked up the right verses. Anyway.... this is from revelationcommentary.org.

"And the kings of the earth, who committed acts of immorality and lived sensuously with her, (2) will weep and lament over her when they see the smoke of her burning, (3) standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment, saying, (4) ‘Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city! (5) For in one hour your judgment has come.’

1. And the kings of the earth, who committed acts of immorality and lived sensuously with her = introduces the response of the kings to the woman’s demise. Interestingly, the kings of the earth move from favor, to hate, to weeping and lament concerning the harlot/city. At first glance, there seems to be a contradiction.​

However, Zechariah 12:3 states, "It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured." At first, Jerusalem was a trophy for the composite dragon-beast, but she soon became a burdensome stone. The favor of the Beast Empire turns to hate. Ultimately, the kings of the Beast Empire will mourn her destruction. The reason the kings weep and lament is "because of the fear of her torment." What happened to her will soon happen to them.

2. Will weep and lament over her when they see the smoke of her burning = describes the reaction of the kings of the earth to the harlot/city’s demise. They weep and lament.

3. Standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment = states the attitude of the kings. God’s punishment of the harlot/city will soon come to the kings.

4. Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city = continues the statement of the kings’ attitude toward the harlot/city. The great city refers explicitly to Jerusalem in Revelation 11:8, and implicitly in Revelation 16:19. An important question at this point is this: why is Jerusalem called Babylon? We were told in Revelation 17:5 that the name "Babylon" is part of the mystery of the harlot. Thus, it should be clear that "Babylon" is not literal. Most scholars agree that "Babylon" is a code word in the Revelation. However, what it is a code for does not enjoy a majority consensus. There is historical evidence that "Babylon" is a code name for Rome. All sources that support this conclusion lay outside the biblical record.​

There is one example of the "Babylon" as a code name in the New Testament. I Peter 5:13 states, "She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you greetings, and so does my son, Mark." "Babylon" either refers to Rome, Jerusalem or the ancient city that bears that name. Most scholars see Rome as the referent.

5. For in one hour your judgment has come = caps the kings amazement. In one hour appears four times in the Revelation (17:10 and 18:10, 17, 19). In each location, one could easily insert the phrase "a short time." This seems to be the basic meaning intended. The power of this statement is seen in light of the boast of the harlot/city that she would endure forever.​

All this talk about Babylon is Rome.... Babylon is Jerusalem.... or In an hour... In a short time....

I don't believe the location of the center of politics and religion matters much anymore.... Think about it..... The story has gone from a meeting between John and Jesus about the horrific state of the churches... through earthquake, meteor showers, a meteor hit, poisonous water, foul air, lack of sun, lack of food, crazy critters, and horrific sun stroke. Any humans left are in really sad shape.

This is from amazingdiscoveries.org.

The merchants watch the world crash down around them and their riches go up in smoke. They “weep and mourn” and destruction of the financial system which has provided them with riches and luxury at the expense of the less fortunate. The silver and gold, the grand houses and treasure—the gain of a lifetime has all become worthless. A righteous and upright character is the true treasure obtained in this life. The merchants have scorned as worthless the gold of a righteous character, and they have esteemed as priceless the material treasures of this world. Now they are left with nothing.

The multitudes see that they have been deluded by the religious leaders and rulers and taken advantage of by those in control of business. The glory, the glitter, and the promise of ease and luxury have faded to bitter disappointment. The splendor of this glorious new world under the combined power of church and state is seen to mask an inner evil and decay. When the people realize that the leaders they trusted have deceived them, and that they are now eternally lost, they “shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate…and burn her with fire.” Revelation 17:16.

“With violence” Babylon is “thrown down;” its destruction is complete. The sights and sounds of life are gone. She has been punished for her deceptions, for the souls she has lured to destruction, and for all the pain, misery, and suffering she has inflicted on the “prophets” and the “saints.”​

I hear there is a new currency... bit coin. It's not a coin you can hold in your hand. I guess you could print something on a piece of paper that says you "own" it.... but it's value fluctuates wildly and it's computer driven.

I know for a fact that most vendors doing business with the Federal Government don't receive checks anymore. Payments are sent to the bank automatically.... small purchases are done on credit cards.... and it's computer driven.

I hear Amazon is doing a fabulous business these days. I can jump online and order almost anything and it will arrive in a day or two. It's very reliable and it's computer driven.

Soon there will be driverless cars on the roads.... I saw the prototype of just this sort of vehicle in a Mad Max movie years ago. It's going to be very reliable and it's computer driven.

So just how much data entry do you think will be going on after all the calamity described in the first seventeen chapters of Revelation?

My Papa use to say.... one of these days all the superglue in the world is going to let loose.... and all heck is going to get loose.

:coffee: