1 Chronicles 7 Gutsy Women!

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 7:Naphtali
13 The sons of Naphtali:

Jahziel, Guni, Jezer and Shillem(b)—the descendants of Bilhah.

Manasseh
14 The descendants of Manasseh:

Asriel was his descendant through his Aramean concubine. She gave birth to Makir the father of Gilead. 15 Makir took a wife from among the Huppites and Shuppites. His sister’s name was Maakah.

Another descendant was named Zelophehad, who had only daughters.

16 Makir’s wife Maakah gave birth to a son and named him Peresh. His brother was named Sheresh, and his sons were Ulam and Rakem.

17 The son of Ulam:

Bedan.

These were the sons of Gilead son of Makir, the son of Manasseh. 18 His sister Hammoleketh gave birth to Ishhod, Abiezer and Mahlah.

19 The sons of Shemida were:

Ahian, Shechem, Likhi and Aniam.​

b. 1 Chronicles 7:13 Some Hebrew and Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 46:24 and Num. 26:49); most Hebrew manuscripts Shallum

I found no commentary for the Huppites and Shuppites. I looked and looked.... Some commentaries skip these verses altogether....so I don't think they will come back to bite me.

Isn't it interesting.... the father of Gilead is the son of an Aramean concubine. They used the name "Gilead" for the location of the Handmaid's Tale.

This is from the easy English site.

The text is not clear. Makir was the first son of Manasseh. Makir was the father of Gilead. The slave woman was the mother of Asriel. But Asriel was a son of Gilead (Numbers 26:30). So it seems that there were two men with the name of Asriel. One of them was a son of Manasseh. The other one was a son of Gilead.

Zelophehad was the son of Hepher. Hepher was a son of Gilead. Zelophehad had 5 daughters and no sons. Their father died. So, the daughters asked that they could have his property. Because of this, Moses asked the LORD about it. The LORD told Moses to change the law. Where there are no sons the property can pass to the daughters (Numbers 27:1-11).​

Oh I remember that story.... Back when they were handing out the land to the kin of Jacob [Israel] upon arrival in Canaan [the promised land]... there were two daughters who got the wrong end of the stick. Their father was dead.... there were no brothers.... there were no husbands.... so the land didn't have a male heir to go to.... the two sisters could see it slipping right out of their hands..... and then they went to see Moses directly.

As I was writing that... I realized just how difficult it must have been for two women to get an audience with Moses. Women had no say. Women had no land. Women had no vote. Women were for childbirth, child rearing, and work. They couldn't just walk up to Moses..... he always had a bunch of men hanging around. That would have been a very gutsy move on their part.

Anyway Moses took it to God and the law got changed.... the sisters got their land.

Interesting.... this all had to do with Gilead....

:coffee: