Afterschool activities at Great Mills canceled

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
After-school activities at Great Mills High School are cancelled on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018.

From the Sheriff's Dept:

At approximately 2:59 P.M. an anonymous call was received in the main office at Great Mills High School (GMHS). The caller informed office staff that he was on his way to carry out an act of violence. GMHS administration notified the School Resource Officer, and the Public Schools Department of Safety & Security.

The school initiated a “lockout”. School dismissal had occurred and all buses had left school grounds just prior to the threat being made. After school activities were underway, those students were returned to the interior of the school for their safety. Additional police units were dispatched as a precaution to secure the parking lot while all remaining students and staff left school grounds. All after school activities were cancelled at Great Mills High School as a precaution.

An investigation into the call has been initiated by the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office and the threat will be fully investigated.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
This is reminding me of the bomb scares back in the 70's, also the pulled fire alarms, without their being a fire.

BernieP

Resident PIA
This is reminding me of the bomb scares back in the 70's, also the pulled fire alarms, without their being a fire.

Big difference, then if you evacutated the school you didn't put people at risk. Now they can't move people outside (locked down)
With the fire alarm, it could pretty much be determined, quickly, that it was false.
Bomb threats cost a little more to check out, but it was a finite search.
Threat of "violence", you don't know exactly who, what, when or where. Investigation can take a lot longer to declare it a fake.

IMHO, the perpetrator(s) of the fakes should be prosecuted. There should be a financial penalty as well, if they are a minor that penalty should be applied to the parent.

It would not surprise me if the idiots didn't call it in with a cellphone. Hopefully the party they called has the abilitty to run the trace to locate the phone (E9111)
Most likelt would find the pinged phone in the school.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^I agree with you...threats of a shooter does make the situation much more discordant.