Revelation 18 Silence

seekeroftruth

Revelation 18:21 Then a mighty angel picked up a boulder the size of a large millstone and threw it into the sea, and said:

“With such violence
the great city of Babylon will be thrown down,
never to be found again.
22 The music of harpists and musicians, pipers and trumpeters,
will never be heard in you again.
No worker of any trade
will ever be found in you again.
The sound of a millstone
23 The light of a lamp
will never shine in you again.
The voice of bridegroom and bride
Your merchants were the world’s important people.
By your magic spell all the nations were led astray.
24 In her was found the blood of prophets and of God’s holy people,
of all who have been slaughtered on the earth.”​

Here comes another meteor.... a millstone is not something little you can put around your neck... no that's just a saying. A mill stone is huge.... The picture I've posted has two men turning it.....sometimes a horse, oxen, or mule would be required to turn it.

millstone.jpg

Amazingdiscoveries.org has this to offer this morning.

“With violence” Babylon is “thrown down;” its destruction is complete. The sights and sounds of life are gone. She has been punished for her deceptions, for the souls she has lured to destruction, and for all the pain, misery, and suffering she has inflicted on the “prophets” and the “saints.”​

I got this from Bible.org.

(1) No more music and entertainers. The commercial and business world often seeks escape in the jive and jazz, the rock and roll of its music world in the various places of night entertainment. Consider the hotels, motels, bars, lounges, and other establishments in every city where music is provided for the commercial world and its participants.

(2) No more craftsmen. The tools of the craftsmen who furnished the items of luxury will suddenly be as silent as a tomb. This means that the wheels of industry and the pens which write the orders for merchandise will come to a halt.

(3) No more grinding of grain. The millstones which grind the grain for flour will also stop. The food supply, which at that point is already in short supply, will now disappear altogether.

(4) The lights will go out. The lamp which lights the home and business will be put permanently out. Darkness, symbolizing the spiritual state of the world and the system of the beast, will now engulf everything. How awesome this experience will be—total blackness.

(5) The merry voices of bride and bridegroom and their wedding parties will cease. From this reference it appears that Babylon will become a virtual Riviera or Niagara Falls, famous for weddings and honeymooners, gambling, and gay times. But it will also be much like Reno, Nevada. Marriage will mean little more than a license for prostitution, a temporary contract. As Christ prophesied, men and women will be marrying and remarrying without any real concern for marriage as a divine institution of God. When marriage is entered into it will be a mere convenience if they bother to marry at all (Matt. 24:38). Life during the Tribulation will go on as usual in spite of its judgments, which shows just how callused man will become and how much he will be enslaved in the luxuries and pleasures of the world. But then, suddenly it is all over (2 Pet. 3:3-11).​

It's been a long time since I heard absolute silence. I still fondly remember the first real silence I experienced. I was out in Washington State.... I was in my late 20's and chemo hadn't had a chance to deposit this awful buzz I hear constantly. I took a logging road out into the forest. When I stopped on one of the tall hillside spots.... I could see nothing but trees for miles and miles.... and it was silent. Beautiful.

Then there was another silence I remember.... not so beautiful, but it too brought peace.... A tornado went through Lothian and Wayson's Corner about twenty years ago. Some may remember the roof was ruined on one of the tobacco barns that day. I was living in a stick built "mobile home" on blocks in Lothian at the time. My youngest daughter was only a toddler. When a tiny twister dropped down in the empty lot next to us.... my daughter was sitting on my lap in a chair in the living room. It was the closest place to sit when the serious storm started. I held my daughter close to my chest as I watched the wind turn dirty and then become just dirt and sticks moving fast horizontally.... the house was shaking.... my daughter asked "what's going on?" I told her God was just cleaning up the lot next door.... she said she wanted Him to "finish up and move on. This is scary." I was waiting for the house to just lift off those blocks and take off, like in the Wizard of Oz. When the tornado lifted away.... it was suddenly silent. Peaceful.

When the financial and commercial center called Babylon in these verses falls, there won't be any humans there to notice the silence.

I have to say.... this boulder... it might be described as a millstone by John.... but it sounds like a nuclear weapon to me.

:coffee: