1 of the benefits of travel

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Food.

Right now I'm eating some Tillamook vanilla ice cream. It comes out of the pacific north west. Probably not available on the east coast. Funny story. When I spent a summer in Ketchikan, Alaska, they sold Tillamook Marion Berry ice cream. I thought the name was a goof on the name of a prior DC mayor. I didn't realize that a marion berry is an actual fruit. Anyway Tillamook makes awesome yogurt, ice cream, cheese and other dairy products. My ice cream is amazing. Rich, creamy, tasty and all the other adjectives we apply to tasty ice cream.

When I spent a summer in Wyoming, they had an amazing local sourdough bread. I couldn't get enough of it.

Here in Texas they have Buc-ees, which is the convenience store that you will find in paradise when you leave this earth. Kolaches, fudge, BBQ sandwiches, fountain drinks, snacks, etc. Speaking of Texas, it seems all the gas stations have a taco bar inside of them. Nothing better than a breakfast taco. Need a tasty lunch, just go to the hot bar at the gas station. Barbacoa, carnitas, fajitas, asada, guisada, your choice.

Still in Texas they have heavenly BBQ. Beef ribs, brisket, pork ribs, turkey legs, chicken and sausage. I'm a rib and brisket snob, so that's what you'll find on my plate.

Pizza. Coming from NJ, it's hard to find a better slice. But between Blaze, Mod and a few of the independents, I've had some fine tomato pies across the country. I'm talking about you Annas in Williamsburg & Isabella's in Baltimore.

Seafood. Best is probably NC. Followed by Florida. Even the cringe worthy sounding lobster reuben is worth your appetite.

Cajun. If you can't understand the person taking your order, even though they seem to be speaking English, you are probably in the right place.

Mexican. Tex-Mex or whatever they want to call it. The US SW has you covered. Even the transplanted Texans in Florida make some cheek tightening chow that is worth every calorie. Bonus is the Latin markets in the south. They make some daily desserts that aren't the sickening sweet treats that we are use to. They are heavy on the fruit and light on the added sugar. If they have the homemade chicharrones, don't pass up the chance. The homemade variety doesn't have the calories like the prepackaged pork rinds.

Grocery stores. H-E-B, Publix, Hy-Vee, Krogers, plus a few more that I can't remember. Many stores have things they do well compared to other comparable stores.

Ok, now who's hungry?

jg21

Some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten was in a restaurant in a lobby of a nothing hotel in Farmington, NM.

Some of the worst Mexican food I've ever eaten was in a restaurant in Truro, Nova Scotia. Lesson learned; I'm an idiot.