Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greetings from South Padre Island!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Funny..I visited SPI when I was 14(not saying what year) and all I saw was miles and miles of sand. The only things that I remember is how desolate it was and the 300 yards of hot sand to cross to get to the water.
    That's what I remember also, miles of sand. I was there in 72? to see my older sister that married a midshipman that ended up as a P3 jockey stationed at Corpus after flight school.
    I fished everyday for the few weeks I was there....
    No one cares.

Blog Entries
    Yesterday we did a sunset dinner cruise aboard the Osprey. This was Monello's Christmas present from me (we had a happy hour pirate cruise in Port A, too, but it got cancelled because they didn't have enough people).

The boat was really nice, with a great entertainment director making sure everyone was happy. They served three types of shishkebab - beef, chicken, and shrimp - with raw veggies and a big fruit platter, and there was a cash bar. Cruised around the...I have to find out what that body of water is called, I think it's Laguna Madre...for an hour and a half. Dolphins were following us so we got to watch them frolic around. It was a really nice evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6454.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	126524

There are a surprising number of Nebraskans down here - at the campground and in general. That's why we all wear our GBR gear - so we can spot each other.

Name:	GBRnails.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	126523

Here is the SPI skyline from the boat:

Name:	DSCN6450.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	126525

As you can see, there are large hotels and entertainment venues. The Gulf is on the backside of them. The weather here is lovely. Cool, justthisclose to chilly at night, and sunny/70s during the day. We're heading to the farmer's market here in a few, then we'll come back and take a swim.

South TX doesn't get the love that Florida gets, but it should. It's every bit as beautiful, at half the price. We paid an embarrassing $2300/mo for our unimpressive campsite in the Keys. Here we got this on point super cool KOA for $900/mo.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post

There are a surprising number of Nebraskans down here - at the campground and in general. That's why we all wear our GBR gear - so we can spot each other.

Name:	GBRnails.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	126523

South TX doesn't get the love that Florida gets, but it should. It's every bit as beautiful, at half the price. We paid an embarrassing $2300/mo for our unimpressive campsite in the Keys. Here we got this on point super cool KOA for $900/mo.
    We'd have to fly out there and rent a vehicle, most likely. But that would even been very affordable when the cabin rental prices are as crazy low-priced as they are there!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    That makes him a hoot and 3/4!

Blog Entries
    So far we've had 2 pool/hot tub days.

Attachment 126585

Yesterday we drove to the end of the road on the highway. The last 5-6 miles is a whole lot of sand and dunes. Where the road ends there's a business that has a zip line and rental horses to ride on the beach. Not sure why they are at the end of the road. There are a few state parks that allow access to the surf.

Winter Texans are a thing here. Most folks are from the midwest. Not too many people from the east coast. Businesses cater to them. It's a smart move. They come with a lot of disposable income. The locals seem to be a bit more price sensitive. Here's an example. In Corpus Christi to wash and wax an RV, they charge $10 per foot. So to get my RV detailed would be $340. Today I had the local guy do it for $145. This guy is here every day working his ass off. He said he can't get enough helpers. He has 4 vans and God knows how many employees. His crew doesn't habla. Just on the island there are probably 900 RV sites. The state park on the south end of the island has over 600 spots.

Speaking about state parks. Isla Blanca state park has a bunch of facilities. A boat launch, convention center, bait & tackle shop, several large parking lots, and basic bath houses. There is something about camping right on the beach.

Food & drink are quite reasonably priced here. There are deals to be found. I got a plate of grilled shrimp, grilled mahi mahi & fresh sauteed veggies for $9. We have 2 grocery stores within a 5 mile drive. There are many hispanic foods for sale that you don't find in other stores. JUst dried chilies alone there are a ton of varieties. I bought a few hot chocolate packets but they were nasty. I'd rather drink moxie.

We get a lot of great sunrises & sunsets here.

Name:	DSCF9797.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	126587

Name:	DSCN6447.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	126588

We did a dinner cruise. Space X has a launch pad near Brownsville. From the lagoon you can see the rocket on the launch pad. A few dolphins showed up to entertain us.

Name:	DSCN6432.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	126589

Name:	DSCN6450.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	126590
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Y’all are livin’ the life. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through y’all, and Apollo. We, children, grandchildren, two dogs, and a cat appreciate the view of America that you give us. They all seem to be at my house all at the same time; all the time. Safe travels, and happy retirement.

And, y’all are in my own stoppin’ grounds. After I grad from LSU, I moved to Mobile AL, Marietta GA, and then to Houston TX; being originally from NOLA. Sadly, I was dragged kicking and screaming to Maryland. I divorced the guy that did that to me. I really didn’t divorce him for that; it was other stuff. But, I do know everything happens for a reason.
    Last edited by littlelady; 01-10-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    We just endured 2 1/2 days of wet & cold. It's overcast today but at least it's not raining. This is our 2nd cold & raily spell while we are here. Funny thing is people hunker down then as soon as the rain stops & the sun comes out, everyone comes outside. Today we got a few tips of where to go and what to do from some other campers. That's the nice part about socializing. People have already scoped things out. There are a bunch of places here to eat and drink. No way could you check them all out.

As this is our 3rd winter, I'm in the habit of comparing everything to Florida. I have to say that you get a lot more bang for your buck down here. Last week I went on a 4 hour bay fishing trip. There were 15 people on the trip plus a crew of 3. It was slow and I didn't catch a thing. On the entire boat only about 15 fish were caught. The captain even fished and he got 3 of them. The good news was that it only set me back $20 with my campground discount coupon. Whiting and catfish made up the catch. Some people kept some very small whiting that didn't seem big enough to go through the trouble cleaning. I may give it another try before we leave.

Across the lagoon there is a launch pad for Space X. There is a rocket on the launch pad. It's visible from the boat. Once they launch, this campground will be a great place to watch the fireworks. We found a little community across the bridge in the town of Port Isabel. Long Island Village is 1,100 lots in a canal neighborhood. Many of the residents are winter Texans, since this is what they refer to their snowbirds. Many people are from the midwest states. LIV has an 18 hole par 3 golf course, cafe, banquet hall, 2 swimming pools, rec center, boat launch and a bunch of activities to keep people busy. Most of the lots have park model homes on them. A few lots have motor homes. I think we have to consider this location for when we no longer want to travel full time. On our dinner cruise we went right by the island. The island is attched to the mainland by a swing bridge. The entire section of road pivots to let the boat pass.

These 2 pictures are from the backside of the island.

Name:	DSCN6432.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	126672

Name:	DSCN6438.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	126673

I don't know if I posted this already but there is a homeland security blimp here that keeps watch over the southern border. It has a viewing range of 200 miles. There is a Coast Guard base here and I think they have ownership of the blimp. Most days it's in the sky tethered. They occasionally bring it down.

Name:	DSCN6405.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	126674

Hopefully the weather behaves itself so we can continue to run around and explore this place.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Members who have read this thread: 43