Cute little signs

acommondisaster

I'm in a couple of groups in Facebook for homemaking and decor. People post pictures of their rooms, discuss paint colors, little fixes, seasonal decor, etc. Fun groups, nice people, no drama.

Anyway.....anyone here old enough to remember when the internet was young and everyone's website was full of flashing words and different fonts and colors and mouse trails? Well, that's how I feel when I see some of the photos people post of their rooms - a console table with 5 signs above it "Gather" is really popular as well as "Family" and "Blessed" in different fonts and sizes. "Farmhouse" cracks me up when clearly there's nothing farmhouse about the place. Bible quotes - Dr Seuss quotes...signs that tell me I'm in the kitchen. Signs in bathrooms that say "Calm" (really? I'm pooping! Leave me alone!) I seemed to have missed the sign train. What's the point? How long has this been a thing? When will it stop? How will I know what to do when there's no sign on the wall?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm in a couple of groups in Facebook for homemaking and decor. People post pictures of their rooms, discuss paint colors, little fixes, seasonal decor, etc. Fun groups, nice people, no drama.

Anyway.....anyone here old enough to remember when the internet was young and everyone's website was full of flashing words and different fonts and colors and mouse trails? Well, that's how I feel when I see some of the photos people post of their rooms - a console table with 5 signs above it "Gather" is really popular as well as "Family" and "Blessed" in different fonts and sizes. "Farmhouse" cracks me up when clearly there's nothing farmhouse about the place. Bible quotes - Dr Seuss quotes...signs that tell me I'm in the kitchen. Signs in bathrooms that say "Calm" (really? I'm pooping! Leave me alone!) I seemed to have missed the sign train. What's the point? How long has this been a thing? When will it stop? How will I know what to do when there's no sign on the wall?

:lmao: I never thought about it, but you're right - there are a lot of signs in home decor now.

I don't have any signs that I've bought personally. I have a ceramic plaque/sign that the Things gave me for Mother's day one year that says: "There is only one Queen living in this house, we call her MOM". And a little wooden one that Vrai gave me that says "When the Queen is happy, there is peace in the kingdom" that sets on my china hutch.

Both happen to be in my dining room area, which is eclectic and informal. I display some family photos on my china hutch (with no china - just old family glassware, or other items I have kept through the years) along with a curio cabinet on one wall and hanging shelf on another wall with trinkets people have given me through the years. That way, it all matches and goes together! :biggrin:

queenmom.jpg kingdom.jpg shelf.jpg hutch.jpg curio.jpg

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I don't know when it started, but sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I have a "cluster" of these on my bedroom wall, sayings that mean something to me and the ol' man.

I wish I'd met you sooner, so I could love you longer
Always kiss me goodnight
You had me at hello
I can't adult today

and a few more.

I have them clustered with our Initials (X&X), and small round decorator mirrors that I've collected.

It has gotten a little out of balance. I need to redo the collection.

frequentflier

happy to be living
:lmao: I never thought about it, but you're right - there are a lot of signs in home decor now.

I don't have any signs that I've bought personally. I have a ceramic plaque/sign that the Things gave me for Mother's day one year that says: "There is only one Queen living in this house, we call her MOM". And a little wooden one that Vrai gave me that says "When the Queen is happy, there is peace in the kingdom" that sets on my china hutch.

Both happen to be in my dining room area, which is eclectic and informal. I display some family photos on my china hutch (with no china - just old family glassware, or other items I have kept through the years) along with a curio cabinet on one wall and hanging shelf on another wall with trinkets people have given me through the years. That way, it all matches and goes together! :biggrin:

View attachment 126477 View attachment 126478 View attachment 126479 View attachment 126480 View attachment 126481

:huggy:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
gordmans-fancy-farmhouse-768x1024.jpg

this kind of stuff. ugh.

I follow some of those kind of groups too. I really have to scroll and weed out the overabundance of farmhouse-chic directional cheap sign crap decor. A few here or there are certainly cute, but just walk through Hobby Lobby (and this is probably where most of this problem has started). It's entirely overloaded with these signs. They're almost all cheesy, almost all cheaply made and cheap looking, and almost all just so juvenile. And because these signs are so readily available, people think they need them for every room. And they really don't understand the concept of a Gallery Wall. These groups are usually drama free, but I regularly bite my tongue and force myself to keep scrolling when all I wanna do is type out how 6 different "signs" and a couple metal flowers and a few arrows does not equate a gallery wall when there is no actual art or family pictures :strangle:

I want serious conversations about paint colors, decor techniques, DIY ideas, etc. It's becoming all the same with another teal-colored accent wall.

and yes, my biggest peave of them all is when they have a Farmhouse sign, yet they live in a suburban cookie-cutter neighborhood with no sign of even a barn cat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I used to have motivational signs all over my house and apartment. "Believe" "Just for today..." "It's never too late to have a happy childhood" "Dream Big" Wood block letters, vinyl lettering on my walls, little plaques. It felt like filling my home with good vibes and positive messages. That way when I was blue or frustrated or annoyed, I could look up and get a boost.

It wasn't crazy or overwhelming, just little messages here and there in pretty much every room.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
another teal-colored accent wall.

:mad: Well, mine is not quite teal but it was better than the red and black monstrosity that was there! :lol:

I have a few signs but they are small to medium size. Some I bought or made and others were given to me, but all have a special meaning to me.