Tipping flight attendants?

TCROW

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-with-happy-hours-and-tips/

While many domestic US airlines are raising drink prices, there’s an airline flying in the US that’ll actually give you a discount for ordering more alcohol. But, you’re going to be asked for a tip at checkout.

That airline: Frontier.

This “revelation” surely isn’t new to many of the 17 million passengers the airline welcomed onboard so far this year, but it was new to me during my first experience on the airline earlier this week.

Feeling parched and kicking myself for not refilling my water bottle before the flight, I ordered a can of ginger ale when the flight attendants passed through selling snacks and drinks. After swiping my card, I was surprised to be handed the flight attendant’s tablet. There on the screen, I was prompted:

I am a minimum 20% tipper in restaurants since those jobs typically pay minimum wage and tips are a non-trivial part of their income. But on a plane? I've never experienced this, but this is American tipping culture gone awry. These are career positions, and I sure hope that Frontier isn't offloading some of their responsibility to pay these people a reasonable wage on to the flying public.

I will never, ever tip a flight attendant. This is sheer insanity.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-with-happy-hours-and-tips/

I am a minimum 20% tipper in restaurants since those jobs typically pay minimum wage and tips are a non-trivial part of their income. But on a plane? I've never experienced this, but this is American tipping culture gone awry. These are career positions, and I sure hope that Frontier isn't offloading some of their responsibility to pay these people a reasonable wage on to the flying public.

I will never, ever tip a flight attendant. This is sheer insanity.
That is exactly what is happening. Rather than airlines give raises, they are putting the responsibility on the airline employees to pimp the drinks in order to get extra pay. Most all industries get away with it. I could spend the rest of the day typing all the "service" jobs that pay their employees the minimum because customers are expected to make up the difference. We do it without blinking anymore. Tipping used to be considered "extra" because the consumer wants to... now it's assumed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Consumers are going to make up the difference either way. You either pay more for the service/product, or you pay less and tip your server.

I am against encouraging drunken airline travel. It's sucks enough as it is without adding a bunch of drunks in the mix.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Call me a meamie, but I won't tip for a service that is already in place. Especially for a bottle of water.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Call me a meamie, but I won't tip for a service that is already in place. Especially for a bottle of water.

I'll be a meamie with you. and I've worked all those jobs, both gratuity-run and non. Dad flies for a private company, aka fat-rich people who can throw away hundreds for a couple bottles of water. If you want to be a flight attendant AND make tips, go work for those airlines.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'll be a meamie with you. and I've worked all those jobs, both gratuity-run and non. Dad flies for a private company, aka fat-rich people who can throw away hundreds for a couple bottles of water. If you want to be a flight attendant AND make tips, go work for those airlines.

Come sit next to me then! The way I look at it is that they are already going down the aisles serving EVERYONE that wants to be served. NOT making extra trips back and forth with a freshly made Long Island Iced Tea!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you want to be a flight attendant

I would never want to be a flight attendant. The first celebritard or self-important anyone who gave me crap would be tased and thrown out. Or at least have their drink roofied. Go ahead, mama, try and bring your comfort alpaca on my flight.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I would never want to be a flight attendant. The first celebritard or self-important anyone who gave me crap would be tased and thrown out. Or at least have their drink roofied. Go ahead, mama, try and bring your comfort alpaca on my flight.

I wouldn't last a day in their shoes either. I'm not even sure how I managed to bartend and work retail the way I did all those years. I did get my hand slapped a few times for being a little too fresh with the customers :whistle: they always deserved it though.

nutz

I am a minimum 20% tipper in restaurants since those jobs typically pay minimum wage and tips are a non-trivial part of their income.
If you consider it to be non-trivial, why do it at all? Do you tip at least 20% at fast food places? Do you willingly pay an extra 20% at all retail places that pay their employees minimum wage?

TCROW

If you consider it to be non-trivial, why do it at all? Do you tip at least 20% at fast food places? Do you willingly pay an extra 20% at all retail places that pay their employees minimum wage?

Meant to say that the minimum wage pay is the trivial part. But no, I don’t tip in fast food places, because they generally aren’t places that provide service. They are fast food outlets.