Thread: Mega Millions

Mega Millions

The $1.5B jackpot still unclaimed.

State states there's a winning ticket. It goes unclaimed, jackpot returned to the states' general funds.
    Society of Man

Probably not claimed yet because the winner is setting up an LLC in Delaware or something to claim the ticket. Keep identity private, allow access to funds without gift taxes, and avoid "income" tax.

I also read somewhere that by the person waiting until after the new year to claim the ticket, they will not owe taxes on the money until April 2020 rather than April 2019. By holding out, this person can earn millions of dollars just investing that money or collecting interest for 18 months before having to pay it out to taxes in April 2020.
    Last edited by Booboo3604; 01-03-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booboo3604 View Post
    I also read somewhere that by the person waiting until after the new year to claim the ticket,

I would have moved to a State without income tax, and or a state that does NOT tax lottery winnings
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I would have moved to a State without income tax, and or a state that does NOT tax lottery winnings
    I believe the state in which the ticket is sold can tax the winnings as well as your home state, sort of like a state where a football player plays an away game can tax his earnings for that game.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Booboo3604 View Post
    I also read somewhere that by the person waiting until after the new year to claim the ticket, they will not owe taxes on the money until April 2020 rather than April 2019. By holding out, this person can earn millions of dollars just investing that money or collecting interest for 18 months before having to pay it out to taxes in April 2020.
    Fed and state taxes are withheld at payout over a certain amount.

Source: I have won a lottery. Not a lot, not even 5 figures, but above the threshold for automatic withholding.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    I believe the state in which the ticket is sold can tax the winnings as well as your home state, sort of like a state where a football player plays an away game can tax his earnings for that game.
    Gubmint's gonna get theirs, you can count on that.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Members who have read this thread: 52