Fine Dining in Waldorf

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Waldorf = hood

Remember when the 'dorf used to be a pretty nice community? Now it's DC Jr.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't ever recall it being nice.

Back in the 80s when I first moved to SoMD it was a destination for shopping and good restaurants. Now you can't even go to the mall without taking your life in your hands.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I don't ever recall it being nice.

Back in the 60's and 70's it was nice.

Back in the 80s when I first moved to SoMD it was a destination for shopping and good restaurants. Now you can't even go to the mall without taking your life in your hands.

Yes, it was nice back then. Nice shopping and good restaurants without all the traffic and madness. The mall and development of St. Charles changed all that.

Hannibal

I grew up there (elementary - high school, etc.) As a kid, it wasn't bad at all. We had a nice place in a nice neighborhood with good neighbors (Pinefield). Moved out around 91 (in high school) to a place a little further south (listed as Waldorf but not really). Anyhow, it was a decent place for the most part and I wouldn't think I'd say it started going downhill until the late 80's. Schools were decent, safe, etc. The mall really changed things for the worse as did all the pop up communities surrounding it. I vividly remember Mattawoman-Beantown Road being 1 lane in each direction. I remember the area at the far north end of Waldorf before it was all developed. It was a good place. The mall became an issue in the mid/late 90's where people would drop their hoodrat kids off and use it as a pseudo-babysitter.

The only place we frequent in Waldorf now-a-days (food wise) is a little restaurant on 925 (parallel to 301) called Silver Skewers. That place is fantastic. The owner is such a nice, hardworking lady. Each time I'm in there, I tell her she'd stand to do far better if she moved away. Prince Frederick, Huntington, Edgewater, etc. The clientele is there to support her. Not so much in Waldorf.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Back in the 70s, I was buying processing and hauling firewood out of several areas just north of Waldorf, selling it for large profit to various retail locations the DC area. Waldorf was a tiny place back then..and Rt 5 was a much smaller and very lightly traveled road. The only reason we went there was the hardware store...always needed something to fix a chainsaw or two..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The only place we frequent in Waldorf now-a-days (food wise) is a little restaurant on 925 (parallel to 301) called Silver Skewers. That place is fantastic. The owner is such a nice, hardworking lady. Each time I'm in there, I tell her she'd stand to do far better if she moved away. Prince Frederick, Huntington, Edgewater, etc. The clientele is there to support her. Not so much in Waldorf.

I tried that place once years ago and was not impressed. I'm surprised they are still in business. I don't think I have ever heard it advertised and the location isn't so great.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Why do we always seem to hit the mother lode? :lol:

Just lucky (?) I guess. Funny thing, right before Christmas I went out with the girls and we stopped at Chili's in Waldorf for lunch, and they were soooo slow we were comped for it. But at least we eventually got food that was edible. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I tried that place once years ago and was not impressed. I'm surprised they are still in business. I don't think I have ever heard it advertised and the location isn't so great.

:howdy: Yes, we did go there and it was not stellar. Another one for the 'never to return to' list.

Hannibal

Different strokes I guess for taste in food but I've always thought it was good. The meats are excellent. The spiced tea is great. A touch on the pricey side for what it is but still a nice treat. The lack of advertising and the location are their biggest issues. This is what I preach to the owner. The menu/service would thrive in a more suitable and visible location. No doubt in my mind. She's killing her business by being where she is.