Proverbs 2 Right, Just and Fair

seekeroftruth

Proverbs 2:9 Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair
—every good path.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
11 Discretion will protect you,
and understanding will guard you.

12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men,
from men whose words are perverse,
13 who have left the straight paths
to walk in dark ways,
14 who delight in doing wrong
and rejoice in the perverseness of evil,
15 whose paths are crooked
and who are devious in their ways.​

Commentaries are preachy sometimes. The easy English commentary is the least preachy of the normal sites.

The Bible often compares life to a journey. Abraham’s whole life was a journey. He travelled from Ur to Haran, and then to Canaan. ‘He searched for the city that God built.’ (Hebrews 11:10) He did not find this place on earth. ‘These people wanted a better place, in heaven. God is not ashamed to be called their God. He has prepared a city for them.’ (Hebrews 11:16)

Jesus compared life to a journey. ‘Enter by the narrow gate! Do not choose the wide gate or the easy road! Many people go that way. The easy road leads to death. Look for the small gate and the narrow road. Only a few people find it, but it leads to life.’ (Matthew 7:13-14)

The Book of Proverbs also tells us about two ways. In verse 13, evil men walk in dark paths. They hide from the light, because light would show up their evil behaviour. In verse 15, Solomon says that evil men choose the wrong paths. It is easy to choose the wrong path in the dark! This wrong path is like their evil behaviour. Their behaviour is like a road that leads to death and hell (verse 18).

If we follow God’s wisdom, then our paths are good (verse 9). We are like travellers who choose the right way. We know where we are going. We act fairly. Our decisions are good. This is the right road for life’s journey. It leads to heaven (verse 19).​

There are a lot of people in church this morning who are not saved. They know they are not saved.... but all the people in the church have known them for years and "what would they think" if after all this time they made that public declaration of faith. The declaration of faith, IMHO, is a symbol, like Baptism. The problem is.... the guilt... that guilt will pull a little cloud in that shadows the path. Then.... without that public declaration... it's easier to walk away from the path.

I know that being a Christian can, at times, put a great big target on a person. We hear phrases like "holier than thou" and "special" and "hypocrite". Old gray haired women are "expected" to be Christian. After all, when we were growing up... everyone went to church, chapel, or mass. We didn't hear much about people going to synagogue [until we moved to Baltimore] or mosques. Old women like me are "expected" to be good.

Now let me gossip about a couple of the old ladies who reside in my community.... you may think you recognize them... but believe me... they are not your neighbor down the street.

My first new friend is older than I am. She was given up at birth.... so that's a rocky start already. She was "popular" in her youth. She "was living up to her heritage". Her mom was not a Sunday School teacher by any stretch of the imagination.... and neither was my friend. I don't know the circumstances of her Salvation... the topic of her sole has not come up.... yet....

Another woman down the street is the sweetest girl to your face. She claims to be a Christian. She volunteers in the community and she's so jovial.... on the surface. The stuff she says to the back... quite a different matter. She might read this... and see herself... so I'm not going to go any further.... except to say.... I will no longer talk about religion or politics with her. I've "dusted off my sandals".

People simply accept that these two friends of mine must have accepted Christ as their savior. After all... they grew up in the time when everyone went to church every Sunday. Are they wise enough to accept Christ in spite of what nowaday humans tell them? Are they wise enough to understand that a Christian path is hard to stay on but easier on the toes. There aren't as many bumps in the road to stumble over.

:coffee: