but keep my commands in your heart,
2 for they will prolong your life many years
and bring you peace and prosperity.

3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Then you will win favor and a good name
in the sight of God and man.​

I found this statement at Bible-studys.org.

When you know that you have done the right things, it does bring peace. Sin brings fear of punishment, but obedience brings peace.

This is from enduringword.com.

Let your heart keep my commands: Deciding to not forget God’s word is more than a mental exercise of memory. It is also connected to a life of obedience, one that does keep the commands of God. If one mentally remembers God’s Word yet fails to obey it, we could rightly say he or she has forgotten God’s commands.​

When I was in high school... I "borrowed" my friend's pen. It was beautiful. I really like beautiful pens. Anyway... I "borrowed" it but I didn't give it back. Then I avoided my friend because I didn't want to fess up. It gnawed on me for days.... I needed to give that pen back to my friend but I didn't know how to do it without it looking like I took it.... which was true. Finally, I did the right thing and gave the pen back. I apologized... not well but sort of.... and my friend was so happy to get the pen back... I was even sicker about the whole incident after I had returned the pen.

There this feeling of dread or doom that happens when I do something I know I shouldn't be doing. Given enough time... that dread or doom seems to wiggle it's way into my heart and brain until I've got a headache or generally feel like the weight of the world is my load. On the other hand... when I do the right thing.... It feels like a load is lifted... a wrong is righted.... life is good again.

Once I accepted Christ... something happened to me... I crave the feeling of doing the right thing.

:coffee: