Big Wind Auction Coming Up

Clem72

The problem with offshore wind is energy distribution. Since we don't have high temperature superconducting powerlines that don't lose energy I think the best method would be to store it and physically transport it. Batteries are heavy, and splitting water for hydrogen and oxygen is inefficient. Maybe they could use the wind-energy to power some means of puncturing the earth and extracting hydrocarbons.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The problem with offshore wind is energy distribution.

It's not a big problem for the 5-6000 turbines off the European coastlines. Some of the newest farms are 60 miles offshore, but 20-40 miles offshore is fairly typical. All the turbines in a single "farm" are connected to a main distribution point and sent via cables to shore from there. Typical "farm" sizes are 70-80 turbines.

Battery-like storage technology is the latest thing, with some pretty large ones being put in to service recently. On shore, of course...where the facilities are that invert the power to AC and feed it to the grid.

Clem72

:doh:

Yeah, I wasn't being serious. Just trying to make a joke about the best way of enabling offshore wind (i.e. super duper green renewable) energy being using it to power traditional offshore drilling.

nutz

The problem with offshore wind is energy distribution. Since we don't have high temperature superconducting powerlines that don't lose energy I think the best method would be to store it and physically transport it. Batteries are heavy, and splitting water for hydrogen and oxygen is inefficient. Maybe they could use the wind-energy to power some means of puncturing the earth and extracting hydrocarbons.

They maybe getting closer to finding answers.http://www.itas.kit.edu/english/erts_current_poga16_ensure.php
http://www.kit.edu/kit/english/pi_2018_126_nadine-power-plant-scale-energy-storage.php

nutz

Yeah, I wasn't being serious. Just trying to make a joke about the best way of enabling offshore wind (i.e. super duper green renewable) energy being using it to power traditional offshore drilling.

That ones easy, just get the Navy to leave a sub or carrier nearby to plug into.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Say...if offshore wind power was used to drill for oil and pump it shore and then power the refinery, would that make oil a "green" energy source? wmconfused4.gif