TSA union: Officers quitting over shutdown, posing threat to passenger safety

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Transportation Security Agency officers forced to work without knowing when their next paycheck is coming are no longer just calling in sick. Now, 18 days into the partial government shutdown, some are resigning, according to Hydrick Thomas, who heads the TSA Council on the American Federation of Government Employees.

“Every day I’m getting calls from my members about their extreme financial hardships and need for a paycheck. Some of them have already quit and many are considering quitting the federal workforce because of this shutdown,” the official said in a statement posted to the union's website on Tuesday. He did not specify how many had quit.

As essential employees, the country's approximately 50,000 TSA officers must remain on the job despite the shutdown.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...r-shutdown-posing-security-threat/2522906002/

Good There NEVER should have been a TSA anyway

TCROW

Now this is the sort of swamp draining I’ve been hoping for!

Let them seek employment in the private sector and actually generate wealth rather than live off of ours.

I saw a story earlier this week where two sisters started making cheesecake on the side to make up for lost income during the furlough. This is the best possible response.

officeguy

If you are not committed enough to to your job that a single paycheck getting hung up causes you to quit, then good riddance.

glhs837

Power with Control
Now this is the sort of swamp draining I’ve been hoping for!

Let them seek employment in the private sector and actually generate wealth rather than live off of ours.

I saw a story earlier this week where two sisters started making cheesecake on the side to make up for lost income during the furlough. This is the best possible response.

I hate these sorts of "Well, things are happening, I cant tell you details, just trust me." Do we have any verification of anyone quitting? I"m gonna bet not. Like the Cheesecake Sisters, bemoaning the lack of a paycheck they haven't actually done without yet, my eyebrows go up.

Hijinx

I hate these sorts of "Well, things are happening, I cant tell you details, just trust me." Do we have any verification of anyone quitting? I"m gonna bet not. Like the Cheesecake Sisters, bemoaning the lack of a paycheck they haven't actually done without yet, my eyebrows go up.

If they quit , can they apply for unemployment.?

black dog

Free America
I would bet that most that work for TSA it's the best job they have ever had..

aa.png

Chris0nllyn

If you are not committed enough to to your job that a single paycheck getting hung up causes you to quit, then good riddance.

It's not about the job, it's savings. Basic personal finance rules say to have 3-6 months of expenses saved.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Like it or not, TSA is there for SECURITY, both national and for the flying public. How effective they are can be debated but removing TSA is like saying get ride of CBP and ICE.
What's also lost here is that TSA agents are among the lowest paid, as are CBP and ICE agents, along with federal prison guards and Coast Guard enlisted ranks.

I do think a lot of this is media hype, but the rumors abound, they are quiting (not likely). More likely is calling in sick to work a cash job elsewhere.
Story today about the Coast Guard telling it's enlisted families to hold garage sales, dog sitting, etc.

I feel bad for them, I really do, they are caught in a power struggle between Congress and the Executive Branch. Between liberals and conservatives.

The larger issue should be framed as border security, not just "the wall". If we don't care about border secruity, then sure, drop TSA, ICE, CBP, etc. Why bother if we aren't going to enforce the laws.

Pains me a bit, but Trump is right, he didn't explain it very nicely, but if he were to let the democrats (and RINOs) "reopen" government, his bargaining chips are gone.
If they left DHS out now, it would mean that there would still be tens of thousands of the lowest paid workers would still be working without pay (TSA, ICE, CBP, ICE, Coast Guard)

TCROW

I have no idea as to the veracity of the reports of resignations. But a man can hope.

Chris0nllyn

Like it or not, TSA is there for SECURITY, both national and for the flying public. How effective they are can be debated but removing TSA is like saying get ride of CBP and ICE.
What's also lost here is that TSA agents are among the lowest paid, as are CBP and ICE agents, along with federal prison guards and Coast Guard enlisted ranks.

I do think a lot of this is media hype, but the rumors abound, they are quiting (not likely). More likely is calling in sick to work a cash job elsewhere.
Story today about the Coast Guard telling it's enlisted families to hold garage sales, dog sitting, etc.

I feel bad for them, I really do, they are caught in a power struggle between Congress and the Executive Branch. Between liberals and conservatives.

The larger issue should be framed as border security, not just "the wall". If we don't care about border secruity, then sure, drop TSA, ICE, CBP, etc. Why bother if we aren't going to enforce the laws.

Pains me a bit, but Trump is right, he didn't explain it very nicely, but if he were to let the democrats (and RINOs) "reopen" government, his bargaining chips are gone.
If they left DHS out now, it would mean that there would still be tens of thousands of the lowest paid workers would still be working without pay (TSA, ICE, CBP, ICE, Coast Guard)

When TSA fails to find guns and bombs 95% of the time, it's not security, it's security theater.

If Trump caired about security, and he believes the TSA provides airport/airline security, it doesn't make much sense (to me anyway) to force them to work without pay in order to secure funding for a few miles of wall that wouldn't be built for months or years.

This_person

Like it or not, TSA is there for SECURITY, both national and for the flying public.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

It is a violation of our rights. Federal marshals randomly on planes are for the security of the flying public. They still exist, and rightfully so. Like cops are not on every street at every house in every room all the time, neither are marshals - but they do the job effectively.

Searching your things without a warrant - without even a crime being committed - is an abomination. Not a single citizen should stand for it.

How effective they are can be debated but removing TSA is like saying get ride of CBP and ICE.

Well, except that we know CBP and ICE have arrested people for doing things against what they are there for, and not a single terrorist has ever been arrested by the TSA - or even caught. however, HUNDREDS of TSA agents have been arrested for acting improperly with citizens' stuff.

Yet, they still have no constitutional authority to exist as agents.

The larger issue should be framed as border security, not just "the wall".

Trump did that, and virtually everyone focused ONLY when he mentioned the border fencing/wall.

Pains me a bit, but Trump is right

Why in the world would it pain you to have to say the president is right about something? Given that's his job, shouldn't it enthrall you?

I was excitedly happy every time Obama was right about something, not pained. Granted, it was rare, but it made me happy, not pained.

BernieP

Resident PIA
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

It is a violation of our rights. Federal marshals randomly on planes are for the security of the flying public. They still exist, and rightfully so. Like cops are not on every street at every house in every room all the time, neither are marshals - but they do the job effectively.

Searching your things without a warrant - without even a crime being committed - is an abomination. Not a single citizen should stand for it.

Well, except that we know CBP and ICE have arrested people for doing things against what they are there for, and not a single terrorist has ever been arrested by the TSA - or even caught. however, HUNDREDS of TSA agents have been arrested for acting improperly with citizens' stuff.

Yet, they still have no constitutional authority to exist as agents.

Trump did that, and virtually everyone focused ONLY when he mentioned the border fencing/wall.

Why in the world would it pain you to have to say the president is right about something? Given that's his job, shouldn't it enthrall you?

I was excitedly happy every time Obama was right about something, not pained. Granted, it was rare, but it made me happy, not pained.

How is passenger screen a violation of your rights? What constitutional authoirty does any agency have to enforce the laws / rules?
The Constitution grants very little to the government, all rights not granted belong to the people. Under the protect and defend the United States the executive branch has been given the authorty by congress to employ agents to enforce laws.
Laws that have been deemed proper with in the restriction of the Constitution (including all amendements, i.e. Bill of Rights plus).

I didn't say it was Trump's fault. He does feed into the firestorm by bring up the wall and not emphasizing more immigration enforcement and border security.

It pains me only in that Trump is an ass, he's actually a bigger ass than was Obama. Trump's mouth is a large part of the problem in getting the message out (IMHO).
He gives the media the 30 second sound bites, that they can use to broadcast their agenda.
His job is to lead, to be a diplomat, to be "Presidential". At times, he's cringe worthy.

This_person

How is passenger screen a violation of your rights?

They don't screen passengers, they search passengers and their luggage, taking what they don't like whether it is illegal or not. This is in direct violation of the Fourth Amendment because there is no warrant, no probable cause to get a warrant, no oath or affirmation of the probable cause (that isn't there) to support the warrant (that isn't there).

What constitutional authoirty does any agency have to enforce the laws / rules?

Um, all that granted within the constitution. Recall, the final clause of Article One, Section Eight says, "The Congress shall have Power... To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof." In short, if the Constitution doesn't allow it, it's not allowed for the government to do.

The Constitution grants very little to the government, all rights not granted belong to the people. Under the protect and defend the United States the executive branch has been given the authorty by congress to employ agents to enforce laws.
Laws that have been deemed proper within the restriction of the Constitution (including all amendements, i.e. Bill of Rights plus).

Ok, then square searching my suitcase and my person with the fourth amendment.

I didn't say it was Trump's fault. He does feed into the firestorm by bring up the wall and not emphasizing more immigration enforcement and border security.
But, he DID bring up a lot more. Did you listen to his address?

It pains me only in that Trump is an ass, he's actually a bigger ass than was Obama. Trump's mouth is a large part of the problem in getting the message out (IMHO).
He gives the media the 30 second sound bites, that they can use to broadcast their agenda.
His job is to lead, to be a diplomat, to be "Presidential". At times, he's cringe worthy.

I grant he's not diplomatic, but his job is not to lead the nation, it is to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States in the act of leading the federal government.
US Constitution said:
Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
... they search passengers and their luggage, taking what they don't like whether it is illegal or not.

a quick search ...... TSA Screeners are NOT Police

so the 4th amendment does not apply ?

don't want searched don't fly ..... And FTR I despise the TSA

This_person

a quick search ...... TSA Screeners are NOT Police

so the 4th amendment does not apply ?

I did not read in the fourth where the restriction is against police only, but government officials. Are they not government officials?

don't want searched don't fly ..... And FTR I despise the TSA

Don't want to be robbed, don't own anything worth taking?

Don't want to be raped, don't wear your skirt so short?

Flying is a right. Travel is a right. It is not up to the government to deny a right - in direct violation of the Constitution - to exercise a right.