Should Pres. Kamala Harris Declare Nat. Emergency on Climate Change?

This_person

A national emergency declaration by President Donald Trump over border security could wind up hurting Republicans, GOP Sen. Marco Rubio told CNBC on Wednesday.

The Florida Republican contended that Trump was elected on the promise of building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and the president has to "keep that promise." But "we have to be careful about endorsing broad uses of executive power," he added. "I'm not prepared to endorse that right now."

Such a declaration would set a precedent, Rubio said. "If today, the national emergency is border security ... tomorrow the national emergency might be climate change."

I have to admit, I thought the same type of thing. Not sure I would want expansion of executive authority.

Hijinx

I get it, people tried it with him. But, to his credit, and to the best of my knowledge, he never tried to declare the national emergency in order to regulate as he saw fit.

Donald Trump was elected for a lot of reason's, one of those being his promise to build a wall.
The people who elected him know what the problem with the wall is, and it isn't Donald Trump.

No way can anyone keep a promise with a whole party of Democrats fighting him and half of his own party being the cowardly sh1ts they are.
Do I feel Donald Trump has let me down>Hell no> No one has fought harder than Trump to keep his promise's
No one has faced the opposition he faces---from his own party, from Democrat's, from the media.
And yet he keeps fighting. Fighting for what I elected him to fight for.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hello? This is why I hated that little turd when he was running for POTUS. FOREIGN INVASION IS A NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

:banghead:

Why is this hard???

They're freaking attacking our border guards and do whatever they can to gain illegal entry into our country. WTF are we waiting for???

These freaking Republicans - what a bunch of slimy cowards.

This_person

Donald Trump was elected for a lot of reason's, one of those being his promise to build a wall.
The people who elected him know what the problem with the wall is, and it isn't Donald Trump.

No way can anyone keep a promise with a whole party of Democrats fighting him and half of his own party being the cowardly sh1ts they are.
Do I feel Donald Trump has let me down>Hell no> No one has fought harder than Trump to keep his promise's
No one has faced the opposition he faces---from his own party, from Democrat's, from the media.

Do you believe that him making it a campaign promise is sufficient to further executive authority to declare a national emergency over it?

This_person

Hello? This is why I hated that little turd when he was running for POTUS. FOREIGN INVASION IS A NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

:banghead:

Why is this hard???

They're freaking attacking our border guards and do whatever they can to gain illegal entry into our country. WTF are we waiting for???

These freaking Republicans - what a bunch of slimy cowards.

I concur - to the point that he sent the Army there. We can fully agree that emergency - the root of which is "emerge", or appear suddenly - calls for an emergent response and sending the Army there was definitely the appropriate emergent response.

Years of construction? That's no more emergency response than providing FEMA trailers for years to hurricane victims was emergency response.

Like Reid phucked up by giving McConnell the ability to put judges in without needing a supermajority to end cloture, so would a president who takes it upon himself to set this as an appropriate "emergency response", because that sets up future presidents doing something really bad in the name of "emergency response".

If he LEAVES the Army there indefinitely until there's a resolution on the wall - I will sing his praises. Set them up every 100 feet and have them relieved every two hours. I'm all for that, until the threat is eliminated or reduced by a security barrier of some kind, I'm all for it.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!

:yeahthat:

Do I agree with everything he has done, no. Do I feel like he is up against the dark state, yes.

Sadly, I am embarrassed by our country now. Not because of Donald Trump. It is because we have a huge deep state in Washington DC that is disengaged from what the people want. It is because we have a political party that is more worried about non-Americans than they are Americans. It is because the other party has their head so far up their own ass they can't get anything done. It is because "rural America" spoke loud and clear that they were fed up with how Washington was doing business, so they supported a business man to make business decisions in the best interest of this country not a party or a specific group. I am embarrassed that after 2 years I have not seen one bit of collusion or obstruction of justice but the mainstream media (even FOX does it) continues to beat that drum. I am embarrassed that a push to socialize our republic is ongoing and people do not seem to care. I am embarrassed that Pelosi and Schumer looked like idiots with their childish behavior. Neither Russia nor China need to do anything other than sit back and watch (laugh and eat popcorn too) while we implode.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do you believe that him making it a campaign promise is sufficient to further executive authority to declare a national emergency over it?

It's not *that* he made the promise; it's *why* he made it.

We have a severe problem with illegal immigration. It's been going on for decades. All the politicians blather about it, but none of them has actually done anything. Until now.

It's frustrating that so many people do not understand why we elected Donald Trump to be our President, even after it has been explained to them a thousand times. We don't reflect him and do what he wants; it is exactly the other way around - *he* reflects *us* and does what *we* want.

This isn't hard.

Midnightrider

We have a severe problem with illegal immigration. It's been going on for decades. All the politicians blather about it, but none of them has actually done anything. Until now.

It's frustrating that so many people do not understand why we elected Donald Trump to be our President, even after it has been explained to them a thousand times. We don't reflect him and do what he wants; it is exactly the other way around - *he* reflects *us* and does what *we* want.

This isn't hard.
its been going on for decades AND its been in steady decline. that is kind of the opposite of a national emergency.

This_person

This isn't hard.

Again, you and I agree on everything you said. I believe he is more interested in Americans than himself, and his actions prove it on a daily basis. I believe he is a politician, by definition, but that he is one more like the founders than any we've had in two or three generations - he is actually trying to do the job he was hired for without the need to be personally advanced by it. I believe he does it for the good of the nation, not of DJT personally.

But, that's not the point.

If he had gone in two Januaries ago and declared it for the border barrier due to the "emergency", or even a few months later, I'd be on board. He didn't. The rest of '17 went by without it being a sufficient emergency. All of '18 went by without it being a sufficient emergency. He DID send troops, which demonstrated an emergency response.

But, do you really want that precedence set; that two years into a presidency a president can declare an emergency based on almost no change in status other than "Congress still didn't pay for it" to declare an actual national emergency?

Pull troops from Syria, from so many other places. Put them on the border, and wait for someone to try and cross. Anyone who tries to cross that gets captured by a military person is an enemy combatant, and treat them as such. Now there's no question as to whether or not they can be immediately sent back without a years-long judicial process we hope they show up for....they're in the control of the military as military combatants and can be sent back.

That will cost a LOT more than $5B, and Congress will have to fund it, or choose to defund the military from doing it. Or, put in border barrier to replace the need.

stgislander

PREMO Member
If he LEAVES the Army there indefinitely until there's a resolution on the wall - I will sing his praises. Set them up every 100 feet and have them relieved every two hours. I'm all for that, until the threat is eliminated or reduced by a security barrier of some kind, I'm all for it.

I'm sure the troops would rather be at the border than in A-stan or Syria.

This_person

its been going on for decades AND its been in steady decline. that is kind of the opposite of a national emergency.

You have no idea how many come across that don't get caught any more than anyone else does. I do not know what your mental problem is, but I am impressed by your tenacity to hold onto it without seeking treatment.

If you don't see thousands of people declaring they are going to march into our country illegally as a problem, you're even more of an idiot than you show yourself to be here daily.

It was a reasonable thing to call the sending of the Army an emergency response to an actual emergency, and that hasn't gone away.

However, the usurpation of multiple billions of dollars for a permanent solution to a domestic problem is not the right way to address an emergency, and it further expands executive power - and I am against that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If he had gone in two Januaries ago and declared it for the border barrier due to the "emergency", or even a few months later, I'd be on board. He didn't. The rest of '17 went by without it being a sufficient emergency. All of '18 went by without it being a sufficient emergency.

That's because he thought the Dems would do their damn job - the job they themselves declared when Obama was President. Obviously he shouldn't have trusted them because they are all liars and skeevy grifters. That was his mistake. In fact, that's the biggest mistake of the Trump presidency: trusting the corrupt politicians to actually have America's best interests at heart. And that goes for both parties.

I think he had an inkling - he ran in these circles for decades - but I don't think he realized just how deep and ingrained it is.

This_person

That's because he thought the Dems would do their damn job - the job they themselves declared when Obama was President. Obviously he shouldn't have trusted them because they are all liars and skeevy grifters. That was his mistake. In fact, that's the biggest mistake of the Trump presidency: trusting the corrupt politicians to actually have America's best interests at heart. And that goes for both parties.

I think he had an inkling - he ran in these circles for decades - but I don't think he realized just how deep and ingrained it is.

No Republican and no proponent of limited government should be cheering this abuse of power, and members of Congress should focus on reasserting legislative power rather than continuing to cede power to the executive branch.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The views expressed here are those of the author and do not represent those of any other individual or entity.

She got that right.

#### her. I don't care what she has to say and her opinion means squat to me. If Congress refuses to act to secure our border and fight off the foreign invasion, then the President must. The end.

PS, *Trump* did not break that promise; the effing Democrat corrupt partisan #### heads and their ahole Repukelican counterparts are forcing it. If it were up to Trump alone we would have had that wall last year.

This is their whole goal: to thwart Trump's goal for border security so that in 2020 they can screech about how he didn't keep his promise. It's political bull#### and I'm sick of it.

This_person

She got that right.

#### her. I don't care what she has to say and her opinion means squat to me. If Congress refuses to act to secure our border and fight off the foreign invasion, then the President must. The end.

PS, *Trump* did not break that promise; the effing Democrat corrupt partisan #### heads and their ahole Repukelican counterparts are forcing it. If it were up to Trump alone we would have had that wall last year.

This is their whole goal: to thwart Trump's goal for border security so that in 2020 they can screech about how he didn't keep his promise. It's political bull#### and I'm sick of it.

And act he should. Act improperly? No.