So tell me about your air fryer

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Monello and I go back and forth - we want one, would we use it?, but we want it, but probably wouldn't use it. We don't eat a lot of fried foods, but I got to thinking about chicken wings. What I used to do was throw the nekkid wings into a pot of hot oil, fry them, then give them a dose of sauce. (This is the Christy method, btw) I wouldn't do that in the motorhome because it would stink like ghetto crack house for weeks. But with an air fryer....

Talk me into getting one.

black dog

Free America
I steam my chick wings for maybe 15 min and then finish them in the oven.
Steaming them gets all the grease out of them so when put in the oven the house doesn't get smoked up. I use one of these three level racks that go in a stock pot.

I love fried food, but at 60 I don't do much of it anymore.. #doublesadface

I've said it a dozen times... we user ours daily, several times a day and not just for 'frying'. I often use it to roast veggies (spray with oil first then put in basket) to use as toppings for homemade dishes, pizza, omelets, etc. It does the work for me while I'm doing other preparations. I use it for baked potatoes spritzing the outer shell with EVOO and then covering it with seasonings so that the shell is the yummiest part of eating the potato. Crab cakes, wings, etc.

The secret of success is understanding that because it is convection, if your item is thicker and/or frozen, you drop the temp from the default average (370) that is the typical setting to around 350 or 340 so that the outside doesn't get 'crisped' too fast allowing the core to come up to temp. A perfect example I can give: the frozen chicken cordon bleu cooks to absolute perfection I put the two of them (one for me and one for him) in the basket, set it to 340 for 20 minutes and then walk away. When the buzzer sounds, I find them perfectly cooked, crisped with the gooey center still intact as it should be. During that 20 minutes of not having to think about it, I finished preparing the salads and sides that we had with it.

We use it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks etc. I recommend you search for recipes to grasp the idea of what they can do... and the best part is not needing an oven. The air fryer does not radiate heat to the house like an oven does so it is a blessing in the summer months.

Bonehead

As for the smell when making wings, fried is fried, chicken fat does stink and the RV will stink unless you air fry them outside. Which in an RV in nice weather is doable.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Great for reheating food ... anything where you night have used a toaster oven or gotten out a skillet to reheat like a pork chop

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, we did it! Got an airfryer/toaster oven combo. The idea being that if we could replace the toaster oven with it and just keep it out all the time, we'd use it more.

Toaster part works well, now I'm air frying cauliflower tots and will know in about 10 mins. Next will be chicken wings.

PS, here's a site that has a ton of information:

https://airfrying.net

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Caulitots were a success! When I've made them in the toaster oven they are disgustingly soggy no matter how long or at what temp I cook them. These took 10 mins and are nice and crisp.

Wings are in right now.

Okay, Kwilly, you were right. :notworthy: I'm liking the air fryer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wings were a success! I threw them in naked, 22 mins at 400, flipping halfway through, then tossed them in garlic butter with Tony Chachere seasoning. They are perfectly done, crispy skin.

Afterward I had to clean the interior because of chicken fat spatter, but that's to be expected.

Wings were a success! I threw them in naked, 22 mins at 400, flipping halfway through, then tossed them in garlic butter with Tony Chachere seasoning. They are perfectly done, crispy skin.

Afterward I had to clean the interior because of chicken fat spatter, but that's to be expected.

Wait until you heat up a slice of pizza. Only takes a couple minutes on at 380 and taste like it was just made.