Town Creek Wants County Funding for Pool Repair

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Town Creek Wants County Funding for Pool Repair

Date: 01-12-2019 05:53 PM

Summary: The community swimming pool has been closed for the past two summers due to failing plumbing.

Click here for the full story...

Bonehead

I don't see why my tax money should be used to support a pool that is not open to the public. We have a public pool that is available to anyone.

black dog

Free America
They should have brought up being tax exempt 40,30,20,10,5 years ago... I thought one could only go back 3 years with property tax problems...

General Lee

I don't see why my tax money should be used to support a pool that is not open to the public. We have a public pool that is available to anyone.

I agree.

And that other lady that wants the community center seems like shes from the gimme gimme entitlement crowd. The ghetto park can't take care of anything they are given anyway.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I paid for a membership in that pool for years when my kids were little and lived within walking distance. I never heard it called a “community pool”. ? The memberships were not cheap either.

Hijinx

I paid for a membership in that pool for years when my kids were little and lived within walking distance. I never heard it called a “community pool”. ? The memberships were not cheap either.

A 50 year old pool is probably cheaper to tear down and build a new one than to toss good money after bad.
Not being a pool enthusiast I really don't know.

glhs837

Power with Control

They should have brought up being tax exempt 40,30,20,10,5 years ago... I thought one could only go back 3 years with property tax problems...

Exactly to both points. They are tying the pool to the tax issue so they can pull a couple of heartstrings, "think of the children". If they really had a case on the taxes, they wouldnt need to emotional appeal of the pool. And pitching it as a community pool is the same thing.

PeoplesElbow

If the county does pay for it does that mean I can go to that pool?

I'll shave Town Creek #1 in my back hair if I can.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
TC pool is a members only pool, with steep membership fees. THAT is what should be paying for their repairs, not taxpayer money. They've had 40 years to correct their tax exempt status, what seems to be the problem?

glhs837

Power with Control
TC pool is a members only pool, with steep membership fees. THAT is what should be paying for their repairs, not taxpayer money. They've had 40 years to correct their tax exempt status, what seems to be the problem?

Wonder what the books look like

officeguy

Sounds like the association may have a claim against their directors liability insurance policy. It's not the countys job to look through their tax rolls to find the non-profits that may or may not be exempt. It's up to the officers of the tax exempt organization to file the right paperwork. If the county is nice, they should give the taxes back to the pool association, but there is absolutely no reason for a members only pool to receive subsidies from the tax payer beyond that.