Proverbs 3 Tree of Life

seekeroftruth

Proverbs 3:13 Blessed are those who find wisdom,
those who gain understanding,
14 for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies;
nothing you desire can compare with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
those who hold her fast will be blessed.​

I stayed in the easy English sites this morning.

In Proverbs 1:20-33, Solomon describes wisdom as a woman. This happens again in Proverbs 3:13-18. There is a difference. In Proverbs 1, Wisdom is angry with evil people. They have refused her advice. In Proverbs 3, we read about the people who love Wisdom. Wisdom brings good things to them; long life, wealth and honour. When we walk with Wisdom, our life is pleasant and beautiful.

These verses compare Wisdom to valuable objects. She is worth more than precious stones. Her value is more than silver or gold.

You can put your money in a bank. The bank will pay you an income. However, the bank is not as good as Wisdom. If you give your life to Wisdom, she will pay more than any bank. No bank can make your life longer. But Wisdom can give a long life. No bank can promise you a place in heaven. But wisdom can promise this. No bank can make you right with God. Wisdom can do this.

The happiness that wisdom brings is not just an emotion. This is the same happiness that Jesus describes in Matthew 5:3-12. When God forgives our evil actions, we receive his joy in our spirits.

Sometimes our lives will still be difficult. Sometimes, we shall be very sad. Even then, God will comfort us. He will look after us. Although we are sad, God’s joy will still be in our hearts. And we will have good lives, because God will help us.

David wrote, ‘Even when death is near, you (God) are with me. So, I am not afraid. You guide and comfort me’ (Psalm 23:4). David was not happy when he was in danger. But he knew that God’s joy was in his spirit. So he was not afraid of the dangers that surrounded him.

Awful things have happened in my life. Lyme and cancer are minor compared to some. But... I've known about Jesus since I was a toddler... thanks to my dad.... and accepted Jesus into my life when I was 12. I was Baptized the same day as my mother. I have seen things no Christian woman should see. I've met people I had no business being around. I've hitch hiked across the country and back. I've had times when I was flush with cash and good times.... and times I couldn't rub two pennies together. Through all of that... yep even the cancer and Lyme.... I was always able to count on God. I knew He was in control and it all had a purpose. Maybe that purpose was as simple as having something to write this morning.... to show... with God in control.... everything is bearable.

In the last verses... Solomon was saying you'll have plenty.... what would a rich man know about having "plenty".... it's like they are always hunting down one more gold piece or one more precious stone... one more grand portrait.... You can't have plenty if you think you need more.

I don't need gold and precious stones.... I don't even need my health. God's got me.... He'll get me through this... and one day when I wake up... I'll be living near a translucent river of gold... at God's place... where Jesus lives.... where they built a place just for me.... rent paid....

:coffee: