Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RHEEM ELECTRIC Tankless Hot Water Heater

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    That is not entirely true. I installed an electric tankless and have been pleased with the performance and savings.
    Please provide the numbers. Total costs=Cost of heater, installation costs, material costs etc. vs electrical costs savings per month or annualized. Please.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    Please provide the numbers. Total costs=Cost of heater, installation costs, material costs etc. vs electrical costs savings per month or annualized. Please.
    I'd also be curious about the numbers, but it's not necessarily relevant. Total costs are not always the defining factor for "pleased with the savings". He may never reach payback - but he can still be pleased with a lower monthly bill, as well as being pleased with the unlimited hot water.

For example, I'm considering installing in-floor heating when we replace carpet with tile in a large room. I expect to be pleased with the warm floor, period. I also expect to be pleased that it will cost less to heat that room - while I'm also fully aware that the monthly cost decrease will NEVER pay for the cost of installation. I consider it an acceptable tradeoff for the luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenhawk View Post
    I'd also be curious about the numbers, but it's not necessarily relevant. Total costs are not always the defining factor for "pleased with the savings". He may never reach payback - but he can still be pleased with a lower monthly bill, as well as being pleased with the unlimited hot water.

For example, I'm considering installing in-floor heating when we replace carpet with tile in a large room. I expect to be pleased with the warm floor, period. I also expect to be pleased that it will cost less to heat that room - while I'm also fully aware that the monthly cost decrease will NEVER pay for the cost of installation. I consider it an acceptable tradeoff for the luxury.
    What's more relevant is the number of users.

If it's one person who works a ton, it may cost more to heat the water and not use it (in a traditional tank heater) vs. on demand heating (even though extended on demand use would drive up the electricity costs).
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

This calculator
    https://ouc.bizenergyadvisor.com/BEA...ing/PA-23_calc
    (assuming $0.13/kWh and $3.25/gallon of propane)

implies that if you use 100 gallons of hot water a day, you'd save about $30/year (~3%) switching from an efficient standard electric water heater to a tankless heater; propane-fueled would be rather more expensive right now.

Not a huge savings.

A MUCH bigger savings would come from installing a heat-pump water heater (~$300-400/year, or 50%-75% savings).
    https://smud-heatpumph2o.org/calc.php

However, I consider that a questionable savings since it's rather cheap to fix a standard electric resistance heater (often a $15 part), compared to fixing a heat pump (hundreds of dollars for most repairs).

Members who have read this thread: 49