Why private companies are better than the federal government

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Two weeks ago I ordered some forms from the IRS so I can do employer tax stuff. Supposed to be here in 10 days. Still haven't arrived, nor do they have tracking so I can see if they are at least en route.

I suspect that the shutdown may have something to do with them not showing up yet (if at all). So I spent the $30 and ordered the forms from Staples - they will arrive tomorrow AND I can track their progress.

Here's another "government is stupid" story:

I have a Good Sam box that is for mail forwarding purposes only. I have a physical MD address, but my mailing address is the GS one in Florida so that I can have my mail forwarded to wherever I happen to be.

Maryland - after almost three years - has taken that to mean that I live in Florida now (never mind that my MD physical address is on file with them) and has sent me an auto insurance cancellation notice. This has come from the Maryland Insurance Commissioner, not my actual agent or agency. My agent and agency understand that the FL address is for mailing purposes only and that I do not physically reside in Florida - that I am a Maryland resident, paying Maryland taxes, with a Maryland business, and a Maryland physical address. MD Insurance Commission, on the other hand, keeps insisting that I now live in Florida. That it's just a mail forwarding service seems to be beyond their comprehension.

:banghead:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bureaucracy at it's finest .....

... back in the 90s DC tracked Foster kids on 3x5 cards and Parking Tickets by computer

PeoplesElbow

Florida has no state taxes and their vehicle registration is much cheaper!

More importantly why can't you just download the form in PDF form?

I had a hell of a time figuring out how to handle things with the IRS when my dad passed away. I could find a form for what to do if you were an astronaut in space on April 15th but nothing on how to handle a family members passing....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Florida has no state taxes and their vehicle registration is much cheaper!

As an employee of a Maryland corporation, if my legal residence is in another state, MD still taxes me....hard.

https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Bus...Information/Nonresident_Income_Tax_Rate.shtml

Nonresidents who work in Maryland or derive income from a Maryland source are subject to the appropriate Maryland income tax rate for their income level, as well as a special nonresident tax rate. The special nonresident tax rate has increased from 1.25% to 1.75% in 2016.

More importantly why can't you just download the form in PDF form?

Because the two forms I need have to be on their magnetic ink paper that they can scan, and it's the ONLY MD or Fed form that can't be e-filed. It's completely stupid.

PeoplesElbow

As an employee of a Maryland corporation, if my legal residence is in another state, MD still taxes me....hard.

https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Bus...Information/Nonresident_Income_Tax_Rate.shtml

Nonresidents who work in Maryland or derive income from a Maryland source are subject to the appropriate Maryland income tax rate for their income level, as well as a special nonresident tax rate. The special nonresident tax rate has increased from 1.25% to 1.75% in 2016.

Because the two forms I need have to be on their magnetic ink paper that they can scan, and it's the ONLY MD or Fed form that can't be e-filed. It's completely stupid.

Wow that sucks on all levels. I still don't get why they prefer a scanned magnetic ink form vs an electronic submission...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I still don't get why they prefer a scanned magnetic ink form vs an electronic submission...

Nor do I, especially since every other damn form can be submitted electronically, and this is a fairly standard form that many employers file. I even looked again to see if maybe they'd changed it for this year, but nope.

transporter

Two weeks ago I ordered some forms from the IRS so I can do employer tax stuff. Supposed to be here in 10 days. Still haven't arrived, nor do they have tracking so I can see if they are at least en route.

I suspect that the shutdown may have something to do with them not showing up yet (if at all). So I spent the $30 and ordered the forms from Staples - they will arrive tomorrow AND I can track their progress.

Here's another "government is stupid" story:

I have a Good Sam box that is for mail forwarding purposes only. I have a physical MD address, but my mailing address is the GS one in Florida so that I can have my mail forwarded to wherever I happen to be.

Maryland - after almost three years - has taken that to mean that I live in Florida now (never mind that my MD physical address is on file with them) and has sent me an auto insurance cancellation notice. This has come from the Maryland Insurance Commissioner, not my actual agent or agency. My agent and agency understand that the FL address is for mailing purposes only and that I do not physically reside in Florida - that I am a Maryland resident, paying Maryland taxes, with a Maryland business, and a Maryland physical address. MD Insurance Commission, on the other hand, keeps insisting that I now live in Florida. That it's just a mail forwarding service seems to be beyond their comprehension.

:banghead:

Wow...so you don't know (but "suspect) that the shutdown has something to do with your IRS forms??? Why don't you know??? Too stupid to use google? Haven't listened to any actual news in the past 3 weeks that details the shutdown related problems at the IRS????

As for forwarding mail...where your mail goes is a key ingredient in determining state of domicile. LOTS of people have more than one property...you have your mail forwarded to FL...that is a strong indicator that you live in FL. REALLY, REALLY basic stuff.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Wow...so you don't know (but "suspect) that the shutdown has something to do with your IRS forms??? Why don't you know??? Too stupid to use google? Haven't listened to any actual news in the past 3 weeks that details the shutdown related problems at the IRS????

As for forwarding mail...where your mail goes is a key ingredient in determining state of domicile. LOTS of people have more than one property...you have your mail forwarded to FL...that is a strong indicator that you live in FL. REALLY, REALLY basic stuff.

Sucks to be you......

littlelady

God bless the USA

You really are dense. And, don’t bother to reply that I just got home from the bar(s)...just sayin’.

Happy foruming!

black dog

Free America

Maryland,,,,,,,,, it's the reason I moved back to Indiana...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

ShitLikeThisIsWhyIwon.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
is there some reason you don't move the business to a more tax friendly state, now that you are 'mobile'

We've thought about it, but we are Southern Maryland Online. Incorporating in some other state doesn't seem right. It seems like something some ####bag tax grifter would do to avoid paying their share of the freight. I understand it's just business, but David and I have to feel good about what we do.