“Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you”—
when you already have it with you.
29 Do not plot harm against your neighbor,
who lives trustfully near you.
30 Do not accuse anyone for no reason—
when they have done you no harm.

31 Do not envy the violent
or choose any of their ways.​

The easy English is the least preachy this morning.

Jesus said, ‘Love your neighbour as much as you love yourself!’ (Mark 12:31) In Luke 10:30-37, Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37). A Samaritan was a person from a nation that the people from Jerusalem disliked (John 4:9). Jesus told his story to explain the word ‘neighbour’. In the story, a Samaritan rescued a man from Jerusalem. The Samaritan cared, because this man needed help. So, Jesus argued, this other man was the Samaritan’s neighbour. We should do the same. We should care about everyone whom God sends to us.

Jesus discussed this subject again in Matthew 5:43-48. ‘You have heard the words: “Love your neighbour. Hate your enemy.” I am telling you to love your enemies. Pray for anyone who attacks you.’ (Matthew 5:43-44) The people in Jesus’ time thought that they should hate their enemies. But the Bible does not tell us to hate our enemies. In fact, Jesus said that we should love our enemies.

We must be careful if we choose a model. If we copy an evil person, then we shall become evil. Even a holy person makes mistakes and could lead us in the wrong way.​

I have a neighbor who is a racist bigot. Not doubt about it... he claims it... he says it's from God. He says God separated us by color. He's also one of those who thinks that in a Christian household the wife always... ABSOLUTELY always... does what the husband tells her to do. And my neighbors wife goes along with him.... hook line and sinker.... [and IMHO she's way old enough to know better].

Now the commentary brings up the Samaritans in the Bible. When Moses was taking the Israelites to the Promised Land... the shortest way to get there would be to cut through Samaria. Now there were a couple million people in this procession along with all their animals... not just pets.... live stock.... and the Samaians closed the boarders. The Israelites had to walk for a long time to go around Samaria..... that's why the Israelites hated the Samaritans. Samaritans didn't take in refugees.

BUT... hold the bus.... there were some Samaritans with a heart like Jesus'. They saw a person in need and they helped them. They saw a neighbor... not a stranger.... a neighbor in need.

Now in my community there are a couple of neighbors who have become friends... a white woman and a black man. These two neighbors of mine would do anything for their neighbors. She made the coffee to go with the Monday morning donuts at the clubhouse. He helped his neighbor move furniture or hang pictures or take in groceries. She helps with birthday parties and pot lucks. They are good people. AND although they remain living in their own apartments... they are what you might call "a couple". Where you find one... the other isn't far away..... but we're all old and retired... so this is even more special.

Now the racist also runs a Bible Study in our neighborhood... every other weekend.... I don't go. I'm use to asking questions at a Bible Study.... not being subservient to a bully. This was actually the first Bible Study I stopped going to because of this kind of crap. I left another one just a couple weeks ago... I wrote about it in one of these posts.

Bullies and Racists have no problem blasting. It seems though, that we're all to meager to stand up. Here's the problem... If I stand up for my neighbors... the bullies and the racists won't take it out on me.... I'm white [Irish, Cherokee, French] and my family has been in the US since the late 1600's.... they take it out on my neighbors.

All I can do about the bullies and racists in my neighborhood is be kind to them. The wife has a very friendly smile when he's not around. She's wheelchair bound so she is dependent on others.... and she can't just run up and hug anyone.... she's kind of in a bad spot.... and I have to admit... she does buy all this garbage he spews as biblical. He's the problem... so I'll be kind.... but if I get a chance I'm going to ask him....

If God didn't want His chosen people to have anything to do with anyone else.... why is it Ruth, a Moabite, is the great great great whatever grandmother of Jesus the Savior? Moabites were not part of the class or chosen people.... Moabites worshiped a different god. Jesus died for all of us... Samaritans, Moabites, bullies, racists, helpers, and even me. It's not about race, color, national origin, abilities, money, or even perversions.... it's about Christ... love.... it's about Love! Jesus didn't say... "Into thy hands... for the WASPs".

Boy I'm preachy this morning... better quit while I'm only this far behind.

:coffee: