Gillette - Get Woke - Are They Gonna Go Broke

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Gillette ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Ad Relies on Men Being Bad to Sell Razors

The ad features a series of scenes in which physically masculine men bully women, their actions excused because “boys will be boys.” It’s “toxic masculinity,” as character in the ad describes it.

Then a group of ‘good’ men appear. These men do not have beards. They’re kind, helpful, and gentle with women and children, and better yet; they’ve shaved their beards with Gillette razors.

“We believe in the best in men, to say the right thing, to act in the right way,” says the voice narrator in the ad. “Some already are, in ways big and small. But some is not enough.”

Speaking of “toxic,” there’s nothing more toxic in this scenario than the assumption that physical male traits, such as facial hair, are in any way a predisposition to bad behavior and bullying women. But let’s face it: Gillette has some razors to sell. So why not hop onto the politicized anti-masculinity narrative while it lasts?

glhs837

Power with Control
“We believe in the best in men, to say the right thing, to act in the right way,” says the voice narrator in the ad. “Some already are, in ways big and small. But some is not enough.

Well, maybe I'm being toxic, but they can screw right off with "some". The great frikin majority are. Haven't bought anything from them since I bought my Braun 15 years ago, but if I did go back to a blade, I wouldnt buy them from these jokers.

Sapidus

I can't imagine what an insecure person you would have to be to take offense to a commercial telling you not to sexually molest women and bully kids?

glhs837

Power with Control
I can't imagine what an insecure person you would have to be to take offense to a commercial telling you not to sexually molest women and bully kids?

No, I don't take offense to the "don't bully people or harass women" message, although why a razor maker thinks they need that to be a part of their advertising baffles me. I take offense to the notion that only "some men" don't do those things. How many men do you know that do these things? I don't know any, but maybe we run with different crowds.

Clem72

No, I don't take offense to the "don't bully people or harass women" message, although why a razor maker thinks they need that to be a part of their advertising baffles me. I take offense to the notion that only "some men" don't do those things. How many men do you know that do these things? I don't know any, but maybe we run with different crowds.

Yeah, but how many people do you run with have beards? Checkmate.

Sapidus

Seems you are trying to talk out of both sides on your mouth on this one.

I recall the consensus on here being that " grabbing women by the pussy was" just locker room talk and how guys speak.

I don't speak that away and don't know any guys who do much last actually grab women that way but you cant have it both ways

This_person

I agree with Sappy there's nothing wrong with the larger message. I agree with you all that the company selling razors is probably not the place to have that message. The implication that two boys play-fighting is a problem for all men is just plain wrong. The bearded guy who comes out and stops his buddy from physically chasing a half-naked woman down the street saying, "not cool" is right - it's not cool and most every man I know is the one saying "not cool", not the leering one. The subliminal part of that scene, with the old man not caring one way or the other was a strong step on their part, too, I think.

Right message, wrong place to have it, and wrong to tie it with "toxic masculinity" without explaining the people who use that phrase like it's a good thing clearly believe ANY masculinity is "toxic".

This_person

I recall the consensus on here being that " grabbing women by the pussy was" just locker room talk and how guys speak.

I don't speak that away and don't know any guys who do much last actually grab women that way but you cant have it both ways

Most everyone on here condemned it as speech of people they don't hang around with, but we all know "that guy".

But, I don't remember you calling out Biden for saying he'd fight Trump "behind the barn" - was that "toxic masculinity"?

Grumpy

How's the videography project going down at St Mary's College??

gemma_rae

So the Schick Hydro Silk is much gentler on your nut sack?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Right message, wrong place to have it, and wrong to tie it with "toxic masculinity" without explaining the people who use that phrase like it's a good thing clearly believe ANY masculinity is "toxic".

Some marketing "genius" decided that over the top virtue signaling would sell. Oops. Poor ole Dicks sporting goods is a good example of why virtue signaling on a grand scale is a really bad idea.

Sapidus

not unexpected from a beta

See. Wait a few minutes and the idiots out themselves.

What is wrong with defending a women from getting sexually assaulted and why does a razor commercial pointing it out a threat to you?

Sapidus

Most everyone on here condemned it as speech of people they don't hang around with, but we all know "that guy".

But, I don't remember you calling out Biden for saying he'd fight Trump "behind the barn" - was that "toxic masculinity"?

No. Challenging another male of roughly the same age as you to a fight is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and character but its not "toxic masculinity"

glhs837

Power with Control

Not sure what you mean. Seems simple. Not being a bully and not harassing women are Good Things, think I mentioned that. Also dont think that all masculinity is a bad thing. In a larger sense, what folks term traditional "masculine" values are actually just good values, ones I worked very hard to instill in my children, male and female. Be strong, stand up for those who are not. Don't fight unless you have to, but if you need to be ready and willing to do so. Treat people with respect and courtesy, no matter who they are. My daughter does these things just as my son does. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't need lessons in proper behavior from advertisements. And I'm pretty sure the people who do behave this way won't be changed by a razor commercial.

And I'm certainly not going to be saddled with your notion of "what the consensus was here". I think I even mentioned on here within the last week that I think Trump is childish and a boor so let that be what it is. This doesn't really have anything to do with Trump.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No. Challenging another male of roughly the same age as you to a fight is stupid and shows a lack of intelligence and character

So will rule out you supporting Biden in 2020. Had you pegged for more of a Cory Booker supporter anyway.

Sapidus

Some marketing "genius" decided that over the top virtue signaling would sell. Oops. Poor ole Dicks sporting goods is a good example of why virtue signaling on a grand scale is a really bad idea.

you love trotting out those words you learn on Faux don't you?

Why are you so cynical? is it that hard to believe that a company might be willing to take a financial hit to do the right thing? Why you so greedy?