Maryland’s “red flag” law leads to148 seizures in first three months......

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I wonder if they will report on how many of those 148 had their firearms returned to them?

nutz

Accused of doing something wrong and after large legal bills, the weapons will probably be destroyed before the charges are decided. The gun owner will receive a huge “sorry bout that” and a voucher for a $100, have a nice day.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Accused of doing something wrong and after large legal bills, the weapons will probably be destroyed before the charges are decided. The gun owner will receive a huge “sorry bout that” and a voucher for a $100, have a nice day.

I'm sure those that drafted the bill are counting on that....that for many, the costs and hassle of getting their firearms back will outweigh their value. I hope there is a way to track that and learn more about the backside of the process.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
More ..and different...information in this report. Big difference in the numbers compared to the Wapo piece too.

here have been at least 172 "extreme risk" complaints in Maryland allowing the seizure of guns filed in the seven weeks since the state's controversial "Red Flag" law went into effect October 1st – a number that has exceeded expectations, according to Montgomery County Sheriff Darren Popkin.

....and..

Some gun owners have been able to get their weapons returned. Final seizure orders have been denied or dismissed by judges in 24 of the 172 cases so far.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/gun-siezures-under-maryland-red-flag-law-exceed-expectations/65-616308100

nutz

Hmmm, is this some agenda being pushed by local LEO’s? Domestic disturbance now equals a “ here, fill this form out and help us protect you and your children”.

Grumpy

I wonder if they will report on how many of those 148 had their firearms returned to them?

Friend of mine had a licensed handgun taken from him 3 years ago because of a bogus claim that has long since been settled. Petitioned to have gun returned after 18 months, took 6 months for that only to find out that the gun has been 'lost'

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I read that the original draft of the Red Flag bill made it so pretty much anyone could file a report on anyone else. The version that passed limited that substantially, but some of the legislators that drafted the original version want to go back and try to have the broader list added back in.

So if that does happen..piss off your neighbor..your GF or BF...someone at work....expect a visit from the law.

Hopefully it does not get through.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Friend of mine had a licensed handgun taken from him 3 years ago because of a bogus claim that has long since been settled. Petitioned to have gun returned after 18 months, took 6 months for that only to find out that the gun has been 'lost'

I've heard or read similar stories.

h3mech

I'm sure those that drafted the bill are counting on that....that for many, the costs and hassle of getting their firearms back will outweigh their value. I hope there is a way to track that and learn more about the backside of the process.

I would like to know why we as Marylanders why we didn't vote for this seem like it should be a state voters decision

glhs837

Power with Control
I would like to know why we as Marylanders why we didn't vote for this seem like it should be a state voters decision

Yeah, petitions, unless they are favored, pretty hard to get through. Even if you can get the signatures, the odds of enough of them passing an extremely critical verification process, "Mike, ya think this ones good? On the voter registration, they have a period after the middle initial, here on the petition form, no period. " "Well, Mike, since that's NOT a petition to increase our grant funds to Casa De Maryland, I"m gonna call that signature as no good".

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Did they compensate for the cash value so he could rebuy?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If accused, why not just 'transfer' ownership to a family member or friend? Seems this would be a legit loophole to preventing confiscation.