1 Chronicles 22 Plans

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 22:Then David said, “The house of the Lord God is to be here, and also the altar of burnt offering for Israel.”

2 So David gave orders to assemble the foreigners residing in Israel, and from among them he appointed stonecutters to prepare dressed stone for building the house of God. 3 He provided a large amount of iron to make nails for the doors of the gateways and for the fittings, and more bronze than could be weighed. 4 He also provided more cedar logs than could be counted, for the Sidonians and Tyrians had brought large numbers of them to David.

5 David said, “My son Solomon is young and inexperienced, and the house to be built for the Lord should be of great magnificence and fame and splendor in the sight of all the nations. Therefore I will make preparations for it.” So David made extensive preparations before his death.​

So his son was young and inexperienced.... even though God told David that Solomon would build the Temple.... David wouldn't let go. Now let's face it... young and experienced shouldn't phase a man who took on a giant with a rock. I think David was bored so he started developing a plan.

This commentary is from the easy English site.

David was about 70 years of age, which in those days was old. This was now near the end of his life. It was probably during the 40th and last year of his rule (26:31; 29:27). He appointed Solomon to be the next king of Israel.

To manage (run) the temple, there would need to be 2000 Levites on duty each month. They would not all work at the same time. Each of them would work for a part of the day or night. There were a total of 38 000 Levite men who were 30 years of age and over. 24 000 of them would do this work. The women would not work in the temple.

6000 Levites would be judges and officials. They would work in every part of the country. They would be experts in the law of the LORD and in the laws of the country.​

Now this.... it's from the enduringword.com site.

David commanded to gather the aliens who were in the land of Israel: 1 Kings 5:15-18 describes how these were actually put to work in the building of the temple in Solomon’s day, some 70,000 slaves.

Cedar trees in abundance: The cedar trees of Lebanon were legendary for their excellent timber. This means David (and Solomon after him) wanted to build the temple out of the best materials possible.

It also means that they were willing to build this great temple to God with “Gentile” wood and using “Gentile” labor. This was a temple to the God of Israel, but it was not only for Israel. Only Jews built the tabernacle, “But the temple is not built without the aid of the Gentile Tyrians. They, together with us, make up the Church of God.” (Trapp)

Payne on iron in abundance: “The king’s provision of ‘a large amount of iron’ reflects how conditions had changed during his time – known archaeologically as Iron I – due, no doubt, to the incorporation of iron-producing Philistines within the sphere of Hebrew control.”​

I recently saw a documentary on how these large projects were constructed out of boulders and great fallen trees.... and the narrator was just as confused as others.... how did they get those big boulders cut in the quarry and then up the mountain or across all those miles between the hew and harvest site and the construction site. They used the Nile to bring materials in for the pyramids. This Temple is on a mountain. Then, I had an idea. The Canaanites were giants!

I don't know how much of the giant was bred out of the Canaanites between the time Joshua and company scouted the Promised Land and David's encounter with Goliath.... but apparently there were still a lot of huge men around. What better way to utilize their magnificent stature and strength than hauling boulders and felled trees? Just saying.....

The commentary at bible-studys.org has more to say about Solomon.

“Young”: Solomon was born early in David’s reign (ca. 1000 – 990 B.C.), and was at this time 20 to 30 years of age. The magnificent and complex challenge of building such a monumental edifice with all its elements required an experience leader for preparation.

“Magnificent”: David understood that the temple needed to reflect on earth something of God’s heavenly majesty, so he devoted himself to the collection of the plans and materials, tapping the vast amount of spoils from people he had conquered and cities he had sacked.

“David had a great desire to build a “house for the Lord” (2 Sam. 7:2; 1 Chron. 17:1-2), but his task had been securing the kingdom through many wars and much bloodshed. Therefore, the privilege of erecting the temple would be given to “Solomon” (“Peaceable”), his “son”. Who would rule in a time of rest and peace. David was not allowed to build the temple; however, he made careful “preparation for it” (28:11-19; 29:1-9). And he admonished Solomon (28:9-10; 20-21), and the elders of Israel (28:1-8), to see to its construction.​

Boy.... what a life... David started out as a shepherd. His dad told him to go into town and check on his brother where David took on Goliath... a giant sized warrior in full armor.... with a rock. From there David went to planning a Temple in Jerusalem.... saying his son, Solomon, [who is credited as author of the Book of Proverbs] was too young and inexperienced at the age of 20 or 30. I guess David knew it all at that age. Yep... I'm sticking with my original thoughts... David was bored and he wanted to help plan the Temple. Solomon could learn through example. AND might I add... that's a luxury David didn't have. David's father wasn't anointed king by God.

:coffee: