Government Shutdown: Pampered Federal Workers Don't Deserve Anyone's Pity

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The worst thing about the government shutdown isn't the — minimal — harm it's causing. It's all the misplaced hand-wringing about federal workers, most of whom are overpaid and underworked, and all whom will get their back pay once government reopens.

As the shutdown goes on, news accounts of the alleged suffering of federal workers mount. They're lining up at food banks! They're forced to take odd jobs, or rent rooms out on Airbnb! They need help!

truby20

Fighting like a girl
The worst thing about the government shutdown isn't the — minimal — harm it's causing. It's all the misplaced hand-wringing about federal workers, most of whom are overpaid and underworked, and all whom will get their back pay once government reopens.

As the shutdown goes on, news accounts of the alleged suffering of federal workers mount. They're lining up at food banks! They're forced to take odd jobs, or rent rooms out on Airbnb! They need help!

I'm very frustrated that a uniformed service is working without pay in what is also being touted as one of the best economic times in our country.

I get that most of the articles you post are intentionally incendiary and should be ignored because of their extremeness, but after spending 10 minutes looking into this one it is just wrong. I mean, right off, they even link to the CBO report which they misquote!!!

An analysis of federal pay by the Congressional Budget Office found that when you combine pay and benefits, federal workers make as much as 52% more than their private sector counterparts,

Here is the CBO link from the article: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files?file=115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/52637-federalprivatepay.pdf

Among workers whose education culminated in a bachelor’s degree, the cost of total compensation averaged 21 percent more for federal workers than for similar workers in the private sector.

Among workers with a high school diploma or less education, total compensation costs averaged 53 percent more for federal employees than for their private-sector counterparts.

Total compensation costs among workers with a professional degree or doctorate, by contrast, were 18 percent lower for federal employees than for similar private-sector employees, on average.

And since over 50% of the workers have at least a bachelors degree the more accurate figure is 21%, but that doest grab a headline like the (incorrect) 52% (since it's actually 53% for those with only a high school diploma).

I think the author grabbed this figure to get the 52% number:

Average benefits were 52 percent higher for federal employees whose highest level of education was a bachelor’s degree than for similar private-sector employees (see Summary Table 1).

But benefits are not total compensation. Fake news?

Something that also really annoyed me about this article is showing that 95% of NASA employees are nonessential and should our government not be doing anything but essential work? Are they serious, are they suggesting we dismantle NASA? The Chinese are starting to eat our lunch with space exploration, we should be doubling down. We cannot depend just on our billionaires (Bezos and Musk) rocket companies to do this work. We used to be rightfully proud of our space program. I know Pence and Ivanka are big fans of it, they tweet about it ALL THE TIME, which I think is great. I just wish they'd also be advocating for NASA's employees right now, instead of boasting about the agency itself, it's the employees that make that agency.

transporter

You post some really stupid sh!t comrade. This one should be added to your "all time" greatest list.

That it comes from a resource that claims to be focused on providing investors with relevant information makes this that much more pathetic.

This piece displays a monumental level of ignorance....so you posted it on the proper site...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You post some really stupid sh!t comrade. This one should be added to your "all time" greatest list.

That it comes from a resource that claims to be focused on providing investors with relevant information makes this that much more pathetic.

This piece displays a monumental level of ignorance....so you posted it on the proper site...

We're all anxious to read the pieces you write that are published. Anything....heck, even an ad in the personals section..

But nuthin'..you got nuthin'..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You post some really stupid sh!t comrade.

This piece displays a monumental level of ignorance .... so you posted it on the proper site ...

Transporter the gift that keeps on giving ..........

Anyone or Anything that does not conform to YOUR World View is Either Ignorant, Uneducated, Propaganda or Selfish ..... a Russian Bot, a Russian Troll From Minsk or a "disinformation campaign"

Every post you make is against anyone or any group that doesn't conform to your propagandist viewpoints.

truby20

Fighting like a girl

You'll find few posts of me defending Obama, this is a clear example of another of his failings. He also froze federal pay for 3 years (which this article you linked ignored)

It also found that this gap has widened in recent years, because even when the economy was in a recession, federal workers kept getting annual pay hikes.

https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefit...-military-and-civilian-pay-raise-1984/144403/

0% for 2011-13 then 1% after that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You'll find few posts of me defending Obama

It was a throw - away comment but ok

to your point, NASA is not a Critical Agency require for this country

I'd be happy to see a few others go away, returning functions to states ... and MORE money go to NASA

Hijinx

It was a throw - away comment but ok

to your point, NASA is not a Critical Agency require for this country

I'd be happy to see a few others go away, returning functions to states ... and MORE money go to NASA

If so many of these Government employees are College graduates, one would think they would know better than to live beyond their means, to not provide themselves with a cushion and not to max out their credit cards.. I know many people live beyond their means it is so easy to do.but the crying started the day after it was announced and so far they have only missed one check.

The shut down is a joke when we realize that we need the wall and the 5 Billion dollars is a pittance compared to what the shut down is costing.
It's a damned shame that so many of these people are Hillary voters. Democrats who should be dead in Pelosi's sh*t..
It could all be over but for their TDS, The simple answer is that they do not want Trump to be successful, They don't want to give him a win, and now they are even afraid to listen to his State of the Union Address, Just as Pelosi was frightened of the "Angel " Mothers and ignored them.

Certainly NASA is not the only thing Obama destroyed, He destroyed just about every agency in the Government, and now we have to pay back the people the IRS screwed over. While the "lady" that did the screwing walks away with a pension and it cost her nothing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not even going to read some piece that is titled "Pampered Federal Workers".

Yes, some federal workers are worthless drones who would be fired except that it's impossible to do so, but most federal workers are middle income folks who are not pampered in any way. I totally disagree that they don't deserve our sympathy - of course they do. They and their families are caught in political bull####, and it's not right.

In fact, American federal workers deserve our sympathy WAY more than some damn Guatemalan drug dealer using a sick little kid to sneak his way illegally into our country.

Sapidus

I'm very frustrated that a uniformed service is working without pay in what is also being touted as one of the best economic times in our country.

I get that most of the articles you post are intentionally incendiary and should be ignored because of their extremeness, but after spending 10 minutes looking into this one it is just wrong. I mean, right off, they even link to the CBO report which they misquote!!!

Here is the CBO link from the article: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files?file=115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/52637-federalprivatepay.pdf

And since over 50% of the workers have at least a bachelors degree the more accurate figure is 21%, but that doest grab a headline like the (incorrect) 52% (since it's actually 53% for those with only a high school diploma).

I think the author grabbed this figure to get the 52% number:

But benefits are not total compensation. Fake news?

Something that also really annoyed me about this article is showing that 95% of NASA employees are nonessential and should our government not be doing anything but essential work? Are they serious, are they suggesting we dismantle NASA? The Chinese are starting to eat our lunch with space exploration, we should be doubling down. We cannot depend just on our billionaires (Bezos and Musk) rocket companies to do this work. We used to be rightfully proud of our space program. I know Pence and Ivanka are big fans of it, they tweet about it ALL THE TIME, which I think is great. I just wish they'd also be advocating for NASA's employees right now, instead of boasting about the agency itself, it's the employees that make that agency.

Thank you for your common sense and taking the time to rebut Gurps knee jerk reaction to defend anything and everything Trump does at all costs.

These are almost 1 million people ( probably more when you count the shops, restaurants and parking garages) that rely on the people for there income.

To hold these people hostage and in some cases make them work without pay is the worst of political gamesmanship this country has to offer.

And before you morons come and say well OBAMA did it too. You are misinformed eaters deliberately or because you don't care to research
https://www.truthorfiction.com/did-...wn-the-government-to-force-obamacare-in-2013/

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's not working without pay. It's just their regular timing of receiving a paycheck has been temporally altered. Instead of every two weeks, it might be in 30 days or in 60 days. Either way, they will get their FULL paycheck.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
I'm not even going to read some piece that is titled "Pampered Federal Workers".

Yes, some federal workers are worthless drones who would be fired except that it's impossible to do so, but most federal workers are middle income folks who are not pampered in any way. I totally disagree that they don't deserve our sympathy - of course they do. They and their families are caught in political bull####, and it's not right.

In fact, American federal workers deserve our sympathy WAY more than some damn Guatemalan drug dealer using a sick little kid to sneak his way illegally into our country.

:clap::clap::clap:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I think both Sapidus and Trans are paid, fake or whatever the common nomenclature is.

But I don't get your post: I read it twice, it is right wing gibberish. Some bizarre obsession with Obama (which I think we should all grow accostomed to).

You are kidding, right?

black dog

Free America
Some don't seem to understand that this is how the branches of The Federal Government are supposed to work...

BOP

If I may ...

It's not working without pay. It's just their regular timing of receiving a paycheck has been temporally altered. Instead of every two weeks, it might be in 30 days or in 60 days. Either way, they will get their FULL paycheck.

Are rent, mortgages, and bills likewise "temporarily altered"?

Sapidus

If I may ...

Cool. Hopefully your mortgage company will understand when you tell them their due date has been temporarily altered and to not foreclose on you for 30 or 60 days.

Jesus the crap you people come up with to excuse Trumps behavior is truly disgusting.