1 Chronicles 22 $153,450,000,000 Gold

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 22:6 Then he called for his son Solomon and charged him to build a house for the Lord, the God of Israel. 7 David said to Solomon: “My son, I had it in my heart to build a house for the Name of the Lord my God. 8 But this word of the Lord came to me: ‘You have shed much blood and have fought many wars. You are not to build a house for my Name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in my sight. 9 But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest, and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side. His name will be Solomon,[a] and I will grant Israel peace and quiet during his reign. 10 He is the one who will build a house for my Name. He will be my son, and I will be his father. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’

11 “Now, my son, the Lord be with you, and may you have success and build the house of the Lord your God, as he said you would. 12 May the Lord give you discretion and understanding when he puts you in command over Israel, so that you may keep the law of the Lord your God. 13 Then you will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the Lord gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.

14 “I have taken great pains to provide for the temple of the Lord a hundred thousand talents(b) of gold, a million talents[c] of silver, quantities of bronze and iron too great to be weighed, and wood and stone. And you may add to them. 15 You have many workers: stonecutters, masons and carpenters, as well as those skilled in every kind of work 16 in gold and silver, bronze and iron—craftsmen beyond number. Now begin the work, and the Lord be with you.”

17 Then David ordered all the leaders of Israel to help his son Solomon. 18 He said to them, “Is not the Lord your God with you? And has he not granted you rest on every side? For he has given the inhabitants of the land into my hands, and the land is subject to the Lord and to his people. 19 Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the Lord your God. Begin to build the sanctuary of the Lord God, so that you may bring the ark of the covenant of the Lord and the sacred articles belonging to God into the temple that will be built for the Name of the Lord.”​

a. 1 Chronicles 22:9 Solomon sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for peace.
b. 1 Chronicles 22:14 That is, about 3,750 tons or about 3,400 metric tons
c. 1 Chronicles 22:14 That is, about 37,500 tons or about 34,000 metric tons

Wow... now that's a lot of gold and silver. Today, according to Google, one ounce of gold is valued at $1,278.75. There are 16 ounces in a pound and 2,000 pounds in a ton. So the numbers for gold alone..... $1,278.75 X 16 X 2,000 X 3750 = $153,450,000,000. AND that's the gold alone!

This is from the easy English site.

The LORD refused to let David build the temple. The reason was that David was a man of wars. The problem was not just that he fought wars. But David had killed people other than in war such as Uriah (2 Samuel 11:15). He was guilty of cruelty as he was with the soldiers from Moab (2 Samuel 8:2).

We do not know the value of these metals at that time. But it must have been a very large sum.

David had provided a vast quantity of all that the builders would need for the work. But Solomon must add some more. Perhaps David thought that more was necessary. But perhaps David was encouraging Solomon to make the task his own. Solomon would involve himself more in the task if he gave toward it.

David had organised the labour with men skilled in all the trades. This large number of workers was ready to start the work. Therefore, he told Solomon, ‘Get on with it. Build the temple of the LORD. It is what the LORD wants. And he will be with you.’ Solomon could not begin yet. But as soon as he became king, this was his first and most important task.

The ark of God was in the tent that David had prepared for it, in Jerusalem. But the Israelites must bring the ark into the temple. David had already built his altar in the place where the Israelites would build the temple. Many of the holy things were in the tent at Gibeon. They must bring these things into the temple.​

It occurs to me.... David has all the pieces and the plans..... all Solomon has to do is assemble.... it's like a very very expensive lego set! Better yet... a very big and expensive erector set.

I've always known that the murder or Uriah was "the" main reason David wasn't allowed to build the Temple.... but the commentary reminded me [actually instructed me] that there was a dark side to the little shepherd boy... David....

2 Samuel 8:2 David also defeated the Moabites. He made them lie down on the ground and measured them off with a length of cord. Every two lengths of them were put to death, and the third length was allowed to live. So the Moabites became subject to David and brought him tribute.​

See... David could be cruel. Murder got to him. Now that didn't take David out of God's love.... but it did change things. David could only assemble the erector set... I wonder if he numbered each piece too... remember a lot of the parts would have been hand crafted at the harvest site and shipped to David.

What would our leaders today say if David came to them and told them he wanted to spend $153,450,000,000 of the nation's gold on a Temple. Why that just can't be done.... you can't spend public money on a church! There has to be a separation between church and state..... HOWEVER.... David's kingdom wasn't really a kingdom.

David's kingdom was a Theocracy and in a Theocracy God comes first.​

:coffee: