Why Is All of New Zealand Obsessed With This Drunken, Littering, Rowdy Tourist Family?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
To understand why the story of the bad family has absolutely taken over New Zealand, you must know that our economy absolutely depends on the massive amounts of money tourism brings in, yet we actively despise every single tourist who dares to come and enjoy all the stuff we promised was so great. Furthermore, Kiwis cannot abide arrogance. As a nation, we are crippled by a pervasive tall poppy syndrome, which means all our comedy must be deadpan and every one of our heroes is obligated to be taciturn, lest they accidentally let on they’re proud of themselves.

So the bad family is a perfect storm. Yes, littering is bad, and so is weaseling out of paying your bills. But it’s the total lack of remorse this menacing foreign family appears to feel about their actions which has united the public against them.

Just who do they think they are? Well, that’s not entirely clear; no one’s even certain at this point where they’re actually from. Initially, and somewhat bigotedly, witnesses to their trail of destruction referred to the group as Irish travelers, but one family member later claimed in an exclusive interview with local reporter Belinda Feek that they were from Liverpool.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/01/new-zealand-tourists-john-johnson-tina-cash-arrest.html

Ok Cool, they are NOT Americans ......... :killingme

glhs837

Power with Control
No, but we all know they could be. I am laughing at this, I cant help myself.

After all, New Zealanders are polite. We’re obliging. We’re very concerned with what the world thinks of us. Would that we all could march aggressively through life with the bolshy swagger of an angry, shirtless 9-year-old, unafraid to pull the finger at anyone who got in our way. As one friend confessed to me, watching the bad kid shout at Krista Curnow: “I have never in my life had that sort of confidence.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The stereotype is of the badly behaved American traveler, but it hasn't been true for a very long time. Yes, we want toilets that flush and drinking water that won't kill us, but by and large Americans are respectful tourists by any standard and poll. The Chinese are almost always #1, followed closely by Brits. Chinese women, in particular, are terrible tourists and I have seen that first hand many times. Rude arrogant bitches, no wonder their country sucks.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Chinese are almost always #1, followed closely by Brits. Chinese women, in particular, are terrible tourists ...

I don't know about tourists ...
but gamers the norm is cheat often until you get caught get a new account and cheat some more WINNING is the ONLY Thing That MATTERS

they are highly xenophobic [hate everyone but Chinese] ... but it is racist to suggest walling them off onto Chinese ONLY Servers

glhs837

Power with Control
but gamers the norm is cheat often until you get caught get a new account and cheat some more WINNING is the ONLY Thing That MATTERS

they are highly xenophobic [hate everyone but Chinese] ... but it is racist to suggest walling them off onto Chinese ONLY Servers

Walls dont work!!! :)

Hank

my war

Huh? :crazy:

PeoplesElbow

The stereotype is of the badly behaved American traveler, but it hasn't been true for a very long time. Yes, we want toilets that flush and drinking water that won't kill us, but by and large Americans are respectful tourists by any standard and poll. The Chinese are almost always #1, followed closely by Brits. Chinese women, in particular, are terrible tourists and I have seen that first hand many times. Rude arrogant bitches, no wonder their country sucks.

I know a Chinese American that went to the Great Wall of China on vacation and got arrested for attempting to carve his initials in it. While he was an American, his parents raised him as Chinese, poor English, wasn't allowed to date any girl that wasn't Chinese etc.

BOP

I had a close friend years ago...decades, now, who was born in China and raised in New York City. He scoffed at American prejudice. "You guys ain't seen prejudice...Chinese people hate other Chinese people."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know a Chinese American that went to the Great Wall of China on vacation and got arrested for attempting to carve his initials in it. While he was an American, his parents raised him as Chinese, poor English, wasn't allowed to date any girl that wasn't Chinese etc.

When I encounter a Chinese looking woman, I immediately tense up and prepare to stand my ground. When I pleasantly find out that she is an American, I relax because Americans of Chinese heritage are generally lovely.

This is why you can't go by looks - Americans look like the world. When we were in Brownsville the other day it was a mecca for Mexican citizens who do not speak English at all and walk over the border to go shopping. Standing in line for the roached out HEB restroom was a Mexican looking lady with her child, and she began chatting with me in unaccented English - she's from Naples, FL. My daughter-in-law looks Hispanic but is as American as apple pie and doesn't speak a word of Spanish.