seekeroftruth

Proverbs 5:7 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
do not turn aside from what I say.
8 Keep to a path far from her,
do not go near the door of her house,
9 lest you lose your honor to others
and your dignity[a] to one who is cruel,
10 lest strangers feast on your wealth
and your toil enrich the house of another.
11 At the end of your life you will groan,
when your flesh and body are spent.
12 You will say, “How I hated discipline!
How my heart spurned correction!
13 I would not obey my teachers
or turn my ear to my instructors.
14 And I was soon in serious trouble
in the assembly of God’s people.”​

a. Proverbs 5:9 Or years

So he was stung.... thought so....

All of this is from the easy English site. It was really preachy this morning.... so a lot of preachy stuff wasn't pasted here.

Solomon advises that his son should not even meet the married woman. Solomon’s son must be very careful. He should not enter her house. He should not even walk near her door.

If the son walks near her door, then he might enter. If he enters, he might listen to her. Her speech is attractive. She will tempt him. If he listens to her, he might want to have sex with her.

Solomon’s father, David, had a similar experience (2 Samuel 11-12). From a distance, he saw a beautiful woman. She was having a bath, naked.

David did not look away. If he had looked away, he would have avoided many troubles.

Later, David and the same woman had another son. This second son was Solomon, who wrote the Book of Proverbs.

A young man should not waste his strength with another man’s wife. He should use his strength wisely. When he marries, perhaps he will have his own family.

Solomon warns his son. He explains what will happen to a foolish son. The son will become an old man one day. Then the son will ask himself what his life achieved. He will see that he achieved nothing. He ruined his life, because he did not serve God. Instead, the foolish son served his emotions and desires. He wasted his energy on cruel people. His strength brought wealth to another man’s home.

I don't know about your family... but my family is full of blamers. They blame their shortcomings on everyone else in the family. If my great great whatever grandfather had been a drunk... they would have blamed him for causing all their ills by being a lush. If my great great whatever grandfather was a Primitive Baptist preacher... then they would have blamed him for causing all their ills by being too good.

I like that these verses actually make the reader [or Solomon's sons as written] to take some responsibility for what they did. In verse 11 it says.... "At the end of your life you will groan"..... Let me tell you... this is a truth! I have groaned over so many idiotic things I've done over the past six decades. I don't groan so much over all the big decisions I made. I hate them but it's not the same thing.... it's the little idiotic things I did... things I wish I could take back because they make me look really stupid. There was the time I took in a homeless person and they had a buddy back up a truck at my apartment and empty it out... while I was at work. Or the time I went down to the Baltimore Block to attend a "church service" with my ex-husband. That idiotic move is still causing me grief.

I just keep thinking... when did Solomon have time to write down anything with 700 wives and 300 concubines?

:coffee: