When affirmative action isn't enough

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I think the DNC has a new keynote speaker for their 2020 convention. MLK would be so proud of you, I'm sure.

Meanwhile black on black crime, black dropout rates and black unwed pregnancy rate about 70% doesn't have anything to do with minority underachievement in the US. Toss in a culture and music that degrades women and promotes violence for good measure.

[FONT=&quot]A [/FONT]University of Georgia[FONT=&quot] teaching assistant who routinely attacks the concept of “whiteness” on social media took it a step further Wednesday when he declared that “some white people may have to die” in order for black people to advance.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Some white people may have to die for black communities to be made whole in this struggle to advance to freedom,” UGA philosophy TA and Ph.D. student Irami Osei-Frimpong wrote in a now-deleted comment on the Overheard at UGA Facebook page, Campus Reform reported.[/FONT]
Mr. Osei-Frimpong[FONT=&quot] doubled down on the comment Friday morning on his own Facebook page, writing, “I’m just saying that America is set up to create functional White supremacists, and they have an attachment to it that’s not particularly moral. I wouldn’t be surprised if White people have to die before Black Americans can live in freedom.”[/FONT]

an educated bigot

Hijinx

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I think the DNC has a new keynote speaker for their 2020 convention. MLK would be so proud of you, I'm sure.

Meanwhile black on black crime, black dropout rates and black unwed pregnancy rate about 70% doesn't have anything to do with minority underachievement in the US. Toss in a culture and music that degrades women and promotes violence for good measure.

an educated bigot

Just keep reminding yourself that Black people cannot be racist.

If that isn't the biggest load of horse dung ever passed out I don't know what is.

SamSpade

Just keep reminding yourself that Black people cannot be racist.

If that isn't the biggest load of horse dung ever passed out I don't know what is.

By the definition they use - they are correct. They use racism to describe a systemic, across the board
problem where one group has power over another, and abuses it. Hence, while a black person may say
something incredibly bigoted, as a group they don't possess the power to implement it, culturally.

Now - the rest of us generally use the word to mean grossly or even mildly prejudicial to someone
on the basis of race. I generally excuse the kind of racism that exists because a person is ignorant or
otherwise unaware. You might experience a twinge of fear or racial prejudice when you see a group
of hoodied black youths walking down your street, but I compare that kind of reaction to your terror
at experiencing a half dozen tarantulas crawling up your arm which have absolutely zero capability of
harming you (unless you're like, allergic).

It's why I generally use the words "bigot" or "prejudiced". They don't have the cultural power that
the pejorative "racist" connotes, but there's no wiggle room in it. THIS kind of behavior, I've experienced
countless times, especially in large urban areas where my race is in the minority.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hence, while a black person may say
something incredibly bigoted, as a group they don't possess the power to implement it, culturally.

Indeed they do. Look at our political culture. Look at the hate spewed regularly and unchallenged toward whites by black activists. Look at the "hate crimes" that only black people can be victims of.

SamSpade

Indeed they do. Look at our political culture. Look at the hate spewed regularly and unchallenged toward whites by black activists. Look at the "hate crimes" that only black people can be victims of.

But not as a society, which is what they're claiming. Remember, we once had a culture where such racism was tolerated and commonplace.
Hence we celebrate the first black college basketball teams - the first black baseball players - and the first black Supreme Court Justice.
This is because society itself was prejudiced. Believe me, there were black folks back in those days who DID want to kill whitey. Period.
And would have turned the tables if they could. Individuals can be bigoted - but racism - as they are defining it - is societal.

I can go to DC or Baltimore and have someone who is black mistreat me because I'm white - but that is a PERSON. It would be a racial
thing if I were to go to a city and find I couldn't get a job or buy a home, because people wouldn't let me and the laws let them do it,
or if a cop pulled me over for no really good reason, and I had no appeal to make.

See, you and I probably use racism to describe people, and that is also the way it is used by people of color - but when they make
the statement that they cannot be racist, it's partly excusing bad behavior, but the leadership means that society is that way, not people.
We use the term in a way that makes sense to us - judging based on race, usually negatively. Trust me, I've been on the receiving end
of bigotry, but I've never sensed that I was helpless in the larger picture to do anything about it. If I tried to buy a pair of shoes in PG
County, and the clerk sneered at me and pretended that I didn't exist, while laughing as I left the store - I know I can just go down the
street. That's bigotry - but I have choices I can make. Real racism is when you can't.

Unfortunately, the term racist is SO overused as to completely erase the meaning when it is real. When someone can call a harmless
word "racist" - or a LOOK "racist" - or a WALL "racist" - they have no concept of the idea. They are either projecting their feelings onto
other things, or they've just never really been there.

Smokey1

But not as a society, which is what they're claiming. Remember, we once had a culture where such racism was tolerated and commonplace.
Hence we celebrate the first black college basketball teams - the first black baseball players - and the first black Supreme Court Justice.
This is because society itself was prejudiced. Believe me, there were black folks back in those days who DID want to kill whitey. Period.
And would have turned the tables if they could. Individuals can be bigoted - but racism - as they are defining it - is societal.

I can go to DC or Baltimore and have someone who is black mistreat me because I'm white - but that is a PERSON. It would be a racial
thing if I were to go to a city and find I couldn't get a job or buy a home, because people wouldn't let me and the laws let them do it,
or if a cop pulled me over for no really good reason, and I had no appeal to make.

See, you and I probably use racism to describe people, and that is also the way it is used by people of color - but when they make
the statement that they cannot be racist, it's partly excusing bad behavior, but the leadership means that society is that way, not people.
We use the term in a way that makes sense to us - judging based on race, usually negatively. Trust me, I've been on the receiving end
of bigotry, but I've never sensed that I was helpless in the larger picture to do anything about it. If I tried to buy a pair of shoes in PG
County, and the clerk sneered at me and pretended that I didn't exist, while laughing as I left the store - I know I can just go down the
street. That's bigotry - but I have choices I can make. Real racism is when you can't.

Unfortunately, the term racist is SO overused as to completely erase the meaning when it is real. When someone can call a harmless
word "racist" - or a LOOK "racist" - or a WALL "racist" - they have no concept of the idea. They are either projecting their feelings onto

Sounds like you don't know the actual definition of racism either. You only want to look at meaning #2 but minorities can certainly be guilty of #1 and #3.

racism[rey-siz-uh m]
noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism

SamSpade

Sounds like you don't know the actual definition of racism either. You only want to look at meaning #2 but minorities can certainly be guilty of #1 and #3.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism

(sigh)

Do you really think I'd write all that without looking?
I am not trying to write for the dictionary - I am trying to explain what someone means when they make
the statement " a black person cannot be racist".

THAT being the case - if someone you are talking to uses a different meaning of the word - you can't
make progress in communication unless you use their definitions. Hence, when people use the word
"diverse" - they very often mean "racially diverse" when the word itself just means having a lot of
variety. So when someone asks how I feel about diversity in the workplace, I don't react snarkily
and say we should use Unix AND Windows. I know what they MEAN.

Hence - I use the word "bigot" to describe what others are saying as "racist" because society
doesn't afford it any wiggle room. When you say bigot, people don't create new meanings for it.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
(sigh)

Do you really think I'd write all that without looking?
I am not trying to write for the dictionary - I am trying to explain what someone means when they make
the statement " a black person cannot be racist".

THAT being the case - if someone you are talking to uses a different meaning of the word - you can't
make progress in communication unless you use their definitions. Hence, when people use the word
"diverse" - they very often mean "racially diverse" when the word itself just means having a lot of
variety. So when someone asks how I feel about diversity in the workplace, I don't react snarkily
and say we should use Unix AND Windows. I know what they MEAN.

Hence - I use the word "bigot" to describe what others are saying as "racist" because society
doesn't afford it any wiggle room. When you say bigot, people don't create new meanings for it.

So you have fallen right into the trap of Saul Alinksy's teachings? "Say, Do one thing and mean another", all for the good of our agenda. This surprises me. I usually agree with your posts.

Hijinx

Perhaps at one time you are correct, that blacks held no power over whites.
That is no longer true. The cities you mentioned Baltimore and Washington are good examples. as is Atlanta and other cities where blacks do carry power.
Look at the powers of the CBC,even the name Black Congressional caucus is racist.
We had a black President who appointed blacks in his cabinet who were incompetent , and look how they destroyed the Justice department.

Watching blacks in power and how they treat whites tells the mistakeness of your statement that they have no power, and cannot be racist.
Perhaps it was once true but no longer.

SamSpade

So you have fallen right into the trap of Saul Alinksy's teachings? "Say, Do one thing and mean another", all for the good of our agenda. This surprises me. I usually agree with your posts.

????
Have you been paying attention?

What does it mean to you when someone says "do your support a woman's right to choose?".
What does it mean to you when someone asks how you feel about "climate change"?

Do you answer them that, in plain English, you support a woman's right to vote as they please,
to marry whom they want, pick their own career, or do whatever they want because they have
freedom - or do you answer on the issue of *ABORTION*, because it is what they are talking about?
Do you answer them "of course climate changes! When doesn't it change?" or do you give them
your opinion on whether or not the release of greenhouse gases by man adversely affects the
climate and what we should do about it?

Yes, we live in a world where words do mean something different to different people.
To the person who says a black man cannot be racist, what they're saying is, we don't live in
a culture that historically has let blacks make the rules of society.

And by that definition, they're correct. We live in a world where on a small scale a white
person can experience bigotry, but it's not systemic, and it is certainly not historically accurate.
I know of no time in modern history where blacks held power enough to enshrine racism into
the culture.

Smokey1

????
Have you been paying attention?

What does it mean to you when someone says "do your support a woman's right to choose?".
What does it mean to you when someone asks how you feel about "climate change"?

Do you answer them that, in plain English, you support a woman's right to vote as they please,
to marry whom they want, pick their own career, or do whatever they want because they have
freedom - or do you answer on the issue of *ABORTION*, because it is what they are talking about?
Do you answer them "of course climate changes! When doesn't it change?" or do you give them
your opinion on whether or not the release of greenhouse gases by man adversely affects the

Yes, we live in a world where words do mean something different to different people.
To the person who says a black man cannot be racist, what they're saying is, we don't live in
a culture that historically has let blacks make the rules of society.

And by that definition, they're correct. We live in a world where on a small scale a white
person can experience bigotry, but it's not systemic, and it is certainly not historically accurate.
I know of no time in modern history where blacks held power enough to enshrine racism into
the culture

Then I take it if you are indeed white that you never tried to get a job with the PG County Government.

SamSpade

Then I take it if you are indeed white that you never tried to get a job with the PG County Government.

You mean, I've never been discriminated against, by someone of another race?
I've made abundantly clear in this thread that I have, many times.
Being able to exhibit racism in a small part of a nation is not the same as systemic
racism, that pervades everything - books, commercials, TV shows, music,
jobs, police interaction and so forth.

We've all been discriminated against. If you never have, you've lived in a bubble.
That's not racism anymore than a rude remark is sexism.

Smokey1

You mean, I've never been discriminated against, by someone of another race?
I've made abundantly clear in this thread that I have, many times.
Being able to exhibit racism in a small part of a nation is not the same as systemic
racism, that pervades everything - books, commercials, TV shows, music,
jobs, police interaction and so forth.

We've all been discriminated against. If you never have, you've lived in a bubble.
That's not racism anymore than a rude remark is sexism.

Words do have specific meanings and if we are going to effectively communicate with one another we have to have a set definition for key words like racism. That is why we have dictionaries. Racism as defined in the dictionary can be and has been practiced by people of all races including minorities in this country. Minorities have been guilty of meanings #1 and #3 even if you want excuse them for not having total power in this country for meaning #2.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

????

Nope. I ask them how we are going to stop 97% of the earth's pollution, green house gases, coming from the earth herself. Volcanoes, undersea fissures, natural forest fires, etc..

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there are no legal oppressors in the twenty-first century. Therefore, racism is whenever anyone gets an advantage due to race.

Racism, or discrimination, has been codified into our laws, Federal and State, through affirmative action schemes, and government contract bidding. Funny though, it is such a contradiction when the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is a federal agency that administers and enforces civil rights laws against workplace discrimination. Except when racism and discrimination is done through the guise of affirmative action.