Deer carcass in my driveway

pbotz

My father in law hunts and i ask him about this situation often. He said often a good ammount of the meat is damged and unusable from the impact. That being said you may have a hard time finding someone interested to take this for the meat. You may want to look into contacting DNR or whoever is responsible for removing the animals off public roadways.

Grumpy

My father in law hunts and i ask him about this situation often. He said often a good ammount of the meat is damged and unusable from the impact. That being said you may have a hard time finding someone interested to take this for the meat. You may want to look into contacting DNR or whoever is responsible for removing the animals off public roadways.

Had a deer die in my yard once, wife called DNR to ask about removal, was told it's in your yard, its your deer.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Had a deer die in my yard once, wife called DNR to ask about removal, was told it's in your yard, its your deer.

Yep, same with us. Deer died behind our fence near the woodline. DNR told us to just haul it further into the woods and the scavengers would take care of the rest.

transporter

So a car hit a deer. It died in my driveway. Any one know anyone who would want it? Near bensville park.

I saw two stories on the internet about this:

1. A claim that the deer was wearing a MAGA hat and the car had a Hillary 2016 bumper sticker.

2. A claim that the deer had a suicide note pinned to it. The note claimed the deer just couldn't take another day of the Trump administration.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

1. A claim that the deer was wearing a MAGA hat and the car had a Hillary 2016 bumper sticker.

2. A claim that the deer had a suicide note pinned to it. The note claimed the deer just couldn't take another day of the Trump administration.

It’s nice to see you try a shot at humor and not be condescending.....now if a bunch of you libprogs would adhere to #2 life would be Grand

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Naw, not at all. Just use the meat for making jerky. As cold as it is, the meat won't spoil. Skin and hang for a bit in a tree, then make some jerky strips, marinate, then put in a dehydrator. Oregon just made made it legal to take road kill and eat it. In Maryland it is legal as well. Just need a permit. Don't let it go to waste.

General Lee

If I may ...

Naw, not at all. Just use the meat for making jerky. As cold as it is, the meat won't spoil. Skin and hang for a bit in a tree, then make some jerky strips, marinate, then put in a dehydrator. Oregon just made made it legal to take road kill and eat it. In Maryland it is legal as well. Just need a permit. Don't let it go to waste.

If the impact was severe enough to blow open the gut and intestines......nope, let it lay. Especially if you don't know how long its been dead. Cold weather or not.

Chris0nllyn

If the impact was severe enough to blow open the gut and intestines......nope, let it lay. Especially if you don't know how long its been dead. Cold weather or not.

And you don't need a permit to pick up road kill. You only need a DNR confirmation number if you plan on taking it to get butchered and DNR will give you one if you call. It won't go against your season limit.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

I heard this deer had some dirt on the Klintons. Something about contributions to the foundation.

BOP

Nice attempt at humor. You suck at it, but by gawd, you're trying!

DannyMotorcycle

i think most of the injury is to the head but..

i thought surely someone here would know someone. it's within 6 feet of the road so i think it's md state property (even though in charles county)

i'm kind of surprised the birds haven't had at it yet..

i'm debating if i want to drag it ot the other side of the street to the shoulder where the park is..

i'll just call state of md to come get the road kill.. since no one knows anyone that wants it.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
i think most of the injury is to the head but..

i thought surely someone here would know someone. it's within 6 feet of the road so i think it's md state property (even though in charles county)

i'm kind of surprised the birds haven't had at it yet..

i'm debating if i want to drag it ot the other side of the street to the shoulder where the park is..

i'll just call state of md to come get the road kill.. since no one knows anyone that wants it.

Why didn’t you harvest the meat? I am assuming you are not a hunter. It would be fresh since you found it in your yard, and definitely frozen enough. My dad and bros used to make a great venison stew.

Last edited:

DannyMotorcycle

Yes i'm not a hunter.. it happened around 3 pm. car hit it and it's head hit my recycling trash can.. been well refrigerated outside since. I've never even tasted deer meat..
hmm i might have had jerky once at a gun show.. that does sound familiar.. but anyway..

I'd even be a vegetarian or vegan except the way my stomach, taste buds, and people around me are set up.. but if i had a vegan girlfriend i could totally do it..

i mean i could eat pb&j all my life without a problem. hmm i should go make one now. But still though, shame it will go to waste. *shrug*

Last edited:

Hannibal

Don't harvest an unknown road kill deer unless you or someone you trust can speak to its condition (when hit, condition BEFORE hit). For all you know, that deer was F'd up before hand (physically or even sick) and simply wondered into the road and got struck. When in doubt, skip it. Not worth the few bucks you'd net over store bought.

And if its CLOSE to the road, drag it CLOSER to the road. County/SHA will come pick it up as part of their maintenance.

General Lee

Don't harvest an unknown road kill deer unless you or someone you trust can speak to its condition (when hit, condition BEFORE hit). For all you know, that deer was F'd up before hand (physically or even sick) and simply wondered into the road and got struck. When in doubt, skip it. Not worth the few bucks you'd net over store bought.

And if its CLOSE to the road, drag it CLOSER to the road. County/SHA will come pick it up as part of their maintenance.

Sound advice right there.