Voter Guide

I, by no means, follow politics enough to be in this section of the forums but I just received this as a email and wanted to know if this is true. I want to vote this election year but honestly don't really have enough information broken down for me to really base my opinion on..

2004 Election Voter Guide
>
> Depending on the way you lean, the following information
> could have a bearing on decisions you make in
> November 2004.
>
> Issues of Importance = *
>
> * Gay Marriage:
> President Bush is opposed.
> John Kerry favors.
>
> * Partial-Birth Abortion:
> John Kerry favors.
>
> * Restoring voluntary prayer in the public schools:
> President Bush Favors.
> John Kerry is Opposed.
>
> * Mel Gibson &the making of a film about Christ:
> President Bush supports Gibson.
> John Kerry participated in Left's assault on Gibson, suggesting
possible
> anti-Semitism even
> though Kerry had not seen the film.
>
> * Boy Scouts' belief in God and not allowing
> Homosexual Scout Leaders:
> President Bush supports Boy Scouts' stand.
> John Kerry opposes boy Scouts' stand.
>
> * Asking for God's blessing on America:
> President Bush often asks God to bless America in his speeches.
> John Kerry attacks Bush for mentioning God so often.
>
> * Judges:
> President bush says "We need common-sense judges who believe our
rights
> are derived from God."
> John Kerry insists on judges who support the ACLU's radical
> anti-Christian, anti-God, anti-family agenda.
> John Kerry is insistent on blocking President Bush's
> federal judge appointments.
>
> * Overall Record:
> President Bush does not vote on issues before Congress
> but, based on his publicly stated positions, would
> receive an 85% conservative rating.
> John Kerry, according to the highly respected,
> politically-neutral National Journal,
> rates Kerry the most liberal U. S. Senator in 2003 -
> - more liberal than Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton.
>
> With help from you and many others, we hope to
> distribute 25 ,000,000 copies of this Voter information across the
> United States.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
workin hard said:
I, by no means, follow politics enough to be in the section of the forums but I just received this as a email and wanted to know if this is true. I want to vote this election year but honestly don't really have enough information broken down for me to really base my opinion on..

>
> * Gay Marriage:
> John Kerry favors.
>

My take:
Both candidates are opposed to gay marriage. Bush favors a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, but is open to the prospect of states allowing civil unions.

Kerry feels the same way about civil unions, but does not support a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

The other issues... while they *mostly* seem in line with what I know of each man's philosophy... I cannot say with certainty that their stances are that simplified.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
This information is correct as expressed by Bush and Kerry and/or the respective party platforms.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
I forwarded this message to WH along with others. Shouldn't have forwarded it unless I knew for sure if all stated were true. So, along with WH I would like to know the truth as well. I have voted the last couple of years, but still am new at the whole thing and would like to learn more concerning politics.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
My take:
Both candidates are opposed to gay marriage. Bush favors a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, but is open to the prospect of states allowing civil unions.

Kerry feels the same way about civil unions, but does not support a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

The other issues... while they *mostly* seem in line with what I know of each man's philosophy... I cannot say with certainty that their stances are that simplified.
She didn't ask for opinion or "your take". All you have to do is read the party platforms if you can get past the legalese and you can know what the candidate and the party stand for.

For instance the Democrats 2004 Platform states "We will protect Americans' Second Amendment right to own firearms, and we will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists by fighting gun crime, reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, and closing the gun show loophole, as President Bush proposed and failed to do." Sounds good until you get to "reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, and closing the gun show loophole" which violates the Second Amendment. So what they are saying is they will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists by keeping guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Read carefully.

2ndAmendment said:
She didn't ask for opinion or "your take". All you have to do is read the party platforms if you can get past the legalese and you can know what the candidate and the party stand for.

For instance the Democrats 2004 Platform states "We will protect Americans' Second Amendment right to own firearms, and we will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists by fighting gun crime, reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, and closing the gun show loophole, as President Bush proposed and failed to do." Sounds good until you get to "reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, and closing the gun show loophole" which violates the Second Amendment. So what they are saying is they will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists by keeping guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Read carefully.

I have been watching the debates and news also but I think it is the legalese I'm having trouble with and not really know enough about the issues to have a opionin and swing my support one way or another...

T.Rally

Here is another way to look at it:

If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government...then you are a Republican! If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group... then you are a Republican! If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does... then you are a Republican! If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children ... then you are a Republican! If you believe this country, not the United Nations, is the best hope of democracy in the world ... then you are a Republican! And, ladies and gentlemen ...if you believe we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism ... then you are a Republican!

There is another way you can tell you're a Republican. You have faith in free enterprise, faith in the resourcefulness of the American people ...and faith in the U.S. economy.

-Arnold Schwarztenegger(sp?)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pretty biased but true, nonetheless. John Kerry is a liberal and he supports liberal ideology. George Bush is a conservative and he supports conservative ideology.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
2ndAmendment said:

I know she didn't ask for "my take".

But my thinking was that that which was given was too simplified. I vote for candidates, not party platforms, though more often than not they are Republican candidates. I have heard Bush and Kerry comment specifically on those issues, and I was relaying what I heard to WH.

Hope that clarifies.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
I know she didn't ask for "my take".

But my thinking was that that which was given was too simplified. I vote for candidates, not party platforms
Sleuth,
Has anybody every called you an idiot?

SmallTown

Football season!
T.Rally said:
Here is another way to look at it:

If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government...then you are a Republican! If you believe a person should be treated as an individual
I agree. Which makes you wonder why the republicans would want an amendment to ban gay marriage. Seems like the "controlling dems government", they would be the ones calling for such an amendment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
Wow. That's deep.
Thanks! :diva:

But isn't that what it boils down to? John Kerry is a liberal and conservatives think he's an idiot. George Bush is a conservative and liberals thein he's an idiot.

Two ideologies, majority rules. :shrug:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
workin hard said:
I have been watching the debates and news also but I think it is the legalese I'm having trouble with and not really know enough about the issues to have a opionin and swing my support one way or another...
You won't get enough information from the debates or the news. Everything is in "sound bites". You need to go to the www.rnc.org and www.dnc.org and find their platforms and read them carefully (see my illustration in previous post).

I make no bones about it, I am a Constitutionalist. I am far more conservative than the Republicans. Both the Republicans and the Democrats ignore the Constitutional limits on the Federal government. That is the reason this country will eventually fail as all other democracies, republics, kingdoms, and empires have. They ignore that the power of the governing comes from rights yielded by the governed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
I agree. Which makes you wonder why the republicans would want an amendment to ban gay marriage. Seems like the "controlling dems government", they would be the ones calling for such an amendment.
One would think.

I suspect Bush knew that proposed amendment wasn't going to make it past Congress and he just put it out there to pander to his Christian base.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Pretty biased but true, nonetheless. John Kerry is a liberal and he supports liberal ideology. George Bush is a conservative and he supports conservative ideology.

:yikes: Vria we have actually agreed on something concerning politics :yikes:

:rushestocalendar:

:drama:

Last edited by a moderator:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I make no secret about being Christian, but I do not believe there should be a "marriage amendment" as long as activist Federal judges don't try to use the "equal protection clause" (which does not exist) to force other states to recognize homosexual unions. But, unfortunately, that is exactly what will happen. Vocal minorities have found they can use the court system to force their way on the majority. While I think minorities have the right to express their opinion, I think we should still be a country of majority rule. We are rapidly becoming a country of majority suppression and minority imposition.

I'm registered undecided but for this election I am actually siding with Bush and I think he as done well over the past 4 years. The only thing that I really don't agree with him on is abortion.
I don't know what it is about Kerry except for the the fact that he appears untrustworthy.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
workin hard said:
I don't know what it is about Kerry except for the the fact that he appears untrustworthy.
Master of the "Cheshire cat" smile, both he and Edwards.