Now what are you burning?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Okay, here is my issue, burning yard waste and trash. Why do people think it is necessary to burn every bit of flammable waste they find around their house? I have one neighbor who burns his trash in his burn barrel, another who tries to burn his grass clippings and another who will burn anything flammable. This four house section of our street goes; pyro, pyro, me, pyro. A couple of the families have just moved off the farm and I figure they do not know how act in a neighborhood setting. My wife and I both were born and raised in St. Mary's county but our families never felt the need to burn anything but firewood. The thing that really aggravates me is that they choose to burn on nice days when you want to have your house open. I could call the FIre Board, but 2 of the 4 neighbors are in the fire dept, so you know the good ol boy connection would be in full effect. :burning:

Christy

b*tch rocket
kom526 said:
Okay, here is my issue, burning yard waste and trash. Why do people think it is necessary to burn every bit of flammable waste they find around their house? I have one neighbor who burns his trash in his burn barrel, another who tries to burn his grass clippings and another who will burn anything flammable. This four house section of our street goes; pyro, pyro, me, pyro. A couple of the families have just moved off the farm and I figure they do not know how act in a neighborhood setting. My wife and I both were born and raised in St. Mary's county but our families never felt the need to burn anything but firewood. The thing that really aggravates me is that they choose to burn on nice days when you want to have your house open. I could call the FIre Board, but 2 of the 4 neighbors are in the fire dept, so you know the good ol boy connection would be in full effect. :burning:

Hmmmm, 3 out of 4 burn, you are the oddity. Move to the city? :shrug: Buy a condo? :shrug: Why does it bother you so much? I think in the general scheme of life, the smell of burn barrels is trivial. JMHO

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd much prefer my neighbor's burn their trash than contribute to the landfill problem.

DID YOU KNOW that landfills aren't a very good environment for trash to break down? Everything gets so compacted that oxygen and moisture aren't plentiful enough to facilitate the decomposing process. There have been newspapers found in landfills that were perfectly readable - with a 40 year old date on the masthead.

Burn, baby, burn. :yay:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
Burn, baby, burn. :yay:

:yeahthat: I think someone told me if you distribute the ashes into your yard, it increases the soil quality as well. I'd be burning too if I could figure out where to get a burning can. :yay: Better that a few folks here and there do it themselves vs plant some big incinerator in your back yard to ogle over. :really:

CMC122

Go Braves!
kom526 said:
:duh:

A. I believe it's perfectly legal to open burn in St. Mary's as long as a burn ban isn't in place. How does that make it a "good ol boy connection"?

B. Would you prefer they open burned on windy day's :confused:

kom526

I'll tell you what, YOU come and live here open all the windows in your house and have someone burn a weeks worth of garbage including plastics and get that lovely smell in your house.

As far as the good ol boy connection, do you think the guy on the fire board is going to come down hard on his cousin, brother in law softball buddy as hard as he would someone he did not know?

To the best of my knowledge you need to have a permit for open burning, and you can only burn during certain hours.

I would prefer that they did not burn at all, I compost all of my yard waste, and recycle what I can.

CMC122

Go Braves!
kom526 said:
I'll tell you what, YOU come and live here open all the windows in your house and have someone burn a weeks worth of garbage including plastics and get that lovely smell in your house.

As far as the good ol boy connection, do you think the guy on the fire board is going to come down hard on his cousin, brother in law softball buddy as hard as he would someone he did not know?

To the best of my knowledge you need to have a permit for open burning, and you can only burn during certain hours.

I would prefer that they did not burn at all, I compost all of my yard waste, and recycle what I can.
Maybe I'm your neighbor:shrug:

sunflower

Loving My Life...
kom526 said:

I dont mind people burning stuff but when they let it smolder sp? thats a pain in the azz on days when your windows are open or when you decide to hang your clothes on the line!!! JMO

KCM

Right Where I Belong
crabcake said:
:yeahthat: I think someone told me if you distribute the ashes into your yard, it increases the soil quality as well. I'd be burning too if I could figure out where to get a burning can. :yay: Better that a few folks here and there do it themselves vs plant some big incinerator in your back yard to ogle over. :really:

CC we burned our trash when I lived with my mom. She would then take the ashes and spread it in the area where her garden's would be (she did this in the fall). Come springtime she had some of the richest soil around. She just made sure she mixed the ashes in the soil really well.

PrepH4U

Christy said:
Hmmmm, 3 out of 4 burn, you are the oddity. Move to the city? :shrug: Buy a condo? :shrug: Why does it bother you so much? I think in the general scheme of life, the smell of burn barrels is trivial. JMHO
I agree! They should have researched the rules for the 4 house neighborhood to see if they allowed trash burning if it bothers them so much!
What about open windows and barking dogs, loud car mufflers, the smell of other peoples cooking? How about kids playing in their yard and making noise? yada yada yada
Probably would complain if they moved next to a farm and the smells that come from that!
Burning in trash barrels even in town limits is legal unless a HOA has rules against it (it is a contained fire). So it has nothing to do with the good ole boy connection nor does it fall under the open burning times that are set to allow most of the volunteer firemen to be off of work.

Hessian

I sympathize totally with the "Burn everything imaginable & stink up the neighborhood" routine: I can't believe that household plastics, styrofoam, insulation, rubber etc is good "for the garden."

Mind you I enjoy a nice Fall day leaf burning pile but I can't imagine people spreading cancerous stuff in their gardens or inhalling it for a few hours.
Start off by asking nicely...see where it goes from there.
(Get a list of all the toxins in household trash and print it up as a flyer...?)

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
kom526 said:

come compost my crap and I won't burn (except my financials in the chiminea). :yay:

kom526

There is no HOA in our neighborhood, if you could and would read my original post you see the phrase, "our section of the street." My wife and I both have lived on farms so there goes that theory, besides did I say ANYTHING about routine neighborhood activities? Nope, I sure didn't. I only said one of my neighbors have a burn barrel the other two do open burnings.

John Z

if you will
My next door neighbor likes to have a burn pile going when he's out in the yard. I think it is just a cultural thing around here, like commuting to work in your F-350 Diesel Dually full of tools.

Personally, I haven't caught the burn pile craze yet. Part of it is the fact that I don't have a nice open area to burn my twigs yet, due to many trees. All the twigs and leaves I just haul into the "woods" and let them decompose naturally.

Burning doesn't bother me usually. Sometimes though, I can agree with kom526. Burning yard waste is fine, but burning plastic is nastacular. Don't friggin' burn plastic, people. Sometimes my neighbor will have his ole' burn pile going, and I'm washing the car. When ashes start falling on the car while I'm trying to dry it off, I am a little unhappy. And when I was renting a house in Waldorf several years back, our neighbors loved to burn their leaves in the fall. Fine, but they burned it in several piles in the general area where the leaves happend to be raked together. One such pile was between our houses, which were only 20 feet apart. That was a little scary. I was happy to get away from those redneckersons. :lol: