Will you decide who to vote for based on televised debates?

barefootduchess

Please tell me you know more about the issues than what is revealed by such an
event. What we are subjected to via these "samplings" is a conglomerate product of sight, sound, and fancy. We SEE the candidates the way they wish to be perceived; commanding and controlled. We HEAR them using practiced voices of conviction and confidence. They are advised comprehensively on posture, carriage, facial expression, oratorical eloquence.
The objective of these debates is met, of course, by the evenings' shows. We are familiarized with Appearances.
That is ALL.
Please don't decide who to vote for based on a lot of talk. Check voting records. Learn about congressional proposals. Find out who Walks like he Talks.
and Remember...we are watching partisan politics in action. Comments are designed to either support or mislead. Regardless of what your guy says or does, he is Brilliant. The forces that manage political campaigns don't care about Substance. They are projecting Image and get paid to sell a product.

WE have to be smarter than they think we are. We need to read, study, and think for ourselves.

I am a convicted Bush supporter.
I didn't think he would do so well in televised debate with John Kerry. I was trusting that his sincerity and integrity would be evident as confrontation progressed.
Smooth talk and suave manner are highly desirable social gifts........Let's all cultivate such in our children. In my President...I hope for a highly-developed sense of Responsibility and Courage.
I'm proud of a president whom I believe to be an honest, caring man, one who has wisely surrounded himself with highly-competent advisors, and who is inspired by the commonality of humankind in his efforts to bring peace and
freedom to a troubled world.

One vote here for Bush/Cheney.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
barefootduchess said:
event. What we are subjected to via these "samplings" is a conglomerate product of sight, sound, and fancy. We SEE the candidates the way they wish to be perceived; commanding and controlled. We HEAR them using practiced voices of conviction and confidence. They are advised comprehensively on posture, carriage, facial expression, oratorical eloquence.
The objective of these debates is met, of course, by the evenings' shows. We are familiarized with Appearances.
That is ALL.
Please don't decide who to vote for based on a lot of talk. Check voting records. Learn about congressional proposals. Find out who Walks like he Talks.
and Remember...we are watching partisan politics in action. Comments are designed to either support or mislead. Regardless of what your guy says or does, he is Brilliant. The forces that manage political campaigns don't care about Substance. They are projecting Image and get paid to sell a product.

WE have to be smarter than they think we are. We need to read, study, and think for ourselves.

I didn't think he would do so well in televised debate with John Kerry. I was trusting that his sincerity and integrity would be evident as confrontation progressed.
Smooth talk and suave manner are highly desirable social gifts........Let's all cultivate such in our children. In my President...I hope for a highly-developed sense of Responsibility and Courage.
I'm proud of a president whom I believe to be an honest, caring man, one who has wisely surrounded himself with highly-competent advisors, and who is inspired by the commonality of humankind in his efforts to bring peace and

Hmmm, what are you wearing?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
barefootduchess said:
:yikes: :lol:

Welcome to the forums, Duchess. And no, debates didn't help me decide who to vote for. I already knew enough to make the decision.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:flowers: Please, welcome to the forums, I was only jesting, conjuring up the image of a barefootduchess.

You will find it, no doubt, rather conservative in these parts, if you'll pardon my expression.

You go for it, sister!

Bush/Cheney all the way.

Kerry/Edwards and the words "Oval Office" are not a compatible set of ideas.

B

Bruzilla

I doubt the highly scripted and polished debates that we have today sway any voters. The only reason that we have them is because to not have them leads people to wonder why. A candidate can come out and say exactly what you did about the process, with the same amount of conviction, and the press and his opponent will say "What! Why won't he/she debate? What are they afraid of?" So they keep pretending to debate and we keep pretending that it's important.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Let's put it this way: I feel G.W. Bush will not waver, will not bend to the unfavorable opinions of others who do not have the stomach to stay this perilous course.

It's not an easy road; it hasn't been, and it will not be one for the faint of heart. The defeat of terrorism isn't like a conventional conflict. There probably will not be a clear victory, like we saw in WWII, or even the Gulf War of 1991, or other wars this country has been involved with.

But I'd rather have him at the helm of this country to see it through, more than any other candidate. Some see him as a "cowboy", I see him as a man who you've underestimated, misunderstood, and one you should never have crossed swords with.

As long as he is at the leadership of the United States, and it's allies, we will bring these people to justice, disarm them, or destroy them before they can harm us.

That, I believe, is his goal.

SmallTown

Football season!
barefootduchess said:
That is ALL.

I heard a bunch of similar comments after the first debate, but none after the 2nd. What, you don't think Bush can handle 2 good debates in a row and already starting to make excuses? :loser:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
barefootduchess said:
In my President...I hope for a highly-developed sense of Responsibility and Courage.
I'm proud of a president whom I believe to be an honest, caring man, one who has wisely surrounded himself with highly-competent advisors, and who is inspired by the commonality of humankind in his efforts to bring peace and freedom to a troubled world.
I would add one other attribute that was deemed most important by the founders, lacking in our last President and President Bush seems to have, morality. I do not observe that in Kerry.

SamSpade

Chasey_Lane said:
Is that before or after his DUI? :snacks:
Morality is a measure of principle and character, not perfection. It's the compass that guides someone's life. It would pointless to even have such a word in our vocabulary if it could only be applied to people who never did anything wrong, even if it was thirty years ago.

I don't think Kerry is IM-moral, but he seems more prone to succumbing to political expediency than to his beliefs. His lack of strong personal convictions is arguably his biggest weakness.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
SamSpade said:
Morality is a measure of principle and character, not perfection. It's the compass that guides someone's life. It would pointless to even have such a word in our vocabulary if it could only be applied to people who never did anything wrong, even if it was thirty years ago.

I don't think Kerry is IM-moral, but he seems more prone to succumbing to political expediency than to his beliefs. His lack of strong personal convictions is arguably his biggest weakness.
Thank you for stating your opinion. :peace:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
SmallTown said:
So as long as you discuss it, it is ok? Damn. if that's the case, Clinton's next job must be as a priest.
Clinton's next job should be as the Running Man.

Spoiled

Kerry dominates bush in the debates, it just shows how much more charismatic he is (though you pubs would argue "well kerry isnt as personable")... I would want someone who can articulate themselves representing me over a man who talks about the internets....

I had my mind made up before i started posting here

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Spoiled said:
Kerry dominates bush in the debates, it just shows how much more charismatic he is (though you pubs would argue "well kerry isnt as personable")... I would want someone who can articulate themselves representing me over a man who talks about the internets....

I had my mind made up before i started posting here
And I would rather have a person of action over a person of articulation and charisma. If leading is nothing more than sound bites then I guess Kerry would be the choice. Fortunately, there are only a few people that base an important choice such as this on presentation versus action.