My gecko won't eat his crickets..

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
My baby gecko is refusing to eat his crickets...this has been going on for about one day...I made an appt for the vet for today...has anyone else had this problem? He killed the last cricket that was put in his cage but he refuses to eat it.

Bogart

Are they too big? Did you pinch the jumpers off? Are the crickets gut-loaded first? Is his environment warm enough? What kind of gecko?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Bogart said:
Are they too big? Did you pinch the jumpers off? Are the crickets gut-loaded first? Is his environment warm enough? What kind of gecko?

YOU GO, BOGIE!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
maxima87 said:
My baby gecko is refusing to eat his crickets...this has been going on for about one day...I made an appt for the vet for today...has anyone else had this problem? He killed the last cricket that was put in his cage but he refuses to eat it.
It's not gecko... It's GEICO!!! :groaner:

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Bogart said:

They are small crickets...the pet store in Jacksonville didn't say anything about pinching the jumpers off...he wasn't having a problem catchin/killing/eating them before. And as far as I know the crickets have guts...when I stepped on one it crunched. He is in a glass cage and he has a heated rock, and we have a heating pad under half his cage. He has an appointment at 4:30 at the Lex Pk Vet Hospital. Has anyone been there before?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
maxima87 said:
He has an appointment at 4:30 at the Lex Pk Vet Hospital. Has anyone been there before?

You mean St. Mary's Vet Hospital? They're excellent. :yay:

Bogart

maxima87 said:
They are small crickets...the pet store in Jacksonville didn't say anything about pinching the jumpers off...he wasn't having a problem catchin/killing/eating them before. And as far as I know the crickets have guts...when I stepped on one it crunched. He is in a glass cage and he has a heated rock, and we have a heating pad under half his cage. He has an appointment at 4:30 at the Lex Pk Vet Hospital. Has anyone been there before?
The pet stores usually don't tell you this but heat from above is always better than heat from below. Heat rocks aren't a good idea.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Bogart said:
The pet stores usually don't tell you this but heat from above is always better than heat from below. Heat rocks aren't a good idea.

So what would you recommend? I am just doing what they told my Daddy in Jacksonville.

Bogart

maxima87 said:
So what would you recommend? I am just doing what they told my Daddy in Jacksonville.
Leopard geckos are beautiful, and they are also escape artists, don't be fooled by their slow pace and goofy 'smile'. When I had lizards I used a heat element in a ceraminc fixture placed on top of the wire mesh lid. Put a regular rock or branch underneath of it but not too close. We also kept them all in a room together and kept the temp in that room higher than the rest of the house. What kind of objects are in his enclosure, any hideouts for him?

Bogart

I know heat elements can be expensive. If you have to use a heat rock, cover it with sand so it does not contact your gecko's skin.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
sleuth said:
It's not gecko... It's GEICO!!! :groaner:
Maybe that's the problem--the gecko is on a hunger strike to protest the stereotypical portrayal of his species in the GEICO commercials.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Bogart said:
I know heat elements can be expensive. If you have to use a heat rock, cover it with sand so it does not contact your gecko's skin.

JuJu is my first lizard. He is soo cute. The store that he got him from put some large shells, the rock, and a few small branches in his cage. How big do they get? Right now he is only as big as a man's pinky. Thanks for all your suggestions! :flowers:

Bogart

If I remember they can get up to ten inches, about half that is tail. What is he in, a ten gal fish tank? You should give him somewhere to hide. Something big enough so he can get his whole body in a dark place if he wants to.