NRA endorses Bush

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Here is the text which presents the candidates record on the Second Amendment.

Today, NRA's Political Victory Fund (www.NRAPVF.org) endorsed President George W. Bush for re-election to the White House.

"On behalf of NRA's four million members and tens of millions of American gun owners and sportsmen I'm proud to endorse President Bush for re-election to the White House," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "The differences between President Bush and John Kerry on issues of concern to gun owners and sportsmen couldn't be clearer. John Kerry has never met a gun control bill he didn't like. He has voted against gun owners more than 50 times as a U.S. Senator, and has accepted the endorsement of the Humane Society of the United States-one of the most virulently anti-hunting organizations in America," Cox added.

"NRA stands with President George W. Bush on November 2," said Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President. "If you believe in freedom and want to preserve the Second Amendment for future generations, vote to re-elect President Bush and Vice President Cheney. In the United States we have a long tradition of hunting and sport shooting," stated LaPierre. "President Bush and Vice President Cheney both love to hunt and fish. They know the Constitution guarantees people the personal right to bear arms. And, they want to pass the values of our Nation on to a new generation."

President Bush: Friend of Gun Owners

* The Bush Administration stated, "that the text and original intent of the Second Amendment clearly protect the right of individuals to keep and bear firearms," reversing the Clinton Administration position that the Second Amendment only applies to state militias;

* President Bush sent representatives to the United Nations with a clear message: we will not allow the UN to impose international regulations that would violate the Second Amendment and infringe on our sovereignty;

* George W. Bush respects America's sporting and hunting heritage. His administration signed an agreement with 17 major sportsmen's organizations to improve hunting and fishing access to Federal lands, and initiated a conservation agenda to protect millions of acres of forest, wetlands, and grasslands for future generations of hunters;

* As President, he gave money to prosecute federal gun crimes through Project Safe Neighborhoods and signed a national Right-to-Carry law for law enforcement officers;

* President Bush knows that holding the American firearm industry responsible for the acts of criminals is wrong. That's why he supported the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act," to prevent reckless lawsuits against lawful American businesses.

John Kerry: A Gun Owner's Worst Nightmare

* Kerry voted in 2004 to ban most center-fire rifle ammunition, including the most common rounds used by deer hunters, siding with Ted Kennedy, and said in a CNN interview, "I think you ought to tax all ammunition more, personally, I think you ought to tax guns." ("Late Edition," Nov. 7, 1993);

* Kerry cast numerous votes to ban guns, and currently is a co-sponsor of S. 1431, which would ban all semi-automatic shotguns, all semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines, and many other guns commonly used by sportsmen;

* Kerry voted to effectively shut down gun shows in America; voted to hold firearm manufacturers responsible for the acts of criminals; and voted 11 times to impose waiting periods on law-abiding gun buyers;

* Kerry has a 100% voting record with, and earned the endorsement of, the Brady Campaign (Formerly Handgun Control, Inc.)-a group that says you have no right to own any gun. And, he repeatedly earns the support of PETA and the Humane Society of the United States-groups who openly want to ban all hunting in America.

Chris Cox summed it up well: "Without a doubt, John Kerry and John Edwards are the most anti-gun presidential ticket in our country's history."

Not understating the importance of the November 2 election for the future of our Second Amendment rights, Wayne LaPierre concluded, "The future of our freedom is at stake on November 2. Join with us, and ask your family, friends, and fellow sportsmen to join with us, in voting for a freer and stronger America. Vote to re-elect President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney."

ylexot

Super Genius
I'm just a little surprised that Bush didn't take a stand against the assault weapons ban last night. Anybody that knows anything about guns can see that it is a poorly written piece of legislation that bans guns based on how scary they look.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
I'm just a little surprised that Bush didn't take a stand against the assault weapons ban last night. Anybody that knows anything about guns can see that it is a poorly written piece of legislation that bans guns based on how scary they look.
Many RINOs (Republican In Name Only) including Arnold, who just signed a gun ban in California, don't stand up for our Second Amendment rights. They probably have never read the Constitution, don't understand the history behind it, and have no concept of the thought process that went into its writing.

Kerry talks about AK-47s without even knowing what an AK-47 is. You have to have a special license (shouldn't have to) to have any fully automatic weapon; an AK-47 is fully automatic, so it is already regulated.

Pete

Repete
ylexot said:
Especially last night when John Kerry launched into his sappy story about when he was hunting with some Sheriff in Wisconson a few weeks ago and he pointed to a house and said "We did a drug raid on that house last week and they found an AK-47 inside."

Well since the assault weapons ban just expired, and the hunting trip was a few weeks ago, it seems to me that the person (criminal) in the house selling drugs must have ignored the assault weapons ban because he had an AK-47 before the ban expired.

Why didn't Bush jam that down his throat?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
2ndAmendment said:
Many RINOs (Republican In Name Only) including Arnold, who just signed a gun ban in California, don't stand up for our Second Amendment rights. They probably have never read the Constitution, don't understand the history behind it, and have no concept of the thought process that went into its writing.

Kerry talks about AK-47s without even knowing what an AK-47 is. You have to have a special license (shouldn't have to) to have any fully automatic weapon; an AK-47 is fully automatic, so it is already regulated.
Wait a moment 2nd A, I thought Johnny was seen trading his M-16 in Paris, to a North Vietnamese officer for his counterpart's Ak-47?

ylexot

Super Genius
2ndAmendment said:
I thought about that last night too. Bush could have slam-dunked Kerry with that come-back if he actually knew the laws.

Bush may have the NRA endorsement, but that's only because Kerry is even worse by the NRA standards.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
I thought about that last night too. Bush could have slam-dunked Kerry with that come-back if he actually knew the laws.

Bush may have the NRA endorsement, but that's only because Kerry is even worse by the NRA standards.
That is true.

B

Bruzilla

2ndAmendment said:
an AK-47 is fully automatic, so it is already regulated.

Actually... an AK-47 is a selective fire weapon. It is not "fully automatic."

B

Bruzilla

Sorry to be such a stickler for correct terminology, but the incorrect use of terms leads to a lot of misunderstandings.

A semi-auto weapon is one that fires and chambers a single round, without any manual operation of the action, for each time the trigger is pulled. This includes civilian AR-15s, M-1As, AKMs, M-1 Carbines, M-1 Garands, etc. A selective-fire weapon is one that can be fired in a semi-automatic, automatic, or burst mode. This includes USAF AR-15s, M-16s, M-14s, AK-47/74, M-2s, etc. Automatic weapons (there really is no "fully" automatic term, except from gun control types) fire until the trigger is released. These weapons have been out of vogue since WWII, and are primarily limited to heavy automatic weapons (M1934, M2, MG-42 etc.) and submachine guns (more correctly termed as machine pistols, as they were designed to fire pistol ammunition at a high rate and large numbers, such as the M-3, MP-38/40, Sten guns, etc.)

Also, assault weapons are properly defined as selective-fire weapons that fire sub-munitions. This would be any selective-fire weapon that fires a 5.56 NATO/.223, 7.62X39, 7.92X33K, etc., round. Main Battle Rifles (MBRs) are weapons that are designed to fire, manually, semi-automatically, or selective fire, a full-size round such as an 8MM, 30.06, .308/7.62X54, .303, etc., and includes the M-1 Garand, M-14, Springfield 1903, Mauser 98, FN/FAL, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
Sorry to be such a stickler for correct terminology, but the incorrect use of terms leads to a lot of misunderstandings.

A semi-auto weapon is one that fires and chambers a single round, without any manual operation of the action, for each time the trigger is pulled. This includes civilian AR-15s, M-1As, AKMs, M-1 Carbines, M-1 Garands, etc. A selective-fire weapon is one that can be fired in a semi-automatic, automatic, or burst mode. This includes USAF AR-15s, M-16s, M-14s, AK-47/74, M-2s, etc. Automatic weapons (there really is no "fully" automatic term, except from gun control types) fire until the trigger is released. These weapons have been out of vogue since WWII, and are primarily limited to heavy automatic weapons (M1934, M2, MG-42 etc.) and submachine guns (more correctly termed as machine pistols, as they were designed to fire pistol ammunition at a high rate and large numbers, such as the M-3, MP-38/40, Sten guns, etc.)

Also, assault weapons are properly defined as selective-fire weapons that fire sub-munitions. This would be any selective-fire weapon that fires a 5.56 NATO/.223, 7.62X39, 7.92X33K, etc., round. Main Battle Rifles (MBRs) are weapons that are designed to fire, manually, semi-automatically, or selective fire, a full-size round such as an 8MM, 30.06, .308/7.62X54, .303, etc., and includes the M-1 Garand, M-14, Springfield 1903, Mauser 98, FN/FAL, etc.
NSS.

Definition from the U.S. Army: "Submunition. Any munition that, to perform its task, separates from a parent munition."

Show me where ANY AR-15 (USAF or otherwise is capable of full auto).

Select fire means being able to select mode of fire. The select modes for an AR-15 and a SK-47 are safe or semi-auto. The select modes for an AK-47 and a M-16 are safe, semi-auto, full auto (burst for later years of M-16). There is a modification for the M-16 for four modes of fire; safe, semi, burst, and full.

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
And the A in AR-15 stands for Armalite not assault. Armalite was the originator of the Armalite Rifle design 15 (AR-15). The same design is used by Bushmaster and other manufacturers. Colt used to use the same design but then changed the size of the front pin that connects the lower to the upper (for that reason alone, I would not buy a Colt).

B

Bruzilla

The AR-15 was based on the AR-10 that Eugene Stoner developed for Armalite and that lost out in MBR competition to the M-14. The AR-10, like the AR-15, was a selective-fire weapon when tested by the military. The Army had no interest in the AR-15 (having just adopted the M-14). The story as I remember it was that Stoner had a big BBQ going, and one of his guests was USAF General Curtis LeMay, who was the head of SAC. Stoner told LeMay about the light-weight AR-15 and let LeMay test fire it at the BBQ (the BBQ story may be legend, but fact is that Stoner made a direct sale to LeMay.) LeMay was very impressed and ordered a bunch of them for use by SAC security sentries. These were, and still are, selective-fire AR-15s. If you go by most USAF bases today you'll still see them in use.

The M-16 designation was not applied until the Army adopted the rifle later. Also, I didn't mean to imply that AR meant Assault Rifle. The AR in both the AR-15 and the AR-10 stand for Armalite Rifle. Since LeMay did a direct purchase of his AR-15 rifles, and bypassed standard practice for adopting weapons (as he often did, SAC could do just about anything back then), the rifles entered service as the AR-15. The Army did follow procedures, which is why the rifle lost the AR-15 designator and picked up the model-16 (M-16) nomenclature.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Bru and 2nd, your discussion about guns makes a good point that gun-control advocates seem to miss. In their minds, most "gun nuts" are right-wing terrorists holed up in the Idaho panhandle plotting to wage war on blacks and Jews. That's not it at all. You guys sound no different than gearheads talking about their classic hot rods, or techheads contrasting Pentium versus AMD. I can relate, since I love tech gadgets (except for cell phones). It's probably a guy thing. A man and his gun--it's a beautiful thing.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
The story as I remember it was that Stoner had a big BBQ going, and one of his guests was USAF General Curtis LeMay, who was the head of SAC. Stoner told LeMay about the light-weight AR-15 and let LeMay test fire it at the BBQ (the BBQ story may be legend, but fact is that Stoner made a direct sale to LeMay.) LeMay was very impressed and ordered a bunch of them for use by SAC security sentries. These were, and still are, selective-fire AR-15s. If you go by most USAF bases today you'll still see them in use.
I stand corrected, at least partially. The AR-15 that LeMay shot was indeed capable of full auto as well as semi-auto fire, but according to the history, these rifles were only prototypes. When the AR-15 went into production, the full auto capability was not included in the production rifles.

B

Bruzilla

I fired a USAF AR-15 (and yes... the lower was marked AR-15) in the Azores back in 1983 or so, and it was selective fire.

But again, the 8,000 or so AR-15s that LeMay bought were not U.S. Govie approved weapons, but they were not prototypes either. They were production pieces made to fill the order.