Oyster Fest.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
What a disappointment! $5 to get in (fine), but $7 for 5 small dried up fried ioysters? $5 for a lukewarm cup of stew with 2 small oysters in it? Not a great example of what St. Mary's is all about....

K

Kizzy

You know, everyone I have talked to has complained and said it sucked.
It sure sounds like they need to make changes.

I am pretty sure there is already a couple threads on this topic. Unless I'm seeing things.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
Kizzy said:
You know, everyone I have talked to has complained and said it sucked.
It sure sounds like they need to make changes.

I am pretty sure there is already a couple threads on this topic. Unless I'm seeing things.

It was not so much my intention to start a thread about Oyster Fest., but to make the point that everyone is supposed to be promoting all that St. Mary's has to offer and it seems like those in charge are doing all they can to shoot themselves in the foot.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
flowerchild said:
It was not so much my intention to start a thread about Oyster Fest., but to make the point that everyone is supposed to be promoting all that St. Mary's has to offer and it seems like those in charge are doing all they can to shoot themselves in the foot.
Never would have guessed... :duh:

Cletus_Vandam

Me and the wife went. It was the first time going. Have to say, I was not impressed with several things.

First off, I recognized one person there. I don't think they get the local support that they should. I wonder out of everyone going how many were from the three counties, versus traveling from Annapolis or ????

Prices... have to agree. I don't remember how much the fried oysters were, but I should have stuck with going to Crabknockers in Leonardtown, bought a quart and fried them at home. They'd have been cheaper and would have been better tasting too....

The only thing I have to applaude was the fact that I was able to get a "shuck me, suck me" shirt. :lol:

tipsymcgee

Of course you're not going to see locals there, they know it's overpriced. The only locals you see are the ones working for the most part. A big reason for high prices is there aren't as many local oysters any more. Most of the oysters there came from the Eastern Shore or the Gulf states and Texas. There are very few of these events that aren't overpriced any more. The Fair, Crab Festival, Blessing of the Fleet, et cetera, it's all expensive for what you get.

R

rhumbpunch

The food prices have gotten a bit steep. If the proceeds go to a good cause, not such a bad thing.

The best part is the cold beer and the "Shuck-Off".

You can hang out at the Shucking competition and scam on some freebees.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
tipsymcgee said:
Of course you're not going to see locals there, they know it's overpriced.
:yeahthat: It's a downfall to their success. Now that the Oyster Festival has hit the big time and draws more and more people from outside of a 25 mile radius, it has lost its hometown feel. :frown: It's mass marketing and is more like a cattle drive: herd 'em in and ship 'em out. Moo. :duh:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
jazz lady said:
:yeahthat: It's a downfall to their success. Now that the Oyster Festival has hit the big time and draws more and more people from outside of a 25 mile radius, it has lost its hometown feel. :frown: It's mass marketing and is more like a cattle drive: herd 'em in and ship 'em out. Moo. :duh:
Kind of the same reason no one around here likes going to the tiki opening.

Bogart

jazz lady said:
see Governor's Cup

Elle

Happy Camper!
jazz lady said:
But isn't it the home of the National Oyster Shucking Championships and the National Oyster Cook-Off?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
David said:
I think the thing that is being missed here is that it is sponsored by the local Rotary Clubs and the proceeds most likely go to benefit their many good causes. Even the private vendors have to pay a fee that most likely goes to cover the operating costs and subsequently to Rotary programs. So, basically, it should be looked at as a charitable event and not an opportunity to get a bargain on oysters. Frankly, given the price of a Big Mac, large fries and a Coke, the prices at the Oyster Festival were not unreasonable.

Personally, I hadn't even taken cost into consideration when I've gone to the Oyster Fest. What I do consider is the quality of what I'm paying for. If it's oyster stew with 2 oysters, fine. At least the stew should be hot. If it's three fried oysters, fine. They shouldn't be overcooked in dirty grease.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Pete

Repete
For a self proclaimed "National Festival" they should police the quality better. It was showcased a couple years ago on The FOOD Network. For an example of well put together Regional festivals they should go check out the Lobster Festival in Rockland, Me or the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA. Nothing says it cannot retain it's small town charm, but it needs to be something worth coming too.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
David said:
I think the thing that is being missed here is that it is sponsored by the local Rotary Clubs and the proceeds most likely go to benefit their many good causes. Even the private vendors have to pay a fee that most likely goes to cover the operating costs and subsequently to Rotary programs. So, basically, it should be looked at as a charitable event and not an opportunity to get a bargain on oysters. Frankly, given the price of a Big Mac, large fries and a Coke, the prices at the Oyster Festival were not unreasonable.
Even charitable events have to be "worth" going to. The money spent on operating costs and holding the event will be a waste if paid attendence is low. JMHO :shrug:

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
David said:

RIGHT ON!! I agree with you one hundred percent. But to be honest I didn't go. I went 6 years ago though and it was a lot of fun. I was one of the volunteers frying soft crabs.