Republicans For Kerry

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
Former Republican Governor William Milliken of Michigan denounces Bush and endorses Kerry, and slams Bush for "pandering to the extreme right wing". :moon: He also accuses the Bush Administration of rushing into the war with Iraq, pushing tax cuts for the wealthiest and blocking meaningful stem cell research. I just thought that was interesting. :whistle:

Pete

Repete
UrbanPancake said:
Former Republican Governor William Milliken of Michigan denounces Bush and endorses Kerry, and slams Bush for "pandering to the extreme right wing". :moon: He also accuses the Bush Administration of rushing into the war with Iraq, pushing tax cuts for the wealthiest and blocking meaningful stem cell research. I just thought that was interesting. :whistle:

This post deleted in accordance with the Liberal Protection Act of 2004.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
UrbanPancake said:

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Rushing to war? The measure authorizing the President had been in place for over a year before the invasion, but I guess to you that would be rushing. The tax cuts were for all of us and many were taken completely off the rolls, but I guess that doesn’t matter either. There has been no blocking of research, federal funding is just not allowed except for the existing strains, so how does that block any form of research meaningful or not?

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
:patriot:
Ken King said:
Rushing to war? The measure authorizing the President had been in place for over a year before the invasion, but I guess to you that would be rushing. The tax cuts were for all of us and many were taken completely off the rolls, but I guess that doesn’t matter either. There has been no blocking of research, federal funding is just not allowed except for the existing strains, so how does that block any form of research meaningful or not?

The strains that exist are not of high quality, and they are very limited. This is also interesting. Arnold S. the Republican Governor of California recently released that he fully supports funding stem cell research with funding from his state. It seems like Bush really is out of touch with American's, which includes moderate Republicans.

Pete

Repete
UrbanPancake said:
The strains that exist are not of high quality, and they are very limited. This is also interesting. Arnold S. the Republican Governor of California recently released that fully supports funding stem cell research with funding from his state. It seems like Bush really is out of touch with America.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Osama would vote for anybody but Bush too.. as well as Saddam, and Sadr.. the worlds full of idiots.. and we just found one more..

Ken King

PREMO Member
UrbanPancake said:
:patriot:

The strains that exist are not of high quality, and they are very limited. This is also interesting. Arnold S. the Republican Governor of California recently released that he fully supports funding stem cell research with funding from his state. It seems like Bush really is out of touch with American's, which includes moderate Republicans.
They are what existed and who says they aren't high quality and exactly what would a high quality line look like?

I agree with the decision to not use federal dollars to conduct further destruction of viable life. If states want to do it that is for them to decide, if private industry wants to do it that again is their choice. But to use federal dollars for such a program is not right.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
itsbob said:
Osama would vote for anybody but Bush too.. as well as Saddam, and Sadr.. the worlds full of idiots.. and we just found one more..

I don't know. I think Osama would vote for Bush too......shoot Bush diverted America's attention from him to Saddam. I bet Osama would love Bush to win. :killingme I mean Bush can't even catch the man. :killingme

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
UrbanPancake said:
I bet Osama would love Bush to win. :killingme I mean Bush can't even catch the man. :killingme

Please lay out Kerry's plan to catch him (if he's even still alive, which is in question.)

B

Bruzilla

Lucky me... I just happen to have a younger sister who does stem cell research in Atlanta. Here's the low-down that I got from her. The existing lines are limited only in the sense that there is not an unlimited supply, not because there are too few. In the 2.5 years she's been working with them, she and her group have only worked with one strain. She said that working with more strains at the same time really trashes the consistency of results. so there really isn't a need for a ton of new strains - at least until they get some feeling of what can be done with stem cells, which is right now one step above nothing.

This is why private investors are not sinking much money into this effort. She said they spend billions of dollars in AIDS cures, but next to nothing in stem cells because "the science isn't there." There's nothing but theories and conjecture, and there's a very good chance that all of the reserach will come to nothing. That's why there's a huge push for the government to pay for the research. If the money ends up being wasted, it's "The Government's" money.

Here's what we really got a chuckle out of. The lack of government funding is forcing the dreaded PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY and BIG DRUG COMPANIES to pay for the research. If the government does as the Dems want, and pays for the research, they'll be giving a windfall to those oh-so-nasty drug people. Makes you wonder who's pocket the drug companies are really in. :confused:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
UrbanPancake said:
I don't know. I think Osama would vote for Bush too......shoot Bush diverted America's attention from him to Saddam. I bet Osama would love Bush to win. :killingme

You really are the epitome of the democratic party aren't you? You can't wrap your head around anything more complex then simple math, 2 + 2... Where do you think Osama's minions are? The Bahamas?

How many terrorists did Clinton kill, or imprison? How successful has ANY democratic plan to rid this planet of terrorists been, other then giving some head of state a papercut?

BUSH and our military, the BEST in the world DESPITE Kerry, and his liberal cronies.. have killed and imporisoned THOUSANDS. .. we've even killed the ones livberals like you got the Army to release from Guido Bay. You whine that we should let them go, they go back and try to kill more Americans, so we kill them... If it wasn't for you liberals, they could still be alive in Cuba.. but NOOO you wanted us to let them go.. so in esseence YOU killed them.

Otter

Nothing to see here
:lmao: Milliken was Governor of Michigan over 20 yrs ago, why is this important??? I'm sure you or I could drudge up old democrats or republicans that are voting for the other party. Much ado about nothing.

Toxick

Splat
Ken King said:
I agree with the decision to not use federal dollars to conduct further destruction of viable life.

I also agree that the destruction of viable life is nothing short of murder. It is for this reason I am against abortion during any term.

BUT:

I have yet to be convinced that stem cells - even embroyonic stem cells - qualify as viable life, or anything other than human cells which have not been specialized. The only literature that I can find which states that "stem cells = babies" are of the non-scientific variety. If I ever see non-biased reputable literature which concludes that stem cells are human beings, I'd give it weight, but thus far I haven't seen any.

Right now, it's one of my major sticking points with the Republican Party in general and Bush in particular.

Having said that:

Ken King said:
If states want to do it that is for them to decide, if private industry wants to do it that again is their choice. But to use federal dollars for such a program is not right.

This is so right-on, it's not even funny.

I am all for allowing states to decide how to handle the matter. The more power the states have, the better - and the less power the federal government has, the better.

:patriot: :peace: :patriot: :peace: :patriot:

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
Bruzilla said:
Lucky me... I just happen to have a younger sister who does stem cell research in Atlanta. Here's the low-down that I got from her. The existing lines are limited only in the sense that there is not an unlimited supply, not because there are too few. In the 2.5 years she's been working with them, she and her group have only worked with one strain. She said that working with more strains at the same time really trashes the consistency of results. so there really isn't a need for a ton of new strains - at least until they get some feeling of what can be done with stem cells, which is right now one step above nothing.

This is why private investors are not sinking much money into this effort. She said they spend billions of dollars in AIDS cures, but next to nothing in stem cells because "the science isn't there." There's nothing but theories and conjecture, and there's a very good chance that all of the reserach will come to nothing. That's why there's a huge push for the government to pay for the research. If the money ends up being wasted, it's "The Government's" money.

Here's what we really got a chuckle out of. The lack of government funding is forcing the dreaded PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY and BIG DRUG COMPANIES to pay for the research. If the government does as the Dems want, and pays for the research, they'll be giving a windfall to those oh-so-nasty drug people. Makes you wonder who's pocket the drug companies are really in. :confused:
There in Bush's pockets. Who do you think they contribute campaign funds to? BUSH. He made it illegal for Medicare to buy Prescription drugs in bulk????? Most American's buy products in bulk to save money. Why did Bush make it illegal then?????

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
Right now the UK and Europe are leading the World in Stem Cell Research. If they develop these technologies the US will be behind. This research will also create new jobs in fields that require extensive educational training (instead of staying here in the US they'll go to Europe). These new jobs that will be created will also be compensated very well, while increasing the country's tax revenue to reduce the deficit created by the Bush Administration.

This technology reminds of when we went to the Moon. People said it couldn't be done and it was a waste of money. But American Scientists proved these skeptics wrong. Not only did we make it to the Moon, but we gained so many new technology's from NASA. There is nothing to lose from Stem Cell Research, we have everything to gain.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Toxick said:
I have yet to be convinced that stem cells - even embroyonic stem cells - qualify as viable life, or anything other than human cells which have not been specialized. The only literature that I can find which states that "stem cells = babies" are of the non-scientific variety. If I ever see non-biased reputable literature which concludes that stem cells are human beings, I'd give it weight, but thus far I haven't seen any.
I would agree that the stem cells of and by themselves are not a viable life, however to obtain new lines of these cells you must fertilize an egg and start the life process for several days before harvesting the stem cells. I truly have no problem with doing so until federal dollars are involved. As the President has stood for, with the existance of lines already in place, federally funded research can go on. There just won't be any funding for new lines.