Washington DC Baseball Team

DCBaseballGuy

So, by now everyone has heard about the new Major League Baseball team coming to Washington, DC. I hope there is a lot of excitement and interest out there; now I know there are many O's fans out there, but I do not want to spark a debate here. I was just seeing if there were people out there interested in supporting the new team in various ways: buying tickets, coordinating travel arrangements to games, forming an email list or club of some sort, etc...

Please let me know if you interested; you can reply to this thread, or send me a PM or an email:

DCBaseballGuy@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Marc

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
I'll support them as long as they don't build the Stadium on South Capitol Street. But otherwise I'll support them with moral support. (I'm not a big fan of sports) Although I do like the Baltimore Ravens.

J.South

Let's get drunk
UrbanPancake said:
I'll support them as long as they don't build the Stadium on South Capitol Street. But otherwise I'll support them with moral support. (I'm not a big fan of sports) Although I do like the Baltimore Ravens.

I think stadium is suppose to be in Anacostia. Hopefully, the stadium will transform that area like the MCI center did chinatown

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm glad D.C. is getting a team. What it needs is a level-headed owner, an anti-Angelos who will let the GM and manager do their jobs.

What do you want the team to be called? I like talking about names for proposed teams, whether they're in D.C. or Hughesville. For Washington, I would favor the Senators, the Nationals, or the Grays.

DCBaseballGuy

I'm not sure where they plan to build the new stadium - many locations are being thrown around - but for at least 2-3 years they will be playing at RFK. Now there are defintely better scenarios, but I don't think it will that bad. But you're right, I hope it uplifts the anacostia area ecomomically and socially to some extent while they play there. As long as its easier for people down here to get there, I'm all for it. 2.5 hrs + is tough as nails on a weeknight for the O's.

I vote for the Senators as a name - just classy, and historic. I like the Grays too, probably my second vote. I would like to see them stick with the red-white uniforms (like angels), but maybe throw some navy in there since they are the team from nation's capital. Maybe gray on the road...or maybe even pin stripes at home, even though I dispise the yankees (sorry yanks fans). :razz:

SmallTown

Football season!
Ken King said:
Name them after the politicians and just call them the Bandits.

Being in DC, this will, by default, be "America's Team".

We need a name that expresses what America is all about. What drives this country. A name that when people see it will know what this county, and this city, stands for. We need a name that shows power. A name that shows we will do anything to succeed. A name that will strike fear in our opponents.
I vote for the D.C. Lobbyists.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
SmallTown said:
Being in DC, this will, by default, be "America's Team".

We need a name that expresses what America is all about. What drives this country. A name that when people see it will know what this county, and this city, stands for. We need a name that shows power. A name that shows we will do anything to succeed. A name that will strike fear in our opponents.
I vote for the D.C. Lobbyists.
Pretty good, but what about Berry's Beyotches, that way when they lose they can claim that they were set up.

SmallTown

Football season!
Ken King said:
Pretty good, but what about Berry's Beyotches, that way when they lose they can claim that they were set up.
I've heard they were discussing the Crack Ho's.
But they figured with a name like that, it would be impossible to keep the chalk lines on the field.

Nupe2

Note to DCBaseballGuy: YOU POOR MAN, you're new here...be afraid, be very afraid. Other than that, Welcome. One of the kids from our area (Hughesville Little League!) pitches in the "Expos" organization. His name is Daryl Thompson and it would be great to go up to DC to see a local guy. My vote is for the Grays with Senators a close second. I'm originally from DC and I remember walking across the bridge to Senators games. I even went to D.C. Stadium to see Mantle and Maris in '61. I believe that was the year the stadium was opened. To get an understanding of how things have changed, Benny Daniels (former Senators pitcher) lived in some apartments off of Alabama Avenue. Phil Ortega (another pitcher) lived just across the line in Maryland. There also used to be a big painting of Chuck Hinton on the side of building on Benning Road. Hopefully baseball's return will provide similar memories for the next generation. Probably not, but at least we'll get the chance to see Bonds, Griffey, Pujols and others right here at home for a change. It's time to PLAY BALL!

I'll be in contact. (oh, and remember...be afraid, be very afraid...there are "tards" here (don't worry, they're friendly tards, but tards just the same).

Welcome to our world. :cheers:

DCBaseballGuy

Thanks Nupe2 - don't have pity, I'm a big boy, and can fend for myself. I shoulda expected the name thing - I actually like the Crack Ho's and the reference to the foul lines - good stuff.

Anyway, just seeing if there is any interest out there. I am probably going to get a limited 13-15 game plan and see how it goes. Anyone else thinking about season tixs?

Nupe2 - I'll PM or email ya- you can do the same. Thanks-

Marc

DCBaseballGuy

Those are some great memories/stories of the old senator days - where was the stadium? I think the new team/stadium will help any area that it's placed in, regardless of economic or social conditions. Anyone want to start a sports pub? Haha-

Can't wait for April!!!

Marc

willie

DCBaseballGuy said:
Those are some great memories/stories of the old senator days - where was the stadium? I think the new team/stadium will help any area that it's placed in, regardless of economic or social conditions. Anyone want to start a sports pub? Haha-

Can't wait for April!!!

Marc
Griffith Stadium, Georgia an Florida Ave, N.W. Last game played there in 1961 then it went to RFK.
http://www.cjis.com/senators.htm
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/GriffithStadium.htm
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/rfksta.htm

Last edited: