Code Home Rule in Calvert County

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
We discussed this last week at IJS (in IJS), you can go take a look if you want.

willie

I'm all for code home rule. Why would anyone not want to get Baltimore and PG county out of our business?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Do you really trust the CC commissioners? I don't. We have already been screwed over by them. They held a public hearing on a special tax district. The overwhelming majority of the people spoke out against it. They put it through anyway for "5 years". We are now in the 9th year of a 5 year tax and the stuff it was supposed to be used for still hasn't been done.

willie

2ndAmendment said:
Do you really trust the CC commissioners? I don't. We have already been screwed over by them. They held a public hearing on a special tax district. The overwhelming majority of the people spoke out against it. They put it through anyway for "5 years". We are now in the 9th year of a 5 year tax and the stuff it was supposed to be used for still hasn't been done.
Code Home rule would not have made that underhanded trick any different. We, the voter, are responsible for who makes those decisions and all our tax decisions. Wouldn't you rather the people we elected made these decisions and not the liberal State of Maryland? When BG&E first came online and paid the first payment of their County tax bill our Commissioners considered ELIMINATING the homeowners property tax. The lawmakers of the sweet city of Baltimore decided they wanted to get a piece of OUR pie and almost got away with dividing our money with the rest of the state. I don't want anyone that is not elected by Calvert countians to have power over our county business. Especially the types that run Baltimore city. What are some good arguments against Home Rule? It seems like a no brainer to me but there must be some valid reasons it wasn't done before this.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
2ndAmendment said:

Wow....I really agree with you on this. I'm in shock....I'm not sure how too :howdy: feel about this.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Here's what I'm thinking....

First, the corrupt CC's need to be voted out.
THEN, Code Home Rule needs to be voted in.

Unfortunately, if you do it the other way around... you have corrupt CC's with too much power.

So if these CC's are so bad... why haven't they been voted out? (I'm still relatively new to the county, so please enlighten me)

Hessian

Initially Open...Now, wary.

I saw the bulletin that spelled out the pros & cons...then I heard what Linda Kelly wrote recently. I trust her judgement and she is firmly opposed to it.
Apparently there has been a deep desire to boost property taxes...and even open up some debt on projects. Both things have been stalled by State admin. If our local CC want more growth because it leads to more $$ to spend...they will have more autonomy to do that.

So: If we have a decent set of CCs...we would have fiscal responsibility, and cautious growth, and preservation.
If we have aggressive, pro growth, high tax CC's...there is NOTHING to reign them in until the next election when they buy votes with education funding and kissing babies at the county fair. I don't trust the good ol' boy network in my county.
Say no to Home rule

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Oppose Code Home Rule!

Oppose Code Home Rule!

Oppose...
Why Now? Why is this on the ballot? In 2002, the Board of County Commissioners requested authority from the General Assembly to impose a new tax (real estate transfer tax). This tax would add up to a 0.5 percent tax, or $1,000 to $2,000 to closing costs (depending on the house price). The delegation members, Dels. George W. Owings III and Anthony J. O'Donnell, said closing costs were already very high, and the delegation on a 5 to 1 vote, declined to sponsor the bill to give the commissioners the authority to impose the tax.

The taxing authority was again requested in 2003 and was rejected.

The BOCC was unhappy with the refusal, and discovered that if the county's form of government were code home rule, it would no longer have to go to Annapolis in order to impose the tax. Thus, the code home rule initiative was spawned.

It was not because the form of government was broken, and it was not a groundswell from citizens who wanted a change. It was about being told no on a tax initiative.

The bottom line: Code home rule (1) strips the checks and balances from the system, (2) gives the commissioners additional taxing authorities, (3) is a more complicated process and (4) gives the commissioners unlimited bonding (borrowing) authority.

For...

Please vote for adoption of code home rule Tuesday. I am an attorney... :blahblah:

The commissioners are elected officials who will not endanger their reelection by making unpopular decisions.

If they do, your checks and balances come every four years.

Well, isn't that special. :biteme: