Gov. Youth Forum

smcdem

Tonight I had the oppurtunity to ask Ehrlich and Townsend a question at a youth forum. About 200 kids showed up in Baltimore and when you registered you sent in a question and only 15 were chosen. My question was as follows:
Hello My name is _____and I am from _______ in Leonardtown (which is in st marys county) I am a private school student who opposes the notion of using public money for vouchers. My question is "Can you please explain you posistion on this issue"?
Both candidates gave good answers but u gotta go with Kennedy!!!
Let's Pray she wins!! Anyway it was a great experience. Highlights will be on channel 11 news tonight, and I think the forum could re-air on C-span on a later date. I'll Check into that

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would like you to explain to me why, as a private school student, you oppose less fortunate kids having the same educational opportunity.

smcdem

Public money goes to Public School. Its as simple as that. You give any money to Private school you sendf a signal that you have given up on them. THAT is HORRIBLE. All of our resources should go to helping public schools. Public money should not go to Private schools. It is one's choice to go to private school and one can not justify that money from the state should go to a school where they made a choice to go. Vouchers take away money from our number one Priority, and that is Public Education.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vouchers take away money from our number one Priority, and that is Public Education.
A public education that your parents didn't feel was good enough for you, isn't that correct?
It is one's choice to go to private school and one can not justify that money from the state should go to a school where they made a choice to go.
Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to choose to go to a private school. Some people have to make do with the free crap.

I tell you, liberals are the dizzy limit! On one hand, they want to "level the playing field" by entitlement programs, affirmative action and welfare. But by golly, mention vouchers so that poor kids can get the same education as the rich kids and they hit the roof.

If you weren't so young I'd have some choice words for you. As it stands, I won't say "racist" and "elitist" (but I'm thinking it).

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
That money comes from taxes paid by the citizens. Why is it so wrong to get a little of it back so you can send your kid to a private school?
You give any money to Private school you sendf a signal that you have given up on them.
So why did you parents opt to send your to a private school? My guess is that they realize one is better over the other. Why shouldn't everyone have that choice?

Vrai, you're fast.

Last edited:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by smcdem
Public money goes to Public School. Its as simple as that. You give any money to Private school you sendf a signal that you have given up on them. THAT is HORRIBLE. All of our resources should go to helping public schools. Public money should not go to Private schools. It is one's choice to go to private school and one can not justify that money from the state should go to a school where they made a choice to go. Vouchers take away money from our number one Priority, and that is Public Education.

Yes! God forbid that we invest tax dollars in our future where it will produce the best results.

Next thing you know, people will want to privately invest the 15.4% of their income known as Social Security.

smcdem

Originally posted by vraiblonde

A public education that your parents didn't feel was good enough for you, isn't that correct?

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to choose to go to a private school. Some people have to make do with the free crap.

I tell you, liberals are the dizzy limit! On one hand, they want to "level the playing field" by entitlement programs, affirmative action and welfare. But by golly, mention vouchers so that poor kids can get the same education as the rich kids and they hit the roof.

If you weren't so young I'd have some choice words for you. As it stands, I won't say "racist" and "elitist" (but I'm thinking it).
Humm... A liberal being an elitist or a racist...now thats a new one!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by smcdem

Humm... A liberal being an elitist or a racist...now thats a new one!
Not really - better do your homework. Just like a good little dem you avoided the questions.