2 cats/4 weeks...I'm done.

BTE

Extra Ordinary
My 15 year old cat Bonnie, had to be put sleep almost 4 weeks ago, because of renal failure. I didn't want to get another cat....I just wasn't ready...but my kids wanted a kitten so bad....and they were upset about losing the cat they had known all their life.

So....I decided to go the pound and pick up a kitten, to try and bring some kitty joy back into the house and I knew my kids would be thrilled. That's when we got Milo. Milo got sick on Saturday night and I took him to the emergeny vet Sunday morning. He had parvo, the prognosis was not good and he had to be put to sleep! 9 weeks old, and gone already.

We only had him 10 days. I took him to our vet for a check up 6 days ago and he checked out fine. They told me he had the disease when he left the pound. It just usually takes about 2 weeks for the disease to surface. I'm sure his brother, that he shared a cage with at the pound, is also infected, and who knows how many more.

So, we are all heartbroken again. We have unanimously decided, no more animals. We just aren't willing to take the risk, again.

RIP Milo and Bonnie

:bawl:

K

Kizzy

I am so sorry. Catt had the same thing happen to her not to long ago.

Very sad. :huggy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
BTE said:
So, we are all heartbroken again. We have unanimously decided, no more animals. We just aren't willing to take the risk, again.

RIP Milo and Bonnie

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Unfortunately, animals don't live as long as humans in most cases and we can lose many pets in a lifetime, and I have. But the joy I get from my pets far outweighs the sadness when they go to Rainbow Bridge.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
appyday said:
Is it too early for me?? Or am I missunderstanding something..A kitten with Parvo? As long as I have done cats/dogs I have never heard about that..
I was wondering the same thing. :howdy: Appy

BTE

Extra Ordinary
Panleukopenia = Feline Parvovirus

appyday said:
Is it too early for me?? Or am I missunderstanding something..A kitten with Parvo? As long as I have done cats/dogs I have never heard about that..I always worry about parvo and people coming to see my pups. I am stressed this am mabie I am missunderstanding.

:huggy: I am very sorry about your loss..

Actually, in cats it's called panleukopenia, which is a feline parvo virus. It is also referred to as distemper.

It is a highly contagious, severe parvovirus that causes enteric (bowel), immune system and nervous system disease. This parvovirus is very small and hardy, with several strains.

When I got our kitten from the pound, he had been tested and given a shot for this, and was to get a booster shot mid-november. Unfortunately, I guess his immune system wasn't strong enough and he was exposed while he was at the pound. The vet says it typically takes a couple weeks to surface. And....if you have a pet in the house that's had it, the virus can live on for months, so you have to be careful when/if bringing another pet home. Wiping everything down with bleach helps....but it could still be in your carpets and whatnot.

We had Milo cremated....however, the vet said they discourage home burial due to the infection.

BTE

Extra Ordinary
appyday said:
panleukopenia ok that is better I know what that is..sorry to hear that..That is scary that they have that up there. I vaccinate my kittens for it..
I vaccinate mine for it too. Unfortunately, if you get a pet from some sort of shelter environment, where they are exposed to so many animals, you don't always know what you are getting. He had gotten one vaccination for the disease already and was scheduled to get a booster in next one in a few weeks.

The vet also added that because the pound spayes and neuters at so young of an age, that also lowers their immune system.

My vet recommended that IF we ever decide to get another kitten to get one that is older and has had all shots before we get them.

This was a hard lesson learned. We decided to get a kitten and thought the pound was the way to go, so we could get what we wanted, while saving a little life, at the same time. I will never be willing to take that risk again.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
BTE said:
My 15 year old cat Bonnie, had to be put sleep almost 4 weeks ago, because of renal failure. I didn't want to get another cat....I just wasn't ready...but my kids wanted a kitten so bad....and they were upset about losing the cat they had known all their life.

So....I decided to go the pound and pick up a kitten, to try and bring some kitty joy back into the house and I knew my kids would be thrilled. That's when we got Milo. Milo got sick on Saturday night and I took him to the emergeny vet Sunday morning. He had parvo, the prognosis was not good and he had to be put to sleep! 9 weeks old, and gone already.

We only had him 10 days. I took him to our vet for a check up 6 days ago and he checked out fine. They told me he had the disease when he left the pound. It just usually takes about 2 weeks for the disease to surface. I'm sure his brother, that he shared a cage with at the pound, is also infected, and who knows how many more.

RIP Milo and Bonnie

Sorry to hear that- they become members of the family and it really hurts to lose them-but you gave them love while they were here and that's something that you CAN take with you when you go!!
:flowers:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Are you sure you're not ready for another? I'd be willing to let you have my munchkin kitty. :bawl: I'd be happy knowing she was well kept in your home.

BTE

Extra Ordinary
Thanks to Hello

I'm overwhelmed by the wonderful offer of your sweet little Munchkin Kitty. :huggy: I know how cool she is....but I just can't do it again. I can't see myself doing this again, for sometime. Thanks though.

Princess of mean? Phooey. And I dont' care what Bogart says about you, I think you are A-OK!! :wink:

S

Scrappy

That is terrible, did the humane society offer you another kitten? I know you might not be ready.

BTE

Extra Ordinary
Scrappy said:
That is terrible, did the humane society offer you another kitten? I know you might not be ready.
It was actually Animal Control (The Pound)....they gave me a choice of another kitty or my $35 back. I told them I didn't want another kitty and they could keep the money as a donation. The bad thing, my kitty shared a cage with his brother...so I'm certain his brother has/had the same thing, and probably other kittens there.