Halloween

pilot

I'm curious to know the reasons why some religious Christians won't celebrate Halloween. Does it have something to do with the fact that things like witchcraft and magic are forbidden in the Bible? If so, could someone please give me a reference?

Also, I'm curious to get a feel for how many people in this area don't celebrate it. Any ideas?

I'm not looking for any arguments, I'm just trying to educate myself. :)

watercolor

yeah yeah
I will look into it for you. You might wanna move this to the religion forum. (just a thought....not to hard...just copy and paste and delete this one )

But yes...that is why...cause its celebrates All Hallows Eve. Where it represents such magic and dark stuff. Over there years it has become the frolic and play of getting candy and dressing up as your favorite character and such. But I will get some references for ya. :smile:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The Bible's condemnations of witchcraft was the result of some confusion in the translations. Many scholars believe this came from King James' paranoia about witches and witchcraft. The Hebrew version of the Old Testament only condemned sorcerors and sorceresses who utter curses to deliberately cause people harm. In the New Testament, "witch" was a mistranslation of the Greek "poisoner."

In any case, Wiccans claim that the evil image of witchcraft came from propaganda by 10th-century Christian missionaries. As the argument goes, the missionaries redefined many Celtic religious practices as evil in order to win converts. I've heard this line of reasoning go completely overboard, like the preachy Wiccan in the awful sequel to "Blair Witch Project."

My opinion? I don't even believe in witchcraft. I believe Halloween fulfills a basic human need to laugh at things that scare us (ghosts, goblins, monsters, etc.). I respect people who don't want their own children to take part in Halloween. At the same time, I can't take seriously the idea that the holiday promotes Satanism.

pilot

Originally posted by Tonio

My opinion? I don't even believe in witchcraft. I believe Halloween fulfills a basic human need to laugh at things that scare us (ghosts, goblins, monsters, etc.). I respect people who don't want their own children to take part in Halloween. At the same time, I can't take seriously the idea that the holiday promotes Satanism.

Tonio:

I agree with your point of view. To me, Halloween is a holiday that helps people deal with their fear of the supernatural. I fully respect the choice of those who choose not to celebrate it--as long as they respect the choice of those of us who do. :)

BTW, is "promoting Satanism" really the issue that Christians have with Halloween? Or is it simply because of the prohibition against witchcraft and magic in the Bible? Or maybe both?

The reason I ask is that Halloween is a Pagan holiday, and Paganism and Satanism are two different things. Just looking for some clarification here.

K

Kain99

Here is my basic understanding of the "SAY NO" to Halloween campaign:

(1) Christians should not celebrate Halloween because its customs and practices come from an ancient, pagan (Celtic) festival of the dead. Therefore to participate in Halloween is to serve the devil;

(2) Christians should not celebrate Halloween because pagans and satanists still observe it today as an un-holy day;

(3) Christians should not celebrate Halloween because it is wrong to participate in something that is used for evil or has evil connected to it.

As a quick footnote: Christians are also commanded not to judge one another! Personally speaking the Halloween decision is a personal one... So far I have yet to meet a Mom who dresses her babies up and trick or treats for the Devil!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Kain99
So far I have yet to meet a Mom who dresses her babies up and trick or treats for the Devil!

Good point, Kain. Most people I know don't dress up in the Halloween cliches. I know a couple of people who make an effort to do something creative every year. My favorites:

-Pfiesteria-stricken waterman
-Fred Garvin, male prostitute
-Well-endowed flasher
-Blair Witch Project cast member

SxyPrincess

There's a misunderstanding about Halloween. It's not a time meant to worship ghosts, spirits, goblins or witchcraft. It originated as a remembrance to the "expired." Gifts of food and drink were offered to family and friends that had passed.

I celebrate Halloween and will be walking around with my daughter who will be dressed as Cinderella. :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kain99

I hate to ask......... but are you related to BK?

:lmao: No........after I posted it I thought about that and said, "DOH"!

It was just a curiosity thing to see if she was going to be in costume or not.

pilot

This is reminding me of one year when I went trick-or-treating with my dog. Every single house I went to thought they were being really original by giving me two pieces of candy, and saying "Here's an extra one for the dog." I made out like a bandit that year!

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by pilot
Every single house I went to thought they were being really original by giving me two pieces of candy

I'm use to the handfull's of candy. Don't think I've ever gotten just a piece or two.

SxyPrincess

When I was a sophomore at a H.S. in Virginia, a few friends and I drove around Halloween night with super soaker water guns. We had them filled with food coloring. We would approach a group of kids (a few years younger than us) and bomb away. At the time it was hilarious to watch them run away in fear. Don't think I'd be up for it now. :rolleyes:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Heres some stuff for ya, dont know if I am done looking yet. Just trying to find something of the topic at hand. Keep in mind, I did not write this, I went in search of answers.

Many Halloween (All Hallows Eve) traditions date back to Druid customs 700 years before Christ when a festival to appease Samhain, the "lord of the dead" was celebrated in the fall. Sacrificial burnings of animals and people called bone-fires were held. "Trick or treating" was a celtic custom that began as farmers traveling to the Samhein festival would stop at houses
along the way to obtain food. If they were unhappy with the food or were refused, the house was cursed with trouble sickness and death.

On this night it was believed that spirits of the dead were allowed to roam the earth so people carried lit Jack-o'-lanterns carved with hideous faces and wore masks to scare away the evil spirits as they traveled.

The early church changed the festival into a day of praying for the dead saints called All Saints Day. Protestant churches, however do not recognize this as a holy day. The biggest problem with halloween for many Christians is the fact that it is considered a high holy day for Wicca, witchcraft and other satanic cults who are still very active.

Many people cite that Christmas and Easter also began as pagan
celebrations. The difference is actually obvious. December 25th is not Jesus' actual birth but the symbols connected to the Holiday have true Christian meanings. Easter time is the celebration of our Risen Savior and coincides with Passover. Halloween, however, shares no relationship to our beliefs and the symbols connected to it are still considered unholy. Even
after eliminating the safety concerns, there are many reasons not to celebrate.

The final determination ultimately comes from scripture, which is God's instructions concerning how we should behave. Here are two of many:

Deuteromony 18: 10-12 "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices devination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord, ".

Ephesians 5: 8-11 "For you were once in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

K

Kain99

Watercolor

Wow!! What awesome information.... To Cool! Great Job on the information hunting. This subject has always really interested me. I hate to ask, but where did you find all of this? I have heard that Christmas has similar roots....at least it's traditions. I see your refrence but am curious about the rumors. (Please don't shoot me :frown:) Did you see anything about this? If I ever need a researcher I know where i'm going.:wink:

bbubblyb

This is not in line with the original question asked but I will be taking my children to Anne Marie Gardens over Solomon's way for their "through the woods walk" where local businesses set up tables and are dressed up and give out candy and things to the children. It is Saturday 26th from 11am-4pm. Donation is a can good or $1 per child. I've went the past 2 yrs it's always very nice.

Just for info.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I may do the same, but will definately go to Leonardtown for their trick-or-treat on the square.

bbubblyb

Yes I was planning on doing that too. I have never went to the leonardtown square one though is it better than Anne Marie Gardens?