The DU "Thought Police" Crack Down Hard as They Watch the Election Slip Away...

The Finman

New posting restrictions in effect until at least Nov. 6

For the last 21 months, we have tried very hard to keep this discussion board open to all left-wing points of view. It was one of our guiding principles, because we believed deeply that talking is better than not talking.
But now we have come to the conclusion that the current state of affairs is untenable. In the past few months I have become convinced of two things:

1) There is a small but outspoken group of liberals who simply are not our friends. Please be aware that I am not singling out Greens, most of whom are capable of participating on this message board in a productive and thought-provoking way. Rather, I am referring to people who are consumed with hatred and contempt for any and all liberals who don't share their exact point of view.

2) It is simple to disrupt this message board, and post the most vile and offensive propaganda if you simply declare yourself to be a liberal, Green, or even a Democrat. Some of the things posted by our "fellow liberals" would make a FReeper blush. In fact, some of these "fellow liberals" might even be FReepers. If they are, they've found a rich vein for disruption, because I let them get away with it. Well, no more.

Over time, the result has been an increase in postings by rude, anti-social disruptors, and a decrease in postings by thoughtful, productive members.

In case you haven't heard, there is a very important election occurring in less than three weeks. The stakes in this election are as high as they have ever been. You are being given a clear choice: Hand over complete control of all three branches of government to the forces of evil - or don't.

There is no viable third option. Choosing not to vote (or to vote for a third party) is a morally bankrupt decision during this time of crisis when the potential harm to our country is so great. You may claim you are standing on principle, but simply calling it "principled" does not make it so. Your stand on principle will have dire consequences, and you will share the blame when the Republicans in the House, Senate, White House, and Federal Courts undo a half century of progress.

As the administrator of this message board, I have the opportunity to have an impact on the outcome of this election. As an American, I have a moral obligation to do what I can to stop the conservative juggernaut. For the next three weeks, that is my greatest concern.

We still allow all points of view, but we have our limits.

For the next three weeks:

It is forbidden to use the DU message board in an effort to make our members withhold their precious votes from the Democratic Party, which is the only organization capable of stopping the Republican onslaught.

It is forbidden to use the DU message board to organize protests or other actions against members of the Democratic Party.

If the administrators of DU decide that the rhetoric of your posts would be more appropriate on Free Republic than on DU, then you are going to get banned.

We understand that many of you feel deeply disappointed with certain members of the Democratic Party right now. We wish to make clear that you are still free to criticize the Democratic Party, the Democratic leadership, or individual members of the Democratic Party.

But the stakes are too high to let DU argue its way to Armageddon. The stakes are too high to let a few angry partisans with dubious intentions hijack this message board.

I know what side I am on. If you are rooting against the Democratic Party in this election, then just let me know by posting in this thread and I will shut off your account myself.

To repeat: these changes are in effect until the election is over. At that point, we will review whether it is in the best interests of DU to remove these restrictions.

Thank you for your understanding.

Skinner
DU Administrator

http://www.democraticunderground.com/duforum/DCForumID60/11508.html

fd289175.gif

wing.jpg

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Oh that's funny. :lol: Dims must toe the line or get banned...no original though processes allowed.

The Finman

Here Are Just Some of The Comments From Over There.

Originally posted on the DemonRatUnderbelly by Terwilliger:

Skinner, please rename this place DemocraticPartyUnderground.com...And shove it.

Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by nostamj

did Rove win?

HUGE disruption on DU. HUGE diruption at BartCop. MWO is on vacation. and there's much more that I don't know about I have NO boubt.
yup. GOOD week for Rove. bad day for DU.
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by ElGallo

What gives? Banning of longtime posters...locked threads to prevent discussion...requests for behind the scenes, private discussions...

...give me a break.

Seems to me, that once one starts silencing those who dare speak politically "unacceptable" thoughts, one has admitted some weakness in one's own position.
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by mikeysnot

I would just like to point out
that the "new way"* has done more to divide and upset this group than any freeper or repig could ever have done. I just tried to read through all the posting and believe it was a bad move but I respect Skinner and his motives for what ever reason he chose. He owns the ball and makes the rules, so be it, I will play along. I didn't see the threads he was referring to but they could not have been as disruptive as the ones that caused this much havoc. The friggin freepers are probably jerking their chains in enjoyment. Just my opinion.
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by Generic Other

Just checking to see if I've been purged.

Sterling, ewing, Indiana Green. Individuals whose ideas I had come to respect and value--suddenly gone like victims of the Politboro. Their voices silenced. Party politics Stalin-style is not to my liking.
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by tmfun

You might as well ban me too!

If I wanted to belong to a group that allows No dissent, I would be a Muslim, or a Christian, or a puke. Like they said, "it's your forum, do what you want but I find the "with us or against us" policy untenable and the very antithisis os what Democrat is supposed to mean. F*** you! F*** your forum! You all can march in lockstep just like the ones you profess to despise do. I however, will keep fighting for TRUE democracy! Bye. On edit, how the hell could you ban Indiana Green? You are no better than the people you claim to fight against. F*** you again!
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by enki23

ah well. it's been interesting.

i hereby request to be removed as well.
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by NotSterling

I was banned as well.....
After sending money to DU as well as donating considerable time and effort while incurring great expense starting the DUtv project I was banned without so much as a PM.
I am stunned. I bear no ill will towards any DUers and wish you all the best. But it is hard to think of an occasion that I was treated worse by people I have done so much for.

I am too sad to be pissed. One of the only places left that allowed free thought and political discourse is now gone for many who depended on it.

I wiull continue my national media project which will support Dems who represent the interest of the people over corporations and invite all who are interested to join us at Shadowgovernment.info

This is not a slam to Skinner, he banned me not the other way around. It is too bad we could not work together for the common good.

Good bye DU, I will miss you guys.

Sterling
watsrevenge@hotmail.com
Originally posted on the DemonBratUnderbelly by LeftistLeper

Prior to today....
I had a blast posting here...4K+ posts.
I find it amusingly sad that you can now be banned here for advocating voting your Leftist conscience. That's not what I signed up for. Later...

fd289175.gif

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I love it when they eat their own young! :roflmao:

Now that their own tactics of interupt, shout down or silence and censor, have been turned on them... maybe they'll start to see the error of their ways.

Nah!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
More like they're eating their own. What happens next...do they self-destruct?