DC commuters?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Who commutes directly into the heart of DC and how do you do it?
I'm considering using MTA and metro. Anyone have any input?
Thanks for sharing. :smile:
:flowers:

I commute to Silver Spring from Charlotte Hall. I catch the Keller Bus from behind the Burger King, which takes me to Metro Center and then Metro out to Silver Spring. It's GREAT. Beats the hell out of driving.

Aimhigh2000

Commute

I go up 5/301 to Naylor Road, which cuts over to the Suitland Parkway. From there, it turns into south cap street and then to downtown. If you want to take the MTA, you can catch it behind burger king and it has several drop offs in downtown dc, depending on which bus you take. I know the 905 drops off at Metro Center. :howdy:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
huntr1 said:
I commute to Silver Spring from Charlotte Hall. I catch the Keller Bus from behind the Burger King, which takes me to Metro Center and then Metro out to Silver Spring. It's GREAT. Beats the hell out of driving.
:yeahthat: only I take it to downtown DC (L'Enfant Plaza) ... bout an hour and a half each way.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I drive it cause I like to pretend I am a race car driver. Take Route 4 North to 301 to 202 to 50 which becomes NY Ave. Course there are days I must alternate routes, but that's the average drive.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
I commute into DC with my sister daily up Rt 4 to Suitland Parkway onto South Capital to 7th street. We average about an hour & a half each way on good days - on days where there's an accident, etc., its taken us as much as two & a half hours :burning:

migtig said:
I drive it cause I like to pretend I am a race car driver. Take Route 4 North to 301 to 202 to 50 which becomes NY Ave. Course there are days I must alternate routes, but that's the average drive.
I got off 495 @ 202 this AM and took it to 50 and then back to 495 because of an accident on 495.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Metro center is a block and a half from the new job, and i live south of mechanicsville. i just wanted some first hand info from folks who actually do the commute as to why they do it the way they do it.

D

dems4me

happyappygirl said:

Lots of Prozac, ciggerettes and Gin. :yay:

Last edited by a moderator:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
huntr1 said:
What time do you get on the bus and what time do you get home? That's the same trec i'll do, only my office will be a short walk from metro center.

D

dems4me

happyappygirl said:
What time do you get on the bus and what time do you get home? That's the same trec i'll do, only my office will be a short walk from metro center.

You will be in striking, I mean... walking ..distance from me :huggy: Will Metro Center be your metro stop :shrug: I pulled up your info on where you will be located and travel time said 1 minute... :lol:

hasnaa

happyappygirl said:

I take that daily commute into downtown DC...I take the Keller Commuter bus from Charlotte Hall (bus 905) and get off at 10th & Pennsylvania Ave (Front door of the FBI Bldg) My commute is usually 1 1/2 hours each way...10 trip tickets usually cost like $38.50 or $4.25 one way...If you get metrochek from your job u can use that to pay for your trip tickets..u can buy Ten trip tickets or Monthly passes..for more info go to www.mtamaryland.com

D

dems4me

I see I never answered your question... I take 381 to 5 to suitland parkway to a bridge I don't know the name off towards navy yard/395 south... take the sw freeway up to the 12th street exit :flowers:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
You can also take the keller bus to the branch avenue or suitland metro stations and ride the metro the rest of the way into the city if need be. I work in Shootland and I take 5 to 231 to 381 to brandywine and then hop back on 5 to get to work.. I do not miss my drive to Roslyn and downtown anymore. 45 minutes to drive 36 miles works for me.

D

dems4me

FastCarsSpeed said:
You can also take the keller bus to the branch avenue or suitland metro stations and ride the metro the rest of the way into the city if need be. I work in Shootland and I take 5 to 231 to 381 to brandywine and then hop back on 5 to get to work.. I do not miss my drive to Roslyn and downtown anymore. 45 minutes to drive 36 miles works for me.

We should car pool sometime both of us take suitland, 381 and 5 and drive fast... :lol: :huggy:

FastCarsSpeed said:
It is a bit quicker to stay on 5 to Gallant Green Rd, right at deadend, left on Horsehead Rd. to 381. Saves about 3-5 minutes.

D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
It is a bit quicker to stay on 5 to Gallant Green Rd, right at deadend, left on Horsehead Rd. to 381. Saves about 3-5 minutes.

Yeah that!!!!! I take horsehead everyday -- it's smooth sailing - just watch out for the dear crossing the fields!! :yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Yeah that!!!!! I take horsehead everyday -- it's smooth sailing - just watch out for the dear crossing the fields!! :yay:
Deer crossing fields shouldn't be a problem if you keep your car on the road. :dur: